Thread: Phantom of opera just died on me

State
    bluemountains
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Phantom of opera just died on me

Feeling sick, I was just playing my Phantom of the Opera and then decided to change the batteries on the CPU board as they are about 5 years old.
    No corrosion, swapped them out but when I powered up I got a flash of garbage on the displays then all black!

I have done somthing to my CPU board. I have no 5volts! I have power to lights, speaker is humming but no CPU.
    I checked the fuses, all seem ok, where else should I check on powersupply for 5v??

thanks for tips..

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1958 Post(s)
    Australia
    Check the fuses with a multimeter DON'T look at them. The fuse in the pix looks fine but it's open circuit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My pins: Wild life EM, Top Score Em, Space Mission EM, Target Alpha EM, Cleopatra SS, Pin*Bot SS, Indiana Jones WPC, Black~Rose WPC.
    My Arcades: Funland Rifle EM, Hankin Table 20", Mame 20" Horizontal Cab, 17 in 1 Horizontal 20" cab, Outrun2 sit down game rear projection, Foosball table.

State
    bluemountains
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I triple checked all fuses with DMM on cont test. All good.
    I have 12v but no 5v..IMG_0818.jpgIMG_0817.jpg

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1281 Post(s)
    Australia
    Pull every plug back out and plug them all back in. You would be surprised how well things look when in place but when pulled out and back in, you suddenly notice a connector was one pin out.
    If that doesn't help start looking for crack solder joints on the connectors. DE machines have a lot of heat related problems around the power supply board connectors.

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1958 Post(s)
    Australia
    I see your batteries are mixed types, this is also a no no. You get issues if there all different types. Also when you tested the fuses did you test them in the holder or did you remove them individually.
    My pins: Wild life EM, Top Score Em, Space Mission EM, Target Alpha EM, Cleopatra SS, Pin*Bot SS, Indiana Jones WPC, Black~Rose WPC.
    My Arcades: Funland Rifle EM, Hankin Table 20", Mame 20" Horizontal Cab, 17 in 1 Horizontal 20" cab, Outrun2 sit down game rear projection, Foosball table.

State
    bluemountains
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    Pull every plug back out and plug them all back in. You would be surprised how well things look when in place but when pulled out and back in, you suddenly notice a connector was one pin out.
    If that doesn't help start looking for crack solder joints on the connectors. DE machines have a lot of heat related problems around the power supply board connectors.
    IT WORKS!!!! THANKS VERY MUCH... I did push connectors in before but never actually removed and resat them..
    Cant believe how dodgy but clean looking connectors they are..

I am back in business.. love the phantom..
    I someties see EPROM upgrades available but dont think any point, wouldnt be any dramatic change to game play??

thanks again AutoSteve & Gemini for replies.. Had a real sinking feeling my beloved pinny was down..

all good now!

Thread Information