Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

TAF from scratch

Turning the power on in this beast is going to be daunting/scary/exciting all at the same time ! ;) .

Yes it will. You may already know this, but first time the power goes on now you have verified the transformer voltages, make sure the only connectors you have connected to the boards are the ones supplying power to the Power Driver Board. Absolutely nothing else, no interconnecting looms between boards nothing. Then you can measure the output voltages from the Power Driver Board to make sure they are all within range. I can look through the manual and provide plug numbers if you need help working it out.

Yes it will. You may already know this, but first time the power goes on now you have verified the transformer voltages, make sure the only connectors you have connected to the boards are the ones supplying power to the Power Driver Board. Absolutely nothing else, no interconnecting looms between boards nothing. Then you can measure the output voltages from the Power Driver Board to make sure they are all within range. I can look through the manual and provide plug numbers if you need help working it out.

Yeah, this is the plan, a staged power up.

All good about the voltage's, I have the details on what needs to come from where so should be good to go when the time comes.

Yeah, this is the plan, a staged power up.

All good about the voltage's, I have the details on what needs to come from where so should be good to go when the time comes.

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing the lights and display all lit up.

Display panel I had needed some 'adjusting'..

Sl2EARx.jpg

uThFXTW.jpg

Sorted !

QlHPGoS.jpg

A bit of a trial fit with backglass and display panel in place. ooohhhhh I can taste it now !!

SGmGPgw.jpg

Now to look at the scary but exciting part of powering things up. Got lights !!!

o8lrNo2.jpg

'IT' LIVES !!!!!!!

aUDYDGK.jpg

Sound is also working !!

Now have to connect switches and coil plug's, going through each connector one at a time making sure its right. Also need to add the wire's to connectors.

Gotta say, the wiring diagrams for the board connections on this machine is atrocious (was it a generational thing?), its all over the shop ! Why isn't there just a page that shows what connector goes where with what colour wire for each board, like all the other machines I have done, it was so simple !! grrrr :realmad:

Hi @FLEX, have you had your first game yet?

I'm going to call it now, the best resto thread of 2019.

Best description is yes, kind of.. ;)

The machine is about 90% working, so you can play a game (and I have had a couple, so has the family :) ), but I am still working on a couple of things. Lightboard still needs to be made, but I have gotten bogged down in getting the game running spot on.

Had an issue with the 'Thing flips' opto, found a broken resistor on the 7 opto board so replaced that and away it went. Also had the shooter lane switch wired incorrectly. The small flipper coil needs replacing also, which is a bummer as it looks like it may be hard to get locally. The right flipper is weak as piss as well, not sure what the go is with this, its a new coil and is getting correct power.. Anyway, it is working so I am trying to focus on the following -

- Left magnet wont energise even though everything looks ok and is getting power. Its like the driver board is not telling it to work or something, but tried another board and same thing.

- Having massive issue's with insert lighting;

First up nearly 1/4 just wouldn't come on, but this was a simple fix due to missing jumper wires from one socket to the next. As all the lamp sockets were cut off the loom before I got it they were mostly non-existent.

Biggest issue though is there is a HUUUGGGEE amount of ghosting/feedback, or something going on as multiple lights come on at once all over the place! I am assuming I have a diode or something in ass about, but have tested all the diode's, checked all my cable runs and it all seem's fine, its got me really scratching my head. I think I will have to pull every socket, remove led, and test one at a time.. :119: The odd thing is the top left and right pop lights dont come on in the service test's, but will come on when your in a game...

ovwvOEm.jpg

myAf8WE.jpg

Sorted the right flipper. After reading a bit about issue's online it turned out to be as simple as cleaning the flipper opto's :D

Had a bit of a forehead slap moment when delving right into the insert lighting issue's. After scratching my head for a while and double checking all my wiring, I realised I hadn't installed any diode's on the pop lights! Never even crossed my mind as every other game I had restored didn't actually have controlled lighting on the pops. As soon as I realised this I double checked a couple of the other assembly's I had to fabricate, and it turns out I hadn't put them on the chair lights as well. Added diode's to all these and BOOM, all lamps are now working (aside from a buggered diode on a light board) as expected :038:

Moved on and wired up the display panel 'THING' lights, so thats all sorted.

