Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

JJP Willy Wonka

Koops

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I don't want to derail the thread or upset anyone, it's just what went through my mind when watching the vid and I probably shouldn't have posted about it. I actually care about people and their health and years ago I was obese myself, so I'm not your typical "shamer". But yeah here and now is not the place for this, so sorry about that.

Pinball eh? we play with our balls, that's fun :D

They've made the SE cab art simple to entice you to buy the LE

My thoughts exactly....whereas Stern seem to put the best cabinet art on their Pro model to entice punters in arcades. It might sound crazy, but I've heard it mentioned in podcast interviews with artists like Zombie Yeti and Chris Franchi. As much as I'd love an Iron Maiden LE, the Pro side art is still my favourite.

As for Wonka, I'd have to pony up on the LE for this game. I couldn't live with that bland side art in my collection. It would also look great next to WoZ.

Watched a couple of Wonka streams, looks an amazing pin. Great layout, plenty of variety, deep rules, awesome light show, great looking play field, not a bad word... except cab art and price [emoji51]. The cab art I could deal with, the price would be more challenging. Still, a very exciting pin.

Did you guys see this is a stage show?

https://charliethemusical.com.au/tickets/sydney/

Now I think about it was this movie called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in Australia when it came out. Not Willy Wonka? Sort of like Harry Potter had different names here and the UK than the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

You really have to give JJP credit for making the effort to make pinball great again. From a playfield side of things there isn't much more that they could do right. Its a brilliant and ORIGINAL layout however there aint much in the way of new innovative toys or new concepts.

The issue with this game, and most others prior is that they are trying to do too much at once in the code. I think people were a little let down due to the lack of focus of the theme within the game due to too much going on at the same time. This MB stacking I think is the main problem here, like that of POTC as well. There is so much happening that the theme gets pushed aside. Imagine if on Maiden that Mummy, Trooper and Cyborg were all stacked. It just would not be as good.

JJP Willy Wonka

Did you guys see this is a stage show?

https://charliethemusical.com.au/tickets/sydney/

Now I think about it was this movie called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in Australia when it came out. Not Willy Wonka? Sort of like Harry Potter had different names here and the UK than the US?

Nothing like that apparently. A quick google

Finds this :

“THERE'S A REASON WHY THE MOVIE STARS WILLY WONKA.

Though the book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the 1971 movie is named after Willy Wonka. There are two reasons for this: When the NAACP was protesting the Oompa-Loompas, they also demanded that the movie’s title be changed so as not to promote the book among viewers of the movie. The second reason for shifting the main character focus was because the movie was financed by Quaker Oats, who were looking at it as a way of advertising a new line of chocolate bars that they were about to produce. Eventually, they settled on calling the new bar the Wonka Bar, and with that they chose to rename the entire movie after Willy Wonka as a promotional tie-in.”

There is a Charlie and the chocolate factory movie and Jonny Depp is just creepy as hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing like that apparently. A quick google

Finds this :

“THERE'S A REASON WHY THE MOVIE STARS WILLY WONKA.

Though the book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the 1971 movie is named after Willy Wonka. There are two reasons for this: When the NAACP was protesting the Oompa-Loompas, they also demanded that the movie’s title be changed so as not to promote the book among viewers of the movie. The second reason for shifting the main character focus was because the movie was financed by Quaker Oats, who were looking at it as a way of advertising a new line of chocolate bars that they were about to produce. Eventually, they settled on calling the new bar the Wonka Bar, and with that they chose to rename the entire movie after Willy Wonka as a promotional tie-in.”

There is a Charlie and the chocolate factory movie and Jonny Depp is just creepy as hell!

Okay cheers. I must have memories of the Roald Dahl book title then. Bloody sweets. You can’t advertise smokes anymore more but you can make a generation chronically ill with Monster drinks and Mountain Dew.

Okay cheers. I must have memories of the Roald Dahl book title then. Bloody sweets. You can’t advertise smokes anymore more but you can make a generation chronically ill with Monster drinks and Mountain Dew.

Saw some “fad” lollies the other week in a shop in healesville (they had wonka bars also! toppers source anyone?).

@Smithy wanna spend 10k each and buy a Willy CE lol

Might get @Timbo onto it so we can go 3rds in CE [emoji16]

- Con

Ahh, not gonna be able to do it, but cheers for the offer y'all

It's a crap theme for mine.

Need a bit more man stuff and metal in a pin to keep me happy, wonder what stern has for offer, oh yeah Ritchie dressed in black :D

Edited by Smithy

You really have to give JJP credit for making the effort to make pinball great again. From a playfield side of things there isn't much more that they could do right. Its a brilliant and ORIGINAL layout however there aint much in the way of new innovative toys or new concepts.

