Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Williams Black Knight Restoration

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“New” pin day

It’s in such bad shape, cabinet all but fallen apart. Backglass scratched to hell. Playfield has wear and ball swirls and some planking, plastics broken, lockdown plate, coin door and legs had rusting.. at least all the parts are there but I dare not try and actually power it up.

28ea28013ccb9c0839ed665bb053f518.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone help identifying the fuses for these 2 locations. The large fuse holder is in the backbox and the other is a single fuse under the playfield

9d1c3610e290ca54c9a52cd1baf2c081.jpg

30917daa7c1a96b9d793e606772de473.jpg

Just some playfield stripping today. Decided not to try and turn it on and will send the boards off for work. There’s a few hacks going on so although I could probably do repairs etc to the power board I think I’ll leave them in safer hands.

699eb23b0c8abb56e18d0e8a369466ea.jpg

Williams Black Knight Restoration

Not much action today. I left the playfied in the sun for 20 mins and started peeling away the Mylar with some success. The black borders around the inserts will need touching up but the inserts need some alignment anyway and re-gluing

77638a5211f82fb7a884c5f0c1037db4.jpg

considering the age and condition of the pin, the amount of artwork that has come away with the mylar is minimal, IMO you are fortunate.....

keep up the great work, I'm sure she will come up a treat.

Mostly Heat and desolv-it but it’s turned into a disaster. Not sure whether to keep this thread going as I was pretty pumped about the project but I’m somewhat devastated now, and embarrassed. Oh well, it already had areas of wear that I wanted to repair so now it’s really a case of shipping the playfield it to a restorer.

Bummer but I hope you keep the thread going as I'm learning from the process and find it really interesting. Nothing to be embarrassed about, I'm impressed your giving it a red hot go! I'm wondering who you use to restore the playfield and rough costs involved. Shipping would be pricey I reckon? I've got a machine that I'm too frightened to remove the mylar but the playfield needs restoring.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Always a risk removing mylar unless you know the life the machine has had. A machine that has been sitting in the sunlight for some of it's life is certainly one you don't want to attempt it on.

Incredible the heat such machines have inside them under that glass and with little imagination, you can understand what it does to the paint.

I think this is why some mylar removal jobs work out perfectly as planned while others end in disaster even though they had exactly the same process of removal done. I actually think it matters less on the process used and more on the machine's life as to whether you are successful or not.

I guess the only real tell tales of such sun damaged machines would be warped playfield plastics but these may well have been straightened.