Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Getaway HS2

Why i only buy new machines now.
New machines can't recreate the feel, fun and frustration of the SS classics like Paragon, Sinbad, Firepower though...

I understand your comment wasn't really in that context, but I used to be firmly in the camp that newer machines are better/more fun but have really got into olde rmachines and loving it.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

I love and have old machines but not willing to pay new prices anymore. More bang for buck on new Imo. For example i can not understand how people will pay 14k for a Medieval Madness restore when they can get a remake for the same price with all new parts. But each to their own i guess. Back to thread sorry good luck with search :) If i spot Getaway will let you know.

I love and have old machines but not willing to pay new prices anymore. More bang for buck on new Imo. For example i can not understand how people will pay 14k for a Medieval Madness restore when they can get a remake for the same price with all new parts. But each to their own i guess. Back to thread sorry good luck with search :) If i spot Getaway will let you know.

Maybe people like knowing they will still be able to repair their game in 10+ years :unsure

Not sure my kids will be playing or fixing any 90's or prior pinball in 10+years. The new machines hold up well for home use anyway 2500 games on my Metallica and still going strong. But people invested in old games making money on repairs etc always have the same point of view. The new node boards if they fail i can swap them myself i do not need a tech or am i missing something?

Not sure my kids will be playing or fixing any 90's or prior pinball in 10+years. The new machines hold up well for home use anyway 2500 games on my Metallica and still going strong. But people invested in old games making money on repairs etc always have the same point of view. The new node boards if they fail i can swap them myself i do not need a tech or am i missing something?

Don't assume it's only going to be a node board that fails and it's still to be seen if the spike system will hold out like SAM Williams / Bally have up till now 12 plus 26 years on

@hotty do not put the ASS in ASSUME nothing suggests these node boards wont hold up. If they don't quick replacement i can do myself no tech needed. I am forever fixing my 90's machines and needing techs. $300 + labor i can do without.

All pinballs have parts the node boards help the novice like me just replace them unless i'm missing something.

@hotty do not put the ASS in ASSUME nothing suggests these node boards wont hold up. If they don't quick replacement i can do myself no tech needed. I am forever fixing my 90's machines and needing techs. $300 + labor i can do without.

All pinballs have parts the node boards help the novice like me just replace them unless i'm missing something.

The thing I reckon you are missing is that a lot of classic board repairs can be done for under $10 in parts. Yes, not everyone has the experience to be able to identify the issue, however that's where the multitude of repair guides or willing assistance and guidance from member of this forum come into play.

When I started in this hobby, I had never worked on a circuit board and my soldering experience was wires in a car stereo. Through learning I now do 99% of my own repairs and do stuff for others. It's so much more satisfying repairing a board than replacing one.

Probably also worth remembering the genesis of this forum.... It was all based around the backyarder and tinkerer. There were heaps of threads about how to make unobtainable parts and do repairs on the cheap. So a lot of guys on here are keen to keep that aspect of the hobby going and not just replace a board worth a few hundred.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

@robm maybe thats where the difference is i just do not have time to tinker if i did i would never be able to play them. If your a tinkerer then yes agree the older machines would be paradise but for me i just do not have the time. Maybe thats why i am leaning to newer machines as i just want to play. My older machines always need tinkering yet my new ones seem not to.

OK so lets PRE sume as ASS uming makes an ass out of us both

Jesus, are you telling me there is no reliability left in old pinball machines?. I work on 80-90s pinballs for party hire operators and those machines go out of here and get absolutely flogged as there are on free play and the customer pays on time as in 3 days or a week block.

Just to give you some idea how many games are played on such machines, I foolishly failed to replace a flipper link on a Bally World cup 94 and after only 2 weeks, it failed and the machine come back. I looked up the stats and the game had over 2000 games put through it. I changed the link and out she went again.

The machine hasn't been back since, about 3 months ago.

Pinballs are just like cars. Unless you repair, adjust and maintain as necessary, you won't get reliability out of them if they were NIB or old and preventative maintenance goes a long way to achieving reliability so you simply can't wait for something to fail before you act especially doing what I do with pinballs now, maintaining party hire pinballs on free play.

By the way, I own a AC/DC pro and never had a problem with it however, it has had 6 flipper links changed and now uses Williams links, gearbox grease in the cannon was changed when the machine was a week old and replaced with lighter grade lithium grease. I changed the grease because they use absolute crap and as a result, my AC/DC still has the original gearbox in it's cannon.

I learnt about the factory gearbox grease back when T2 was the current machine and we had a spat of gearboxes dying.

Repairs consisted of brazing new teeth back on the gear wheel, ( never gearbox replacement), and I noticed the grease was miles to thick and parts of the gear wheel had no grease on them at all from the gearbox factory. The pinball companies do not make the gearboxes by the way.

After changing the grease for much thinner grease and going through all future gearboxes before they failed, the problem was gone and saved me hours of brazing and filing teeth back in.

• Super Moderator

When I started in this hobby, I had never worked on a circuit board and my soldering experience was wires in a car stereo.

You soldered..? Twist and tape never failed me.! ;)

• Administrators
He Sodded:)

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/11/1194729239d313f241d6faf824d7f4121e5bb1c2b334fbbb429d9a6dd95ab1d3.jpg

@robm Too right Rob. I wouldn't be doing the job I do now if it wasn't for my tinkering and diy board repairs and masochist nature. On the other hand I also understand some people don't have the time to DIY.

Each to their own and all that jazz.