Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The future of pinball the hobby

Surely most people back in the day didn’t buy machines but played them at arcades?

Arcade centers were a dime a dozen I remember being 4 or 5 large places that catered for pinball, pool and arcade all within walking distance of each other.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unheard of to have a NIB in your house....

It was certainly rare but no unheard of. I went out to do a house repair to do a Bally El Toro EM and was shocked to see a NIB FirePower beside it. Had to be NIB because it was the latest machine or maybe Blackout was just released.

They said it was bought new none the less and after fixing the El Toro asked if I could check it.

Amazingly, there was no speech but it had sound. I opened up the head to see if it was one of the super rare in Australia machines that to save money had no speech board fitted.

No, speech board fitted and plugged in. Checked further, dip switches in the wrong position. Set them correctly and bamm, machine now had speech.

The owners nearly fell off the re chairs. They had no idea this machine was the second to be able to talk in fact, they had no idea pinballs were able to talk.

That made me think. These people had never bought this machine for one of it's best features. They just bought a brand new pinball and had no idea.

I often wondered who was the bad salesman that sold the machine in the first place.

• Administrators

Yeah it all started to become popular around 15-16 years ago just before AA started (and this is why AA started) where 80's/90's Arcade machines were becoming readily available and most importantly affordable to the public at cheap prices and with Ebay being so popular it became the dumping ground for retro stuff. That's how a lot of us started and it was an amazing nostalgic feeling owing machine's from a real Arcade.

Fast forward a few years and 80/90's SS/DMD Pinballs came flooding in from Europe cheap and here we are.....

$30k for a Beatles, which in my opinion is a crap game is ridiculous. Prices need to come back down to reality

Beatles, In my opinion is a great game ;) opinions, you know...

Simple supply and demand determines price. If something’s not “worth” the price asked, it needs to come down to be sold. That’s why the Beatles platinum hasn’t sold for 22k.

Wrong equilibrium demand and supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Unheard of to have a NIB in your house....

Who is this dashing young fellow next to an almost brand new Hankin Howzat in his house back in 81'

Sexy legs don't you think Rich:)

IMG_3105.thumb.jpg.f8c1ba83360e661831569362970367dc.jpg

Beatles, In my opinion is a great game ;) opinions, you know...

Simple supply and demand determines price. If something’s not “worth” the price asked, it needs to come down to be sold. That’s why the Beatles platinum hasn’t sold for 22k.

Wrong equilibrium demand and supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Beatles is funny like that. Some people love it, some hate it. I am the latter but that's an individual thing

I don’t think the machine is to bad it’s the prices I don’t like, if your not in a well paid job these days you just can’t justify spending that sort of money on a toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is this dashing young fellow next to an almost brand new Hankin Howzat in his house back in 81'

Sexy legs don't you think Rich:)

Looks like the only thing that has changed since is the wallpaper and your hair! :laugh:

not sure i would turn gay for you... :p

Turn??? :lol

That is so 1970's

Even the wallpaper reminds me of my youth.

Do you really still have hair?

Pretty cheeky considering I have more hair on my face than my head...

And often that is as about as focused the little brownie camera gets...Unless you could afford a Real camera...One with a battery to allow you to focus properly...

However if you could afford a camera like that then you might as well have purchased a NIB pinnie instead....

Great choice, bad decor,

Great memories...