Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The CAPCOM Home Arcade

In a world filled with Pandoras and mini-consoles, Capcom seemingly have decided to take their own foray into that market with a.. Giant ****ing CAPCOM logo. And no, it's not a late April's fool joke.

capcom-home-arcade_900x.thumb.jpg.2ec5753dca3a10b0719728a6f1874351.jpg

With 16 games built-in running via Final Burn Alpha, it's touted as having "genuine SANWA parts" + HDMI out, it's a 230 Euro monument to sheer decadence. The full list of games are:

1. 1944: The Loop Master
  2. Alien vs. Predator
  3. Armored Warriors
  4. Capcom Sports Club
  5. Captain Commando
  6. Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness
  7. Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors
  8. Eco Fighters
  9. Final Fight
  10. Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
  11. Gigawing
  12. Mega Man: The Power Battle
  13. Progear
  14. Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting
  15. Strider
  16. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Some bangers there, but let's be fair - who'd want to have something as ****ing ridiculous as this on their coffee table?

Anyway, the full trailer is here if you're keen:

Or the pre-order site is here: https://store.capcom-europe.com/capcom-home-arcade/1804/capcom-home-arcade

This just doesn't make sense to me. At that price there is no way it will compete with the various Pandora's arcade sticks. It's not offering enough.

I guess they will bring in hardcore fans and can charge a premium for a limited run of them.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/04/the-emulator-in-capcoms-home-arcade-is-stirring-controversy/

Interesting. Seems like some people are not happy with FBA being sold in a licensed product like this.

Using FBA instead of Mame could indicate a pretty low powered CPU running things.

(I am under the impression FBA is less taxing on CPU usage)

Mame license allows for commercial use - So that shouldn't be a reason to not use Mame.

However Capcom's usage seems to conflict with this part of FBA Licence:

* You may not sell, lease, rent or otherwise seek to gain monetary profit from FB Alpha;

https://www.fbalpha.com/license/

Unless some other arrangement has been negotiated with FBA.

Unless some other arrangement has been negotiated with FBA.

Allegedly it’s “been licensed”, however this apparently was news to several of the devs on the project according to twitter posts & other stuff from around the place. Interesting to see what comes of it all.

• 5 months later...

So I got hands on with this on the weekend at PAX after KOCH Media snuck one into their booth.

What an absolute garbage fire of a unit it is too. The physical shell is fairly light, but doesn't look or feel too badly mad. The buttons have a solid, satisfying feel to them and were fairly responsive. The UI (when I could sneak into it while the booth guy wasn't watching) is clean and shows bits of each game as you scroll through, although it would automatically load a game after 20 seconds or so - assume this may be deliberate to stop people poking around the menu too much (the booth guy was very adamant about SF2: CE being the only game left running). As a result I couldn't try all the games, but did get to play Street Fighter 2 CE & 1944 a bit, both which loaded fairly fast.

So the rest... They had it hooked upto a large LCD with stretch/scanlines enabled and it was not great. Still looked washed out, and being in 16:9 was super stretched out. Games like 1944 looked bizarre, as there wasn't a readily apparent option to rotate the screen into tate mode which combined with the floaty control response times made them nearly unplayable as a result. The joysticks themselves were fine physically being Sanwa stuff, but whatever emulator they ended up using made it feel like there was an extra 2-3 frames of response time added to every movement, resulting in Street Fighter characters feeling like they were on ice or the plane in 1944 going slightly further after you let go of the stick or changed direction.

There's also no indication of which buttons do what. At the top there's two buttons per player - Left one is Credit, right one is start. that's great and all, but there's no real way to know what is what at a glance - meaning that it comes off more like backyard Jimmy's butchered multicade control panel than a $370 professionally released product.

From the 20 or so minutes I spent with it on the weekend my advice is to avoid it like the plague, or wait until it's on clearance for sub $200. This is not worth your cash and comes across as an incredibly cheap cash-in attempt. It's a shame that this is the only place you can legally get the arcade version of Aliens vs. Predator currently, but hopefully now it's on here it means we'll see it on a future Capcom home system collection (like Belt Collection 2... please Capcom?).

Avoid.

capcom3.thumb.jpg.85756e190c225c5ca96ad3cfe1396f3b.jpgcapcom2.thumb.jpg.4aab797508a8596eda61d43e9e686135.jpgcapcom1.thumb.jpg.f1bd9eef7936f74d909e161ca802cd00.jpg