Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Threaded tamper proof screw - how can I remove?

Tonjo

Question

Hey everyone

Any idea how I can remove a threaded tamper proof screw?

I thinks it’s a T30, at least that’s the bit I used to remove the others. Hopefully you can see from pic below just how threaded it is.

7E3F6E46-17FB-4EC5-8A58-3563013F097D.jpg

22 answers to this question

Try an "Easy Out" if slotting it doesn't help. Have you tried flat nosed pliers to get a grip around the head. An extreme measure if you have a mig welder spot weld an old allen key or bent nail at right angles then unscrew.

People drill them out. I've not had to

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Yeah I was hoping to not have to either, it’s a tricky little one though as it’s down a plastic cylinder so notching for the flat head screw driver is difficult- thanks though [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Try an "Easy Out" if slotting it doesn't help. Have you tried flat nosed pliers to get a grip around the head. An extreme measure if you have a mig welder spot weld an old allen key or bent nail at right angles then unscrew.

Sorry mate what do you mean by “easy out”?

Will try a pair of needle nosed pliers too as it’s a little tricky to get to [emoji106]

I might save the mig welding option for a time when I have an actual clue, now is not that time...

Thanks mate

Search easy out on Google. A reverse thread tool that extracts these type of things. Not always successful but worth a try.

I've found most success if you either drill out or if you can get a good grip with vise grips on the head of the bolt

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Search easy out on Google. A reverse thread tool that extracts these type of things. Not always successful but worth a try.

I've found most success if you either drill out or if you can get a good grip with vise grips on the head of the bolt

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Yep found it, sorry I thought Easy Out might have been another name for bashing it with a hammer or something...

The threaded head is down a recess so it’s difficult to get to so I’m exploring all options

Thanks mate

Left handed drill bits

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13pcs-Left-Handed-Drill-Bit-Set-HSS-with-Titanium-Nitride-Coating-1-16-1-4/152968666884?hash=item239da49f04&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuq sX8uaFEduVYSU2Wy2ILmCPudTae7Sd%2FUPS%2BjJNNsStyjVd aGKTdGyqctoue2gUsV7MhVJYgfes025az0tJtsT28wp8HvbNHz %2BB05KdmfoKyQ7ZXACdniP8jPLaku11yQs09EeimsT1I4LluN XN0qxnbBz74dD%2B2uMcKyhtO0c5T2GUYHc46KYHTdndG00Mq2 or%2BU4ooWKw1kHddNJHafentO3mbaLF0E0aFP1qkoBpUpOVOQ sk6E3d4UsB2lz9wdYZEFO9AUhCg%2FJ1bUznbt1C%2B%2FdVSU SqVJAOsS1AfQJYPCRsAACZ3r86NKhIEcB90yXQrAqMEVyP%2Fh wrkmKBsPrVf%2FBvLId0bPSlPVwVU%2B%2FIksRkqJKqFHGJkr ryqKiAUT3C7gWRsW6FhrCB0NkpZAvTMPhsvKFsOBzKMwxPY5tK IkbHU979FvIYsAh5zAEbByD0zoNIin7vl4vhFb%2FNAqVoaGLx s8WFXqvRakUkOI7%2FzvoRg7fx7tu287i1jaQJuLTJJsBKfpSc isxhRsiKWUT0JDaGTvHPzqfhAUdzW5dKWLL5iie9dxNoRLITir v9%2FXvazMPrE16itBevRoUhic0%2BARQJ4DX6FmORTQUZRcJu AusmR70s03zSD%2F5YbjUMuxyL8ZXcnla6f%2B2eYdzwAt8XVl hSaW%2BK0TAzkAa9Ou1MIlAgOYlGEXvXDPge2dJP21Yn%2FWeD WGXW3Oq2Zip72ByIGafUmvsbro7Q0jX0Gcx5FUqghkAZ8OfPjG bXWOA%2FPM7iW6sQgRiGbHt9m04wTBTpn2youRiZOrUiCOuxR5 miSkoEIO6xLiY3Ps%2Fu9xNJX5G5a7Pi28QNvASYpe5iZ9Obo2 M3QQtA7nKTN%2Bh4jt7BmMLQ4gz%2FjEgsWWuQ7E49QcgLMUh9 XH7QQxxoFZLgfefL0DtZM0JYgVOdHiVmoA3MvOpfKf0cME0qwS bw%2BajDBuDWluYl0wTUURjlDTxmTR9UipPIq%2BSE%2BA%3D% 3D&checksum=15296866688447e163d73ef44f34be84451a7a910 a69&frcectupt=true

If you have a dremel type tool thats one way to slot it or drill it out. What's it out of any way? The Tamper Proof is proving to be just that.:)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry mate what do you mean by “easy out”?

