Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Transformer humming loudly johnny mnemonic

The transformer on this machine was humming so loud it was driving me nuts.done a google search and found a post where someone had tried a few things. The last thing was to remove the L shaped metal plate that the transformer bolts through. I guess its there for heat transfer possibly. Any way i done this modification and the transformer is so quite it is amazing. So does anyone see a problem removing this plate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Do you mean the 4 L shaped legs that secures it in place?. If so I've had noisy transformers Humm before and it was just a matter of really tightening up those 4 through bolts and not necessarily removing the bracket entirely?

I think it depends on the type of harmonic the transformer produces. I had a monster bash that was really l I ud and put a square of tyre tube rubber underneath and it went silent. Also had a who dunnit that was noisy and out some 3/8 rubbers under each bolt and it reduced it a bit but not heaps.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Yea i tried the rubbers under bolts. This transformer is mounted on the back wall. I've got a sttng quiet transformer mounted on the floor front section of cabinet. But sttng is the older machine. Why move them about.

I think it depends on the type of harmonic the transformer produces. I had a monster bash that was really l I ud and put a square of tyre tube rubber underneath and it went silent. Also had a who dunnit that was noisy and out some 3/8 rubbers under each bolt and it reduced it a bit but not heaps.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

as long as you still earth it, don't want it going live and someone that touches it no being so "live" themselves.

Typically transformers hum/buzz if the laminations are loose, the bolts holding the L=-shaped brackets on also can tension the laminations but be careful as they are more than likely brass screws and will snap if over tensioned.

A lot of transformers are also dipped in shellac or varnish to help stop the laminations from moving or vibrating.

If you are wondering what these mythical "laminations" are... google is your friend!

Edited by pocketmoney
added content.

Yes the earth strap is touching the transformer still. I understand what you mean about the laminations.

as long as you still earth it, don't want it going live and someone that touches it no being so "live" themselves.

Typically transformers hum/buzz if the laminations are loose, the bolts holding the L=-shaped brackets on also can tension the laminations but be careful as they are more than likely brass screws and will snap if over tensioned.

A lot of transformers are also dipped in shellac or varnish to help stop the laminations from moving or vibrating.

If you are wondering what these mythical "laminations" are... google is your friend!

• 4 months later...
i tried a few of the above,no improvement at all to my very noisey stern.i was thinking of buying an expensive new transformer. with nothing to lose i removed it from brackets etc,and with a gas bottle flame heated it all over,not burning but a fair bit of heat. put it back in ,silent.