Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinball Power switching at the mains

shmilder

Question

9 answers to this question

You can and it won't cause any damage to the pinballs, but it will make the switch arc on the outlet breaking such a large load degrading its life, and also you might trip the circuit breaker with the large inrush current. two or three is ok but 4 or more might cause issues.

I would suggest turning the machines on and off individually on the actual game them off at the power board after that , it's how I do mine but with a remote control outlet

Think of an arcade where the machines are supposed to be used. One switch and the whole bank of machines are off. Pinballs should handle it better than videos because they use big arse transformers and fairly primitive but robust power supplys and not switch mode power supplys but I saying that the videos seem to handle it quite well anyway.

I tried this once in my gameroom turning off from the main circuit breaker in the room, when I turned it back on the next day the surge blew a tranny on the driver board on Cleopatra. Now I use each switch on the machines & power on or off with a few seconds wait between each machine. I have two separate AC circuits too.

I tried this once in my gameroom turning off from the main circuit breaker in the room, when I turned it back on the next day the surge blew a tranny on the driver board on Cleopatra.

I can't think of why turning the breaker on would lead to a blown transistor on a lamp driver board. In my 35 years of repairing electronics I've found that sometimes stuff just drops dead and in some cases it happens at power up.

I would say that the failure had nothing to do with the method of turn-on in your case. It would have been just as likely to blow when you switched it on at the machine.

That said, powering items on individually will be a lot less stressful on the wiring and breaker.

I can't think of why turning the breaker on would lead to a blown transistor on a lamp driver board. In my 35 years of repairing electronics I've found that sometimes stuff just drops dead and in some cases it happens at power up.

I would say that the failure had nothing to do with the method of turn-on in your case. It would have been just as likely to blow when you switched it on at the machine.

That said, powering items on individually will be a lot less stressful on the wiring and breaker.

It was sharing the same GPO's as the EM's when I powered on. The TARGET BANK on Cleo went full on & stayed on, Replaced the tranny and fine ever since. I think the surge of all the transformers going on at once spiked it. I had eight pins & 4 Videos on that start up. I don't do this anymore just in case it happens again.