Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Power Supply

PC ATX generally have better build quality and safety features, but do not allow for adjustment of the +5V rail. Also, only older ones pre 2003 have -5V.

I've been using Mean Well power supplies, available from Mouser at good prices. RT-125A is a good triple output supply with plenty of amps. RT-85A is the same but smaller with fewer amps. RT-65A is tiny but once again, less amps.

+1 for Meanwell.

The main benefit of an ATX PSU is that the 5V output is regulated so your 5V will stay at 5V for whatever board you connect, whereas an arcade PSU will need adjustment as you change PCBs to ensure the 5V is correct. That plus they are easy to find.

But - ATX PSUs have a range of voltage outputs that are not used in arcade land, and it's a bad idea to run a switch-mode PSU with no load on it's outputs. Modern PCs put a lot of load on the 12V rail, and on most arcade boards the only thing using the 12v rail is the tiny amplifier IC This is pretty close to "no load" from the ATX psu's perspective, when compared to what it was designed for. Basically the older ATX models, or the even older AT PSUs, would be a better choice if they weren't now very old and horribly unreliable.

In theory ATX PSUs are of a higher quality, but there are a lot of crappy PSUs around with more money spent on bling and marketing than on the actual component or design.

Any cab I restore gets a dedicated Meanwell PSU, they cost about as much as a Yum Cha Ming Dong, or a Peter Chou clone PSU of unknown origin. I might use an ATX PSU for a test bench supergun but I wouldn't fit one in a cab long term.

IMG20190325171938.thumb.jpg.6402bfbea487aef9e5a07bb9346da81c.jpg

If it helps, Altronics stock the Mean-well RD-65A, as seen in the background of above picture. Quite a compact and decent quality dual output PSU, with 6A on +5V and 3A on +12V. Negative 5V isn't needed on a majority of boards and 6A is adequate for most single layer boards. CPS2 draws around 3.5A for reference. Handy tip if you want to pick up something quickly and locally.

RT-125A is the larger power supply in the foreground, for size reference.

I run ATX PSU in my new cab. A 550W who knows the brand.

I really like it, I run my Wonderboy board or switch to the RaspberryJAMMA.

I run LEDs on my buttons and a strip of LEDs in the marquee box, both are off the 12V line.

The 5V line seems to sit on about 4.85V which I’m told is fine. The 12V line I haven’t tested in a while and I’m not sure exactly what it sits on. No -5V bit I don’t need it. As others have stated, there is no adjustment available, though I’ve not needed it.

FYI I have an RGB Modded CRT TV in my cab, I have a powerboard in the cab to plug in both the ATX PSU and TV. No isolation transformer. This is obviously quite a different setup from a genuine arcade cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Power Supply

No point in making a new thread I just need to ask. What is the approximate depth of an 18” crt monitor.

Total depth from the middle most outer point of the curved tube to the neck board or whatever sticks out the furthest.

Also, the length from behind the wooden frame you need to mount it on (length of what sticks out from the back)

I need to know to see if one would fit into my cabinet

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Edited by mar.vel.ous

• 5 months later...

Sorry to revive the thread but thought it was relevant.

I'm looking to buy one of the MeanWell PSUs. Have found this webiste and wondering if it is a trusted source or better go with Mouser?

https://www.power-supplies-australia.com.au/MEAN-WELL-RT-85A

Also, Altronics doesn't have the RT-65A listed on their website. I have sent them an email to confirm.