Will try a pair of needle nosed pliers too as it’s a little tricky to get to [emoji106]

I might save the mig welding option for a time when I have an actual clue, now is not that time...

Thanks mate

Try heating it with a heat gun or small butane flame if it's in plastic sleeve you might just get it hot enough to melt or soften the plastic thread a bit, but use something like a drill bit or rod to transfer the heat in a concentrated way to the tamper proof screw then with the pliers try and unscrew it.

If you have a dremel type tool thats one way to slot it or drill it out. What's it out of any way? The Tamper Proof is proving to be just that.:)

Thanks mate, I had read about a dremel but I don’t have one. It’s good to have a few options though [emoji106]

It’s from one of my cabs, what’s making it extra difficult is that it’s recessed about 20mm in, the recess is moulded plastic (of course it is!) and my fat finger only barely squeezes in...

If it was a torx you just might be able to tap a screw driver with a small hammer in ever so slightly larger than the hole and cut a small groove if the metal is soft just enough for you get a twist in to turn it loose. If it's plastic it shouldn't take too much to crack the seal. Even freeze it with a can of compressed air and use it upside down and it turns into freeze spray as the cold may shrink the screw slightly for a short period of time.

If it's an "anti tamper torx"....they have the pin in the middle, use a pin punch and hit the pin sideways and it will snap clean out of the head leaving just a torx head.

If you don't have a torx tip to suit, make an Allen key fit. It was because allan keys could be used they come up with the anti tamper torx head.

Because the bolts are hardened, there is no give in the pin so a slight tap sideways on the pin or a nail results in the pin snapping clean from the head.

If it was a torx you just might be able to tap a screw driver with a small hammer in ever so slightly larger than the hole and cut a small groove if the metal is soft just enough for you get a twist in to turn it loose. If it's plastic it shouldn't take too much to crack the seal. Even freeze it with a can of compressed air and use it upside down and it turns into freeze spray as the cold may shrink the screw slightly for a short period of time.

Thanks mate, I’ve been trying tonight but the metal hasn’t really budged. The compressed air is a good tip though [emoji106]

If it's an "anti tamper torx"....they have the pin in the middle, use a pin punch and hit the pin sideways and it will snap clean out of the head leaving just a torx head.

If you don't have a torx tip to suit, make an Allen key fit. It was because allan keys could be used they come up with the anti tamper torx head.

Because the bolts are hardened, there is no give in the pin so a slight tap sideways on the pin or a nail results in the pin snapping clean from the head.

That’s exactly what it is! It’s a tamper proof screw with a torx star and “peg” in the middle. And it’s the dang peg which is getting in the way of everything. Especially when I try to carve a channel to use a flat head screwdriver. The star edges are fully rounded though. So nothing to bite into whether torx driver or Allen key.

That small peg best enjoy its last night on the planet.

If the head is damaged beyond use, use a hacksaw and cut a slot across the head and use a flathead screw driver in the slot you created with the hacksaw.

I wish I could mate but I can’t get to it due to the 20mm recess the screw sits in...

I’ll give it another crack tomorrow [emoji106]

These are like on the steering column tamper bolts.

We used to create a slot by drilling 3 or 4 x 2.5 mm holes in a row across the centre then bang a decent screwdriver blade in there and bobs your uncle

Edited by dezbaz

The LH drill bit is the go if you had one. I use the couple I have very rarely but they're like gold when you have use for one. This kind of thing is about the sole purpose I use them for...

If the recess is trench like, you could maybe carefully use a grinder with 1mm cutting wheel to make a slot for flat driver.

@redferatu @hotty @robm @prktkljokr @Autosteve @dezbaz @razorsedge

Gday legends

Thanks everyone for your help. I’m happy to report back that the screw in question is no more!

My bro in law brought around his set of Easy Out extractor screws, and after essentially grinding down that pesky ‘peg’ with a drill bit, and then drilling a pilot hole - voila! In went the Easy Out, and out came the screw.

I can truly say that I have learnt something today.

Thanks again everyone [emoji106]