Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

help with new universal chassis

jaredjames

Question

I just setup a new universal chassis in my cab got it going fine just have a few questions

1. what are these 2 red wires are they jumpers for horizontal and vertical one has a h next to it the other a v and 2 plugs it

can go into what does swapping these do

IMG_20181127_121006.jpg

2.I want to conect the monitor power cord to the wires coming off the stepdown box at the bottom of the machine. At the moment the monitor ac plug has a jap plug that i have plugged into an external step down transformer witch is a pain.

IMG_20181127_121827.jpg

So im wanting to know if i cut the plug off does polarity of the wire matter when connecting them to the ones in my machine?

IMG_20181127_121804.jpg

3.And last i want to conect the deguassing coil from the tube to the chassis but the plug is a differant shap

I think this is where it should plug into the chassis next to the ac input

IMG_20181127_121033.jpg

How do i know what wire goes where?

8 answers to this question

You might be right about the degaussing header, trace the wires back and see if they go to the power plug. It doesn't look like there's a thermistor there, so while you can probably plug into that header somehow, you need a switch or the coil will be permanently on sucking power and getting really hot.

Where did this chassis come from, can you not hit up the seller for docs?

People have mostly already answered your questions and I don't want to step on their toes, but to confirm and summarise:

1. The orange wires marked H & V are for alternative size settings. My only additional comment to those above: don't unplug those while the monitor is powered on.

2. 2-wire AC power supply cord orientation doesn't matter, doubly so because you are using an ISO.

3. That plug looks like it is for the degaussing coil. The degauss coil plug is usually close to AC power in and often the same as the AC power plug, and looks to be in your case. Don't worry, you won't blow it up by accidentally getting the connectors swapped around (but don't do that anyway). The thermistor @buttersoft talks about would probably be that round disc with legs near the fuse.

Note that you don't need the degauss connected to power up the monitor, though you will want to connect it sooner or later.

Please triple-check that you have everything plugged in properly before powering it on (esp the anode cap). You'd be amazed at the dumb mistakes even experienced people make.

Bet there aren't any docs, or if there are they'll be in Chinese.

Edited by Zebidee

Awesome thanks for everyone's help i used the vertical jumper so i could get the picture to fit the screen. Will hook up the ac wire today. Im still not sure what to do with the degaussing coil i get slight discoloration in the top corner. do i need to make a switch for it? i would of thought id just plug it straight into the monitor im pretty sure my other machines do not have switches

No need for a switch - degauss coil is really just a simple electromagnet created by twisting AC power lines around each other. However it will get quite hot within a few seconds if you let it go continuously. The thermistor is there to regulate that automatically. Once it warms up (usually less than a second) it opens the circuit and shuts off the current. This also means that the degauss should happen automatically if you haven't used the CRT recently, as the thermistor is "cold" and thus the circuit is closed.

Some cabinets are designed with a separate degauss button. This is because some arcade monitors don't come with a degauss function, and/or because the makers wanted direct control over it. In these cases the button must be a momentary (to prevent overheat condition from leaving it on).