Havnt really gotten back to that left magnet though, but aside from that everything else on the pf is functioning spot on!

Onto the headbox lightboard now, and just need to figure out what is going on with that magnet and the machine is finished :D

This diode was open circuit which operated the extra ball insert

FYRZ6Gx.jpg

Display panel lights working

HnaI2Xj.jpg

All lights working!

HMIJhai.jpg

Tackled the light board last night

tCHLdIL.jpg

Trial fit

22AlbcT.jpg

Using images sent over by Turbo27 (thanks again mate :041: !!), i marked out the light socket holes, first the controlled lights with the push in lamp holder, than the smaller GI lampholders..

S7EoLkm.jpg

xTvaDCi.jpg

Light sand and an undercoat, nearly done!

cFodNRV.jpg

I also spent some time trying to figure out the issue with the left magnet. Went around in circle's for a while as the weird thing was everything seemed to be working, and the coil tested ok. After some time scratching my head I decided to plug the cable to the left magnet into one of the known working magnets, and it worked! I was confused as the left magnet tested fine in a resistance test when unplugging the magnet and testing the pins. I examined the pin and socket and than I saw it, the pin's on the left magnet are in the wrong holes in the 3 position plug!! Whenever I tested the magnet and wiring it would be at this connection point, and both sides of the system would test fine as the connection it self was wrong..

Here is a screen grab showing the issue from an old pic I took when I first finished the underside of the pf

o59KjHs.jpg

Gotta scratch your head sometimes, and just wonder why/how?! Hindsight always makes an ass out of us though, lol. :120:

Edited by FLEX

Finished off the lightboard two days ago with a coat of gloss white (and a beer :) ).

YTUD37o.jpg

Lat night I install the sockets and cabling

cUWMehX.jpg

and put it in to see if it works

5dMsDe5.jpg

9NA79qX.jpg

So close to going in the lineup now!! Still needs a tidyup inside, and need to find a flipper coil for the small flipper though :(

50ek1CK.jpg

3eJ5V8y.jpg

noticed a weird issue with the translite, looks like the print has moved or something, creating two images. It is really hard to look at as your eye's cant focus on it. Kind of like looking at an old 3D image without the tinted coloured glasses, lol.

Will see if I can get a replacement from where I got.

kG0KVIg.jpg

b9KkRwX.jpg

I do wonder about the clear cloud topper, wouldn't mind seeing the effect of the smoked version out of curiosity..

• 4 weeks later...

Received new translite, perfect!

eXbqCHz.jpg

e6RmAQq.jpg

In the short amount of test games played the ball was lost over the back board twice! It seems to be the speed it comes from the left flipper makes it ramp up the right side of the centre ramp and launch it over the top, lol. Decided to make a cover to fix that. Had to use the heatgun to soften it up, and get it to fit more snug on the curving ramp.

pPY4mWs.jpg

PMRiWj0.jpg

k7VtUtz.jpg

Noticed that if you combo the left loop to left ramp it also does the same on that hairpin. The ball doesnt drop into the cabinet like the other one, but when you have hit what is the most perfect, smooth combo, the ball rattles out of the hairpin and hits the side of the cab, resulting in it coming back down the ramp from where it came from. Not very satisfying! I made a cover for that area as well.

snm2SHd.jpg

wcbWIHK.jpg

These guides/covers are so easy to make. This is the second or third time I have added some non-original guides/covers to a game, IJ being the other that comes to mind, and for such a simple thing they can hugely increase the games playability, and relyability. I really dont understand how the machines ever fared on location without such simple things to prevent lost balls/air balls etc. They are must have's (especially on IJ at the 3 drop bank).

Received new thing flipper coil as well so that is working spot on now.

Its getting VERY close to 100% now !

Great idea with the covers, would you have a picture of the one in IJ you did?

I made two for IJ, one for the 3 bank, and one for the single. There is zero air ball's in the game with both these installed, and no more 3 bank to left outlane drain.

OEMU8wD.jpg

ChEaglJ.jpg