Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Need glass over the TV, need the TV angled more than the table?

lordofscones

Question

Hi.

Would it matter if I didn't put glass/perspex/whatever over my virtual pinball tv playfield screen? (so the tv screen is bare, just facing the ceiling, so to speak.) Any pros or cons come to anyone's mind?

Also, would it matter if the TV sits flush with the top of the table, instead of angling down towards the back?

I am not really trying to look like an authentic table; just have the pinball games look good and be fun to play, and sitting flush all the way along just seems simpler to build.

Any input on the matters appreciated.

Cheers.

5 answers to this question

Hi and welcome!

I made my cab years ago and mounted the tv so it sits at the same angle as the glass. ie. slopes up. It sits about 2cm under the glass. It looks fine to me and I've never had an issue with the angle. I know a lot of people like to build them with the tv more flat so it more resembles the playfield of a real pin, plus gives the option of adding flashers or other things to the portion at the end of the cab above the tv. Either way is fine.

The glass cover will help protect the screen from dust, fingers touching it and accidentally dropping things on it so I would highly recommend adding the glass. It is easier to wipe over glass to clean than it is a TV screen which is more sensitive.

The more the machine resembles the look and feel of a real pinball the more it will add to the experience of believing you are playing a real machine.

Hi and welcome!

I made my cab years ago and mounted the tv so it sits at the same angle as the glass. ie. slopes up. It sits about 2cm under the glass. It looks fine to me and I've never had an issue with the angle. I know a lot of people like to build them with the tv more flat so it more resembles the playfield of a real pin, plus gives the option of adding flashers or other things to the portion at the end of the cab above the tv. Either way is fine.

The glass cover will help protect the screen from dust, fingers touching it and accidentally dropping things on it so I would highly recommend adding the glass. It is easier to wipe over glass to clean than it is a TV screen which is more sensitive.

The more the machine resembles the look and feel of a real pinball the more it will add to the experience of believing you are playing a real machine.

Thanks for this. I'm starting to lean towards glass....

Covering the playfield monitor is a must, otherwise the screen as well as anythign else underneath it in the cabinet are left completely unprotected from any unexpected "incident".

If you use glass make sure it is tempered, otherwise go with 4.5mm acrylic (perspex). Everyone says that glass is better and acrylic will scratch, however it's not a flat surface so it's not like you'll ever put anything on it that would cause it to scratch!

IMO $50 worth of acrylic is a cheap insurance policy.

As far as angle of the screen is concerned, either flush or sunken is fine. Personally I mount the playfield sunken with the back of it further from the top of the side panel than it is at the front.