Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Wine Barrel Resto

Just to share with you guys a quick 2-day wine barrel restoration I just completed. I needed a short break from pinball cabinet resto's, so I scored this 225lt wine barrel in pretty damn good condition on Monday for $179. I took to it with the wire brush attachment to remove a little surface rust, then the file to take off any sharp edges and filled a couple of small dents. Then a decent sand before painting the metal rings black and applying a marine grade clear on the natural oak. I didn't remove the rings from the barrel to paint them, on advice from the retailer, so after a painful job with the masking tape, it came up pretty well. I am going to get a thick round piece of toughened glass to place on top and use it as a bar table to place my beer on, in the new 'Alfresco' outdoor room.

IMG_3282.thumb.jpg.c099d8a6f6a2c6e286ec5bcbd3865c79.jpgIMG_3285.thumb.jpg.51364c177e64e921ad7b6ad2578b3f96.jpgIMG_3286.thumb.jpg.8d058efc5ab22e753a790a985fce7478.jpgIMG_3289.thumb.jpg.220ce4c3bbbe75af72253cdf1c99e832.jpgIMG_3290.thumb.jpg.d30b9c13ab4a3db70ee6e7297fd45bf6.jpgIMG_3293.thumb.jpg.8ced4b0e4d9f38af87636a8a53da4c60.jpg

IMG_3338.thumb.jpg.9dd21e0bbe9edd2830ec40d69fa9922c.jpgIMG_3339.thumb.jpg.bc23e5671a02155a14b09e541362e03f.jpg

After only one coat:

IMG_3318.thumb.jpg.f8db7aab6e2a0edd1a3ae812bb7baf84.jpg

Great job. Have you fixed the rings more? As over time the barrel will dry out and shrink a little? Or does the clear coat stop this?

The rings are fixed with small nails that was done before I received it. I was told I could remove the nails (3-4 on each ring) and slide the rings off but at my own risk as the timber could move and not advisable. I thought, as it looked pretty good structurally, I just didn't want to jeopardise this, so left it all in place and took the time to mask up all the timber with tape and paper before spraying a primer on the metal, then the final black coat of black Satin enamel.

IMG_3301.thumb.jpg.e1dace0d4cdca1988364b4d2f2930458.jpg

I don't know if the clear coat will stop any shrinkage but I have seen the exact same barrels at my perspex/plastic guys factory around the corner that have been there for years and they appear to have no timber shrinkage at all. They are also in the window getting the sun and light on them. So fingers crossed.

The barrel came from SA so I reckon the SA guys could pick one up a little cheaper.

Thanks for the 'likes' guys as I am so happy with how it turned out.

Well looks good and I am sure with the few extra nails all will be good :)

Where in SA? Just curious, no time or space at the moment LOL

All I know is they come from the SA wineries and a guy that works for a company that brings them over is named Luke. So I assume they come from the area east and south of Adelaide, around the Barossa, Mclaren Vale, Clare Valley, Coonawarra or Adelaide Hills regions? That's where the majority of the wineries are I'm tipping.

cool idea but i wonder if custom round glass costs a bomb? a nice thick piece of smoked acrylic would be another option?

Yes Doug, I thought of the acrylic but the Mrs wants to see the timber Oak on the top of the barrel through the glass. I reckon the glass would be around $70-$90.

Maybe have the glass sit inside the top instead of creating a void by having it overhang , the 6mm would defenetly do the job mate

Yes good point and good idea. Might have to do that i think and I may only require a 4/5mm piece. That way, my accident prone 5yr old boy wont break it.

Yes good point and good idea. Might have to do that i think and I may only require a 4/5mm piece. That way, my accident prone 5yr old boy wont break it.

Won't look as good but hey ,I've heard your pretty wild when your drunk yet to see it though what 5 years now 😭

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

It's great to see you taking a break from pinball cabinet restorations and trying something new. The way you tackled the rust, sharp edges, and dents shows real craftsmanship. And kudos for the clever approach with the masking tape and painting the metal rings without removing them. It's going to make a perfect bar table for your 'Alfresco' outdoor room.

I stumbled upon this post and thought it’d be a good idea to revive this thread. Your wine barrel restoration project sounds really fantastic! It's amazing how you managed to transform it into a stylish bar table for your outdoor space. The black metal rings and marine grade clear on the oak must give it a classy touch. By the way, I wanted to share something exciting too. I recently stumbled upon a fantastic pub food near me. It's an absolute gem! They serve mouthwatering authentic Irish dishes that are absolutely delicious. The hospitality there is top-notch, and the atmosphere is so relaxing. It's truly a great place to unwind and enjoy some quality time.

Edited by AnthonyBako