Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Taito trackball

Slypinball

Question

Hey all

Im in the proccess of restoring a taito missile command.

The issue im having is rebuilding the trackballs

I have found replacement bearings fairly easily.

Now i need to find replacement rollers.

All the kits i can find are for happ trackball not taito.

Does any one know where i can get replacements at all?

If i cant get new ones ill get these ones welded up and machined back to size. 20190406_213027.jpeg20190406_212551.jpeg20190406_213040.jpegScreenshot_20190331-214204_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

14 answers to this question

Through memory they did have a slight dish shape in them new however this does wear but I never saw one that actually was that worn it needed replacing. If your hell bent on changing them or replacing them I would measure the rollers, they will be metric, and just machine the new rod to suit rather than weld and machine the welded section back to shape.

Oh man read my mind! I'm restoring my Taito Missile Command Cocktail also! Info on these trackballs appreciated - maybe it's possible to switch the whole thing out for something else? I've not dug too deeply on that part yet....

Let me know if you want the artwork for the control panels as I got my hands on some (through a very generous enthusiast). Or any other info you need! I also know 1 other person doing the same thing as us (or should be at least......) so we could all collaborate.

;)

Thanks leo but they are diffrent these only use two rollers and a bearing where the happs have three rollers https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=145831

Well you have a couple of good samples there. Take them to your local machine shop and get them to make some new ones up.

Machining is relatively cheap in todays market.

I have spoken with a friend that runs his own engineering shop he is going to have a go at repairing them for me.

I have all new bearings ordered they should get here by friday. Ill trial fit them and pass on the numbers if you need to rebuild yours.

The artwork would be great i was going to try and get them scanned up to reproduce but if it is already done that make it easier.

I have had this sitting for well over 12 months while i waited to get the board repaired.

Ill upload some better pics of the cab over the weekend

Thanks brad

Yes that will be the next stage was going to get them done in cad to maybe try and get some spares made up.

Well you have a couple of good samples there. Take them to your local machine shop and get them to make some new ones up.

Machining is relatively cheap in todays market.

I have spoken with a friend that runs his own engineering shop he is going to have a go at repairing them for me.

I have all new bearings ordered they should get here by friday. Ill trial fit them and pass on the numbers if you need to rebuild yours.

The artwork would be great i was going to try and get them scanned up to reproduce but if it is already done that make it easier.

I have had this sitting for well over 12 months while i waited to get the board repaired.

Ill upload some better pics of the cab over the weekend

Thanks brad

Last time I did them I just made new ones out of stainless steel

You risk having small weld holes in them if you weld them and that will scratch up the trackballs

Thanks will see how they turn out. Will be building the area up then machining it back to size. Hopefully will have them back by friday

Last time I did them I just made new ones out of stainless steel

You risk having small weld holes in them if you weld them and that will scratch up the trackballs

I think they were originally plated steel. Go CAD if you want but the machinist would probably use his trusty micrometer. If you hint the word CAD, you are likely to turn it from a $20 per rod job to one requiring programming and the price will go up.

Preferably you are after a machinist with an old school metal lathe and it should then only take 10 minutes per rod.

I think they were originally plated steel. Go CAD if you want but the machinist would probably use his trusty micrometer. If you hint the word CAD, you are likely to turn it from a $20 per rod job to one requiring programming and the price will go up.

Preferably you are after a machinist with an old school metal lathe and it should then only take 10 minutes per rod.

My old man is old school fitter and turner

Got a lathe he bought from a decommissioned naval ship in the 80s he worked on

Hes handy for asking to make random bits out of brass, stainless ali rod he has hoarded

And navy was all old school imperial hard to find die sets and all was included during sale

Can randomly ask to make a bsf or af bolt ect

Hello, I am wondering what was the outcome on how successful this was, and the simplest way to rebuild these trackballs before I start to take things apart. 

Have recently acquired a Taito MC and already had a working board so it is running now but need to overhaul the trackballs . Player 2 plays atrociously I presume it was once player 1 and swapped over.  Player 1 is playable but doesn't always want to go right how I want it to and can pinch. 

I have an Atari MC cocktail control panel with trackball and an SDI control panel with two trackballs.  But rather than see if I can swap parts with these or get the Atari/Happ rebuild kit I should try to find a machinist to machine new rollers?  Are the bearing a standard size - is the rebuild kit likely to be good for that?

The control panel itself could do with a touch up - is there any of the artwork still around?