The issue with this game, and most others prior is that they are trying to do too much at once in the code. I think people were a little let down due to the lack of focus of the theme within the game due to too much going on at the same time. This MB stacking I think is the main problem here, like that of POTC as well. There is so much happening that the theme gets pushed aside. Imagine if on Maiden that Mummy, Trooper and Cyborg were all stacked. It just would not be as good.

I think JJP are trying to play it safe with the actual mechanics of the game. POTC got slammed over the disks and because I don't own a JJP game, maybe maint and servicing on previous releases was difficult??

I don't see many drop targets or major toys that could pose problems pre and post release. There's the rotating disk and gobbsmacker thing, the rest are solenoids that push things, magnets, and a tv screen/camera which are all proven devices.

So I give them credit in trying to make this game bullet proof as far as reliability goes.

JJP Willy Wonka

I think JJP are trying to play it safe with the actual mechanics of the game. POTC got slammed over the disks and because I don't own a JJP game, maybe maint and servicing on previous releases was difficult??

I don't see many drop targets or major toys that could pose problems pre and post release. There's the rotating disk and gobbsmacker thing, the rest are solenoids that push things, magnets, and a tv screen/camera which are all proven devices.

So I give them credit in trying to make this game bullet proof as far as reliability goes.

Haven’t had a long term problem on hobbit. The most drop targets on any machine and coils for days. Apart from the service bulletin fixes I’ve done zero service fixes.

Haven’t had dialed in long enough to tell. Not THAT many things on it to go wrong. Qed guy and the trap door look like the only possible mech issues. Conversely it’s the electronic parts that have the most issues. Drones reportedly fail often (I bought a dozen motors off aliexpress) and phone issues are commonly reported. Touch wood.

Haven’t had a long term problem on hobbit. The most drop targets on any machine and coils for days. Apart from the service bulletin fixes I’ve done zero service fixes.

Haven’t had dialed in long enough to tell. Not THAT many things on it to go wrong. Qed guy and the trap door look like the only possible mech issues. Conversely it’s the electronic parts that have the most issues. Drones reportedly fail often (I bought a dozen motors off aliexpress) and phone issues are commonly reported. Touch wood.

Yeah like I said I don't know if there was any issues with the previous titles. The lack of drops etc could be simply because Pat didn't factor these into the design. But looking at the game I can't see too much that could go wrong in the future. May be good management by JJP or it could just be coincidence

It’s a shame that they have to produce a game with next to zero toys to make it “bullet proof” hey. We only here about the few games with issues not the thousands that work perfect with zero issues.

It’s a shame that they have to produce a game with next to zero toys to make it “bullet proof” hey. We only here about the few games with issues not the thousands that work perfect with zero issues.

True

Then multiply those ones you hear about and that is what their helpdesk has to deal with. They get swamped with new helpdesk tickets each time a machine comes out.

I think jjp are having growing pains in their support area. I have seen a few complaints in the google group about tickets not being answered. I had a couple of dialed in tickets that never got responded to. Ended up resolving them myself but I did things I wouldn’t expect end users to resolve (drilling new holes, relocating mechs etc).

It’s a non-trivial cost to the businesses. This gets worse with the larger number of products you have to support.

A more complex machine the larger number of potential tickets.

I haven’t looked at pirates to see what sort of issues people have had but it makes sense that you’d want to build robustness into the design to reduce future support costs.

This is where stern have probably figured this out better. Reduce the potential risk by just not putting them into a machine in the first place.

Then multiply those ones you hear about and that is what their helpdesk has to deal with. They get swamped with new helpdesk tickets each time a machine comes out.

I think jjp are having growing pains in their support area. I have seen a few complaints in the google group about tickets not being answered. I had a couple of dialed in tickets that never got responded to. Ended up resolving them myself but I did things I wouldn’t expect end users to resolve (drilling new holes, relocating mechs etc).

It’s a non-trivial cost to the businesses. This gets worse with the larger number of products you have to support.

A more complex machine the larger number of potential tickets.

I haven’t looked at pirates to see what sort of issues people have had but it makes sense that you’d want to build robustness into the design to reduce future support costs.

This is where stern have probably figured this out better. Reduce the potential risk by just not putting them into a machine in the first place.

The ticket system is very hit and miss. The best way is to call them directly and speak to either Frank or Steve. Once you have one of those guys on the line they’re incredibly helpful. Your local distributor should be your first call.