State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mame71 View Post
    Awesome job!!
    Is the ply the same thickness as one used on all WPC cabinets (i.e. US)?
    If so, do you where I can purchase some? I wouldn't mind to buy a sheet myself.

Keep up the great work?
    Thanks
    Ed
    Thanks!
    Yes, it is 3/4 inch the same as original WPC cabs, 19mm in metric. It is classed as AA-A marine ply, and I order it through a local timber supplier. The size is uncommon so you wont find it stocked generally.
    WTB: A TRANSFORMER THAT SUIT'S: BR, BSD, BoP, CftBL, DW, FH, FT, GI, HD, HS2, Hurricane, PZ, Slugfest_92, T2, TAF, TAFG, TZ, WH2O. PART NUMBER 5610-12835-00

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLEX View Post
    Thanks!
    Yes, it is 3/4 inch the same as original WPC cabs, 19mm in metric. It is classed as AA-A marine ply, and I order it through a local timber supplier. The size is uncommon so you wont find it stocked generally.
    Thanks

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Looking great man, keep up the great work.

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

Time for the base, including a tongue fr the cab groove

A bit of a trial fit before getting the glue out (remembering to drill screw holes before starting with glue!);

Glued and screwed;

Installing the finer cab detail stuff. Borrowed a mate's Paslode nail gun, bloody awesome!

Ran out of angled timber for corners so gotta do a trip to Bunnings, coming along though!
    WTB: A TRANSFORMER THAT SUIT'S: BR, BSD, BoP, CftBL, DW, FH, FT, GI, HD, HS2, Hurricane, PZ, Slugfest_92, T2, TAF, TAFG, TZ, WH2O. PART NUMBER 5610-12835-00

State
    Coomera QLD
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quoted
    213 Post(s)
    The great work continues. At this pace you'll be finished in a few weeks.

A quick question out of curiosity...why didn't you cut the coin door, rear of cabinet vents, and speaker hole before assembly?
    I have propelled the ball along the proper trajectory and been rewarded

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Iím in total awe of this thread, just read it front to back.
    @FLEX....Is it too early to ask for dibs when you decide to sell it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    In: Road Show, Bram Stokers Dracula, Star Trek Pro, Batman 66 Prem, Deadpool Pro, Munsters Pro, Getaway, Judge Dredd, Aerosmith Pre
    Out: Baywatch, Tales from the Crypt, Ripley's Believe it or Not, Grand Prix, Johnny Mnemonic, Star Gate, Lord of the Rings

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The great work continues. At this pace you'll be finished in a few weeks.

A quick question out of curiosity...why didn't you cut the coin door, rear of cabinet vents, and speaker hole before assembly?
    Yeah, may even be spraying this weekend!

To tell you the truth, I have no idea when I first started leaving the cutting and drilling until after cab assembled !! Just a habit I got into I guess.
    I have found good and bad to both approaches, but the main one is that when its put together you have the whole picture right in front of you, which I prefer (less chance of screwing up perhaps? There are a lot of replicated holes/cuts across apposing pieces of timber, so more chance of picking up something before cutting), and also, you dont have to clamp/drill/cut/move/clamp/drill/cut etc, as its all solid and in place, Just mark and drill/cut.
    This is how I justify it anyway .

I have been meaning to ask you though, could you check the playfield pivot nut location on the side of the cab for me please? Could you measure its location from the front of the cab, and up from the bottom and let me know what you get? I have measurements for a getaway with the slider style type, but it has two so not sure if one of those lines up.

Quote Originally Posted by symonz View Post
    I’m in total awe of this thread, just read it front to back.
    @FLEX....Is it too early to ask for dibs when you decide to sell it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers mate! This will be in my collection for a long time, but will keep you in mind

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

Decided to tackle the headbox, starting with routing the groove for the back panel to fit in..

Made sure to run a saw line through first at the right depth so there is a nice clean line to route to, otherwise the ply would probably splinter and chip.

Trial fit, and get dimensions for back panel to ensure neat fit.

Installing the details, made a bit of a blunder though, forgot to run a slot across the top panel before installing . Will have to do this the difficult way now its glued..

This is my working out drawing, if you can understand it your doing better than me !!

State
    Coomera QLD
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quoted
    213 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't done anything like this before so was interested in the logic you've followed.

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX View Post
    I have been meaning to ask you though, could you check the playfield pivot nut location on the side of the cab for me please? Could you measure its location from the front of the cab, and up from the bottom and let me know what you get? I have measurements for a getaway with the slider style type, but it has two so not sure if one of those lines up.
    Sure I can measure a cab on the weekend but doesn't TAF use the pivoting hinge thingie rather than the sliders. The only cab I have with that style is Dr Who. That playfield might be lower in cab due to Time Expander. size. I'd strongly recommend getting bolt location measurements from a TAF as I'm pretty sure these holes varied a little bit in early WPC. I've previously been caught out with this between getaway and T2.
    I have propelled the ball along the proper trajectory and been rewarded

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    Hey @FLEX what was the router bit used for your mitre joints? Can you get them locally?
    Loving this thread btw.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information