Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

System 18 - Change Game Region/Set

Hi Team,

I'm trying to piece together how the battery security works on System 18.

My current board form has, from what I can see, AstormJ 317-0146.

It appears the Japanese set has no 3 Player revisions and i'd like to put it in a 3 player cab.

Trying to find the easiest way to get 3 player roms running on this board..

I assume this means converting it to a US or WORLD 3 Player revision but they all have different keys.

Each set besides the key only seems to have a , A Bin File, and the A5 & A6 Roms different.

There is also a bootleg set of A5 & A6 Roms for the 3 Player Sets but I'm not sure I can ply them in the board with just a rom swap.

Should I just contact "Sega resurrection" for a decrypted 68k and set?

I'm really surprised the Keys are different between regions...

On System 16 and 18 it is only the Motorola 68000 program executable code that's encrypted (some early games on Sys16 encrypted the code for the Z80 sound CPU) , the rest is graphics and sound data so does not change between versions, which is why only 2 ROMs differ. So you would only need to change those 2 ROMs for the decrypted code, and a standard 10Mhz 68000 CPU.

Currently there is no way to reprogram the FD1094 Hitachi CPU module with a new key to use the official ROMs, BUT that is about to change. A guy called ArcadeHacker announced in June he has completely unraveled what is in these modules and will be releasing a method to replace the key, in the same way he has for CPS1, CPS2 and Kabuki systems. So if you are keen on keeping it as close to original you may only have to wait a bit longer, in theory by the end of this year.

Sega Resurrection is going to be the easiest, but not free.

Bootleg ROMs may well work fine, but you will need to replace the CPU as well.

Or wait for ArcadeHacker to unveil his solution.

Edited by Womble