Thread: TAF from scratch

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    288 Post(s)

TAF from scratch

Well I have been gathering parts for a TAF now for about 5-6 years and I believe I have most of the machine bits sorted to start. It has been around a year since I finished an IJ and I have found it seems to take around 6 to 12 months for the motivation to kick in to start another restore. In this case I needed more then usual because of the work needed, but its come around so im getting stuck right in. This was always a grail pin for me, not up there with IJ but certainly top 5. I must admit though that I think my family is more excited about this machine coming to life then any others I have done. The weird thing is I never really watched the movies when they first come out. I only watched them properly (saw parts back in the day, but never took much notice) more recently with the family, and was completely blown away by just how great they were!!

These parts have come from all over the world really, local, US, Romania, Bulgaria, UK, lol ! I originally had a p/f to be restored, but when CPR did a repro I grabbed one of those real quick!
    Since starting out the less common parts have become a lot easier to get (if you want to buy them new), like the bookcase assembly, Thing hand assembly etc, so it was really starting to come together.

If anyone has a suitable complete cab lying around (doesnít need any hardware) I might be interested as I will have to make one from scratch otherwise.
    Also, desperately looking for a mansion light board (the big one). Going to have to improvise with this I think..

Anyway, here are a few picís of progress so far..

Cabinet parts etc

Playfield parts

Boards, wiring harness for cab (I think), and metal backbox plate

New parts needed

So the first thing I did to start getting my head around it was pull out the old p/f and lay all the parts out on it. This would also confirm what parts I had missing (to some extent)

Then it was time to send all the metal bits off to get redone. I normally get stuff electroplated, but the thought of sending so many small parts away, and the very long turn around times (talking 4 to 8 weeks) with the company I normally use, was cringy. I have a powdercoater around the corner so decided this might be worth a shot. The TAF theme seemed to kind of suit black anyway, so I had all the parts done in satin black. There was around 30 parts. A week later I had them all back finished, and it cost a grand total of $150 for the lot !! Happy is an understatement, and I will be doing this again next game !
    One thing I learned = Obviously you need to put screws in any threaded hole so they dont fill up, but the lesson was to keep the ends of each screw flush with the back of the hole (dont screw them through). This will stop the buildup of coating on the end of the screw, which makes it harder to get them back out afterwards..

Now its time to start assembly for real !

All boards have been sent to Ken, serviced with game roms installed, and returned back to me, Thanks Ken!!

I will keep posting updates as things come along..

State
    Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1670 Post(s)
    You can never put up enough pictures of a build like this.......just saying......

Dave
    Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    fantastic work, will watch with interest

State
    Port Pirie, South Australia, Australia
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Wow, projects don't come much bigger than this. I'm sure it will look amazing and looking forward to the updates

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)
    Liking the idea of the black mechs ,

State
    Singleton NSW
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Im pretty sure Timbo does new cabinets and backbox fully decaled and earth braided etc etc if you wanted it to be; or plain. Im excited to see the progress, great stuff
    Open the door carefully: things are not as they seem! With a pinball that isn't, flippers that aren't, and a clock that's not, keep telling yourself it's only a game

In: Diner - Whirlwind - Rollergames
    Out: DH, RS, FT, WH20, JB, HS2, TZ, FH, ES, CFTBL, Captain Fantastic, Royal Flush, EATPM

State
    Toowoomba, QLD
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    I have an Addams in the same 'graveyard'......Hoping this thread motivates me to get it started.

I think I like the black, will wait to see it on the playfield.
    Wanted: Harlem Globetrotters Pinball

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    288 Post(s)

Bookcase assembled from scratch with new ir boards wired up. Yes, it would have made sense to have different coloured wires for the top and bottom.. Anyway, have plenty of pic's and colour coded things with cable ties..
    Also had the turntable facing the wrong way lol, guess this is what happens when you have never seen one before !

Question - Can anyone advise if there is suppose to be a saddle or clamp supporting the bookcase cable's (the IR board ones)? Seems odd to not have these supported with anything but the solder connection's. I have some corro tube to go over them but still..

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Quoted
    558 Post(s)
    Massive task. Great admiration for ya & top job so far. Will watch this for sure.

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    288 Post(s)

Sunday night progress..

Ordered the wrong sling switches. Thought they were all the same, so only looked up the first sling part number I found and ordered 4 of. Of course this was the only one that was different to the rest, so had to turn 3 of them around.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information