Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Classic Stern Tombstone targets

I recall there was a thread here on this subject in the last 12m but I can’t find it with a search. I think maybe @Ryza was looking for them.

Anyway, I have a Cosmic Princess and a Stars and I am looking for tombstone targets for these, ideally from Australia because I want them now and I don’t want to pay crazy shipping (and some don’t ship to Oz now with the GST).

I put in some repro Steve Young targets (not tombstone) on my CP but they fall down when they reset. I’ve shortened the springs and I’ve ground off some of the plunger but still the same problem. Any tips on how to fix this? Thx

I re-engineered off some samples - doubt you find them around, I have up at Shapeways with a rib and then without a rib. This Monday Shapeways is having a 1 off 15% off sale then at the end of the year the site is changing and they are bumping all the prices up 15-40% more on everything there. Shipping is $15 USD. I also included upgrade ones = filling in the back to strengthen up a bit more. Hope that helps.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksrepro&sort=newest

I re-engineered off some samples - doubt you find them around, I have up at Shapeways with a rib and then without a rib. This Monday Shapeways is having a 1 off 15% off sale then at the end of the year the site is changing and they are bumping all the prices up 15-40% more on everything there. Shipping is $15 USD. I also included upgrade ones = filling in the back to strengthen up a bit more. Hope that helps.

This is interesting. My Meteor has an issue where the ball will get caught on drops. So it might knock down the first two drops on the end of Meteor and then if the ball is moving really slowly, it gets caught in the drop target channel and then rests against the remaining drops. It happens commonly enough that I need to fix it one of these days.

I've seen replacement drops in another machine where the drops have a lip on the top of them which seems designed to prevent the ball getting caught. Are these like your redesigned ones? I may not be explaining it very well, but I hope you understand my general gist.

When I re-engineered the Stern's I did the same with Bally more to identify the similarities and they are almost the same but still slightly different enough to affect the pivot for lift up and then hanging ready for being hit and the part that activates the switch when down. PBR have a non correct replacement which is a blend of the later Stern's and Bally but not the correct Tombstone for the older games.

http://pbresource.com/pfdroptar.htm

hope these help

Thx, Swinks. What is the point of the ribs? Which should I use for Stars and Cosmic Princess, ribs or no ribs?

On engineering the 2 options with a fellow pinhead, we learnt that the drop target assembly top plate can be fitted with the flat surface at the very top (non ribbed drops are used) or rotate the top plate 180 degrees so then lowers the catch edge and therefore the rib comes into play. Check out the video I did the target on the rhs is the shapeways one.

I don't know the history but there were 2 options of rib and no rib and only through experimentation discovered the plates orientation determined the drop target used.

hope it helps

On engineering the 2 options with a fellow pinhead, we learnt that the drop target assembly top plate can be fitted with the flat surface at the very top (non ribbed drops are used) or rotate the top plate 180 degrees so then lowers the catch edge and therefore the rib comes into play. Check out the video I did the target on the rhs is the shapeways one.

I don't know the history but there were 2 options of rib and no rib and only through experimentation discovered the plates orientation determined the drop target used.

hope it helps

Thank you, that is very helpful, Swinks. Now I also understand what others are talking about when they say you can fix the reset problem with PBR drops by turning the plate 180 degrees.

• 4 weeks later...