Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Haunting of Hill House - NETFLIX

Who else is watching this? I love a good horror movie, and people were raving on about this being scary.

I don't find it scary at all, but I will say the writing and acting are great. I'm addicted to the story and can't wait to get to the end. Up to episode 7 currently.

the best series on Netflix, the filming is brilliant.

I dont think it is supposed tobe scary, its more of a traditional Ghost theme, so more creepy than anything, its not one of those possessed demon type ghosts that Hollywood has been pumping out lately, doesn't have the cheap scares Either which is good.

Loved the original movie from the 60's so was cool to see a remake based on the Cranes at Hillhouse

So many cool ghosts, if you focus to much on the main characters and not on the background you will miss a tonne of ghosts that are standing around in the background on many scenes.

I loved the filming In this scene and a few others, one of many long shot scenes where the camera follows a bunch of characters around at once without a cut, Its brilliant.

not the scariest scene as the video title says, just cool. This is not a spoiler.

• 3 weeks later...
thought i'd give this another chance myself and wifey are right into it now. The tension is huge! about half way through wondering wtf is going to happen next, the slow reveal of the backstory is an interesting way to tell the tale and i really like how they mix up the past with the present day. Great show :)

Yep the car scene was a jumper for sure.

Not sure where they can take it from here though in season 2.

It could be done rather simply, and here is why, This series is a Prequel to the 1960's film and 1950's novel, the Haunting of hillhouse.

So the Novel doesn't really focus on The Crains as the main characters, But they are the ghosts who haunt Hill house in the novel. the Series has instead gone with the Crains them selves, which would really be a back story to the actual Haunting story in the novel and Film.

If they were to make a second series I would imagine they would simply follow the Novels main characters which is Dr. John Montague, Who is a paranormal Investigator and Eleanor Vance who is brought along to investigate the haunting of Hill house which turns out tobe the Crains, which is how it is in the Novel and film.

One reason Why I liked this series is because I do like the Haunting of hill house Novel and the 1960's film the Haunting. It did fit with in the tradition of what the novel is about as far as its a more traditional ghost style theme that is chilling instead a full blown Horror scary adaptation.

And so the series went that route also.

A couple of things that differ however in the series to the novel In the series The Crains did not build Hillhouse, the Hill family apparently did, But in the Novel the Crains Built Hill house, The house was built Hugh Crain for his wife, and So they were the original Ghosts in the house Not the Hills.

Another difference it in the Series the Cranes are set in the modern day, but in the novel they were they were around in the 1800's.

Instead It was Dr. John Montague and Eleanor Vance who were from the modern day as researchers and the story focuses on them.

So there are some discrepancies but I understand why they did that for the series.

I guess the next season will be more like the film as far as story and characters in Hill house, So likely be based Off Dr. John Montague and Eleanor Vance investigating the haunting of hillhouse. they showed Dr. John Montague for a few minutes in the series.

The Dudleys were also In the Novel So I guess we will see more of the Dudleys story if they make a second series.

The scene in the car..... actually screamed long and loud! Yes.....I'm a wimp.

That bloody car Scene ahaha, Yer I will admit it was so damn unexpected, I think every one Jumped during that scene lol. It was the only cheap scare in the series, but Because it was so random and out of no where, it was brilliant lol

Edited by jason1

I'm not sure they need to do a season 2 for this.... i hope not. Hopefully, they'll leave the Crain family there, I think the story was well told already. Great writing, acting, each character of the immediate Crain family was so well fleshed out, all carrying the grief of their childhood and the house into their flawed adult lives. I agree that it was at it's core a very sad story, moving but so tense and gripping at the same time, and yeah - some very scary moments!!

"the bent neck lady" was my favourite episode :) I love the way it messed with your head and how it portrayed the idea of time for Nell.

good to read the director just finished working on the film adaptation of 'The Shining' sequel.

I'm not sure they need to do a season 2 for this.... i hope not. Hopefully, they'll leave the Crain family there, I think the story was well told already. Great writing, acting, each character of the immediate Crain family was so well fleshed out, all carrying the grief of their childhood and the house into their flawed adult lives. I agree that it was at it's core a very sad story, moving but so tense and gripping at the same time, and yeah - some very scary moments!!

"the bent neck lady" was my favourite episode :) I love the way it messed with your head and how it portrayed the idea of time for Nell.

good to read the director just finished working on the film adaptation of 'The Shining' sequel.

it has tobe a prequel,

Other wise there was no point them using the crain family or having any references to the haunting of Hill house novel If they were not going to use the actual "haunting of hill house " story later on, . with some discrepancies I have tobe inclined it is a backstory.

thats my theory any way I could be wrong.

here is a summery of the novel, Im actually surprised not many people know of this novel or at least know of the original 60's film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunting_of_Hill_House

it is clearly a prequel, with some discrepancies it is clearly back story to Novel.

Other wise there was no point using the crain family on having any references to the haunting of Hill house novel If they were not going to use the actual "haunting of hill house " story later on.

here is a summery of the novel, Im actually surprised not many people know of this novel or at least know of the original 60's film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunting_of_Hill_House

I think it's about making the story more relateable to audiences. maybe the point of doing a prequel to, instead of the actual story of the book, is that it is more interesting/engaging as a tv series adaptation to tell the story of a family's experiences with each other and the house, of sibling differences/rivalry that most people can relate to - instead of a story where seperate people with experience in the paranormal gather together to purposely experience the hill house, as is the story of the novel.

I think it's about making the story more relateable to audiences. maybe the point of doing a prequel to, instead of the actual story of the book, is that it is more interesting/engaging as a tv series adaptation to tell the story of a family's experiences with each other and the house, of sibling differences/rivalry that most people can relate to - instead of a story where seperate people with experience in the paranormal gather together to purposely experience the hill house, as is the story of the novel.

Yer the premise of the novel is a bit more deeper than that, Like the haunting of hill house series it is more about each individual person all having their demons, While they start off investigating the house it turn out much deeper than that, and your wondering if the characters are actually seeing things or are Just simply disturbed individuals, Similar to how the Crain family was acting, However in the novel its the Crain family who are not the main subject of the book, it is those Mentioned above, they are however the tormentors pulling on those individuals weaknesses and dragging them to the surface.

The book is not really like a typical paranormal Expert thing we are used to with the the likes of the The Conjuring and so on.It is a much deeper story than that.

There would be discrepancies in the time line and characters used in this Series compared to the book, also this series did use some characters as members of the Crain family who in the novel are not members of the Crain family. Or certainly weren't while the Crains were alive.

Again this is my theory on which way they may go if they were to stay with Hillhouse, But I could be wrong.

Either way This Series was awesome. I loved it so much

Stephen King said this series was 'close to genius' - whether you like him or not, that's a huge rap from one of the most successful horror writers of all time!

Yer he is completely right on this occasion.

the filming is Mind blowing, this is them filming One of my favorite episodes, I just still mind blown by the big long continuous sweeping scene.

I loved Episode 6 for this reason.

• 4 weeks later...