299 Post(s)

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1434 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troydo View Post

Jed, Thats great news about the joysticks! I have not heard great things about the Pi and its processing power and ability to run all the controls to the TV etc. Have you used one in a full cab setup?
    Yes, i've used the Pi3 B+ in both upright and cocktail machines. they have more than enough processing power to run everything Arcade, even the newer taxing 3D Arcade games like Starblade it will run flawlessly - also all retro computers (C64, Amiga) and consoles (snes, megadrive, nes, neo geo) the only console i have found it is not 100% on emulation is the Nintendo 64, as the N64 had some pretty serious dedicated graphics processing going on.

You can output the Pi to any display. it has native hdmi plus headphone jack, or use an hdmi-rgb adaptor ($5) to plug into older monitors. I've used old TV's and RGB monitors. The Pi has 4xUSB so you can use joystick/button encoders like Ipacs etc. It will do everything a PC can at much less power use, a tiny size compared to PC, and way more reliable as there's 0 moving parts and the system is on microsd. Retropie and the Pi hardware has come a long way since the early Pi systems. (Pi 1,2).

If you prefer a jamma setup, it's also worth looking at the ArPiCade, an excellent pi system for jamma cabs by @dee2eR. Search here for the thread.
    Last edited by Jed; 11th April 2019 at 12:42 PM.

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Ok Jed you have my attention, I have wanted one for a while to play with anyway I will likely be doing an LCD tv for price and space.

Looks like I can get a 3b+ for about$55.
    Any 2.5 a phone charger to charge it I guess...
    And do you need to buy the heat sinks too?
    I will really only be running older games anyway, 90s classics probably a few older too. Do you have a recommendation on memory card size?

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    If you prefer a jamma setup, it's also worth looking at the ArPiCade, an excellent pi system for jamma cabs by @dee2eR. Search here for the thread.
    Thanks for the mention @Jed. At the risk of sounding like I'm shilling my wares, it also has a four player adaptor... lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Troydo View Post
    Ok Jed you have my attention, I have wanted one for a while to play with anyway I will likely be doing an LCD tv for price and space.

Looks like I can get a 3b+ for about$55.
    Any 2.5 a phone charger to charge it I guess...
    And do you need to buy the heat sinks too?
    I will really only be running older games anyway, 90s classics probably a few older too. Do you have a recommendation on memory card size?
    I'm not Jed but maybe I can help here. You may as well try a 2.5A charger if you have one, the Pi will put a lightning bolt icon on screen if it's not being adequately powered but you shouldn't hurt it trying what you have already. If that doesn't work I can recommend the official power supply: https://au.element14.com/raspberry-p...ralia%2Fsearch they work great. (you don't need a dedicated RPi power supply if you're using a JAMMA power supply though, even without one of my boards it is easy to use JAMMA PS to power a Pi - worth putting a fuse in line if you do though)

You should be fine without a heatsink if there's some space around the Pi, if you have a pretty small case with bad air flow or plan to overclock you will benefit from a heatsink on the APU package. Don't bother with a heatsink on the USB chip, they're completely pointless but included in some kits.

If you don't want to run any CD or laserdisc based games you could get away with an 8 gig SD card, 16gig cards are easier to find though and should be plenty. If you want CD based games or 1000s of games with video previews in the menu go bigger. Whatever size with RaspberryPis you will want a good SD card. Knockoffs or low quality cards will corrupt easily on RPi.

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Awesome info, cheers!

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Yes I agree, the Pi 3 def needs the higher 2.5A power supply, particularly if you will have a couple of the USB ports in use. There have been reports of the pis not functioning correctly is underpowered under higher processing loads.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1434 Post(s)
    I've had some low voltage warnings when I run USB powered speakers out of the Pi's - but that was with a Pi2. I've been using Pi3's in the the builds I've been doing lately without the warning. As Dee2er said, get the official Pi PSU and you should be right.

For my own image i use a 32GB card which can be had inc delivery for around $11, decent quality Sandisk. I'm running Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, which gobble up a couple GB on their own. PSX games are pretty big too, can run 500MB to 1GB ish, but Arcade-only you can easily get by with smaller cards. Also depends on how much media you want - if you want gameplay videos in the front end, as that can really chew up space when you're talking thousands of roms.

Only with the Pi3 B+ increased grunt has later Midway games like NBA Jam Maximum hangtime become Arcade-perfect, which might interest you building a 4P cab.

Will be following this build thread, your cab looks like it's going to be great !

On heatsinks, what dee2er said. I've never seen need to run heatsinks, only when overclocking do you need them - and it seems like only people interested in N64 emulation or those 'chronic tweakers' want to overclock the Pi3 B+ to increase their frame rate for bragging rights... For 80's and 90's Arcade, you wont need to overclock or cool anything, from what i have seen and played so far, anyway!
    Last edited by Jed; 12th April 2019 at 11:08 AM.

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I think long term I will just get a powerboard with USB port on it that will live in the cabinet as I will need to connect tv and speakers etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information