Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Upgrading/Fixing Cabinet

henryk1984

Question

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help with fixing or upgrading my friends cabinet. I'll try to explain problem with my layman terms. His cabinet died and from what i could find it seems that hdd burned up. Quick solution would be to find some old IDE drive, download roms and install some software but I'm not sure about legal issues with the last two steps. So my idea was to buy new central unit, like Pandora's Box. Step by step I identified all plugs and they look compatible except for audio. Pandora's Box uses jack and speakers of cabinet in question are connected directly into the motherboard(for the love of god I could not find name of those plugs). So my question is if it is possible to find central unit that still uses this kind of connection(and if yes, what should i look for) or if it is easier to rewire speakers to jack? Or does anyone can suggest some alternative solution?

Thanks in advance for any anwser. If a similar problem was already resolved in a differend thread can someone provide link? I couldnt find any.

Are you updating a computer or an older Pandora's box?

Also, Pandora's box is not legal. However, old Arcade roms are not being made anymore so some refer to it as abandon ware. Selling them however it's pretty dodgy in my book.

A picture or two might help us with your your mates setup.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Its some jamma board setup, only name I could find was on manual: 'Games family, P4-4P Cocktail'(and im afraid that its not even for this cabinet since its vertical and from what i know 'cocktails' are horizontal?) and no version, which also is wierd since all photos I find on google have version number on manual. Also guys from Pandoras boxes dont sell games anymore, only hardware, you have to download games from link they provide.(semi-legal?) Pictures will be comming soon. Can you tell me what pictures would be most usefull?

They did make a Games family for a cocktail, so its nothing out of the ordinary.

If it were me, i'd get that board fixed (maybe with upgraded parts), as it will be better then anything else on the market for that actual machine.

Yeah Vadership, but like I said, what about software and roms? Also I dont have any pc that can connect PATA disk to.

You can't just dump roms and software on a hdd that is purpose built for a Games Family style machine. They use heavily locked down versions of Chinese Windows that only boot with specific drives. There are people who have hacked them, but it's a time consuming and difficult process.

If it's a JAMMA wired machine, your best bet is to just throw a Pandora's in there. However, this could raise further issues, as Pandora Boards use JAMMA+ to include extra buttons, which can cause a lot of issues with standard JAMMA cabs. You often need to change wiring on the harness.

If it's a JAMMA wired machine, your best bet is to just throw a Pandora's in there. However, this could raise further issues, as Pandora Boards use JAMMA+ to include extra buttons, which can cause a lot of issues with standard JAMMA cabs. You often need to change wiring on the harness.

And what about Game King? Looks like an upgraded version of the same setup. But also I couldnt find that audio plug on photos of it.

The audio plug on a Pandora's is only used when running it via VGA. If using standard JAMMA, audio is passed through the JAMMA harness. Well, it should be, it it's a 15khz JAMMA Pandora's Box.

I see on jamma pinout chart that pin 10 is for speaker(if i read it correctly), and on photo that it is pluged(I took some pictures but they are to low quality to post here and be usefull). Do both speakers work on one pin? I could swear that speakers where connected directly to motherboard. I asked owner to check where they are connected for sure and now Im waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

You will need to find someone that can diagnose what is actually wrong with the board.

The issue may not even be the HDD...

But if it is, it will be a matter of getting a new one, which shouldn't be hard.

Quick summary:

Cabinet powers up, self test passes, bios sees primary drive, then message is visible: Boot device error, connect boot disk and press enter. With hdd unpluged it looks simmilar.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. And if I get new hdd what then?

What screen is in there? Arcade crt or an LCD?

Looks like an LCD.

If so raspberry pi running an arcade setup would be cheap and easy.

Look up 128gb retropie

You'll need to rewire the buttons into a different keyboard encoder but it is easier than it looks.

Is it a 2 sided or 3 sided cocktail machine ?

Exactly how many games did it have ?

Also are you in Australia ?

It sounds like its just a matter of getting a new HDD with the correct disc image installed.

It'll be a really easy fix...

@redferatu I was thinking about raspberry or arduino but it requires more work than i'm capable of.

@Vadership Its a 'vertical' cabinet(not bartop, regular one), I dont know how to check if its 2 or 3 sided.

It has around 800 games.

Neither me nor my friend are from 'downunder';)

I also think that new hard drive would be the easiest solution. But:

1. can I find disc images online?

2. I dont have pc that i can connect PATA disc to

3. can I buy PATA disc with software and games online?

@iborg I also changed some cables to check if its not punctured wire.

I can't post photo of the whole cabinet, sorry. It was bougth at retailer and he dosnet sell only hdd.

Without seeing a full picture of the machine, or knowing how many sides it is, then there's really no other help to give.

I can point you to someone that should be able to supply a HDD, but without the above information, its going to be hard to tell you exactly which version HDD you need.

Also if its a standard cocktail with a vertical orientated monitor, no pandora's box board will suit it.

OK, a Pandora will suit that fine, the only trouble is you will have to wire up the 5th and 6th buttons for both players to the Jamma Harness.

But if it were me, I would get a new HDD for what is already in there.

I know someone that can do one for you, on a small SSD as well.

Not sure what he charges, but I can find out if you like.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, that machine is what we call an "upright arcade machine" with the monitor in "Horizontal" position.

How dose you go?

Vadership helped me with clarifying what excatly do I need. But guy he told me to contact is not responding. I started looking for someone in UK, or generaly closer to europe, that also can help me.