Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Help recover files from my old HDD please

I have a Toshiba SATA HDD that I removed from my failed Toshiba laptop that was password protected and running Windows 7

This drive has 5 years of my life that I wish to access.

I purchased a USB adapter but when I open to look at folders I cant locate my pictures or documents

I know the password but there is no option to apply.

I tried to change security settings for access was a no go

Spent a while searching the web to no avail.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ando

pc.thumb.jpg.e75b5a9bad31659a59a3ccb4c88b5d83.jpg

so is there anything in e:/users/yourusername/ at all ? as this is where your documents and pics will be is you used windows default save paths.

if you can't see anything, try enabling the 'show hidden files' option - do a properties check of the folder and make sure 'hidden' is not box checked.

As stated above, you'll need to take ownership of the files and folders to be able to access them in windows. If it doesn't work via Windows Security tab for some reason then try this handy little program "Take Ownership Pro" : https://www.top-password.com/take-ownership-pro.html

I have had success with it in the past if windows has had issues.

My in-laws contacted me with same issue.

Which USB adapter did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Cheapie off epay

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-0-To-SATA-External-Converter-Adapter-Cable-For-2-5-HDD-SSD-SATA-III/321472968564?hash=item4ad9483774:g:pL8AAOSwI01cT8jT

- - - Updated - - -

As stated above, you'll need to take ownership of the files and folders to be able to access them in windows. If it doesn't work via Windows Security tab for some reason then try this handy little program "Take Ownership Pro" : https://www.top-password.com/take-ownership-pro.html

I have had success with it in the past if windows has had issues.

Trying this now, Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

...and then I sent the drive and cable back to its owners and when it got there the drive partition was corrupt!

Maybe I didn’t safely remove or something, I don’t know

Probably a good tip is if you get the drive up and running with these cables, immediately copy the files you want off the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

• 3 months later...

Definitely, when recovering sensitive data the first step should always be to make a copy of everything before manipulating data. Making a complete image is usually safer than copying files individually, since it avoids compatibility issues or glitches and copies over metadata (picture locations, dates, etc.) and corrupted or deleted files that can be recovered later.

To get around broken permissions in NTFS, it's usually better to just use software that ignores UAC permissions than trying to change them. Anything that doesn't have UAC, like Linux, Windows XP, MacOS, should see everything just fine.

Windows is generally a bad choice for data recovery, since it does a lot of automatic things (mounting, caching, indexing, etc) that can corrupt or kill a drive on it's last legs, and it doesn't deal with data corruption well. Linux is free and easily runs from a DVD or flash drive so it might be a good idea to check it out!

It's possible the drive broke during the recovery process, or maybe during shipping. Packing the drive with enough padding and tight enough so that it doesn't move in the box will reduce the chance it breaks, but it's impossible to eliminate completely. Always make backups before shipping!

Hope this helped!