Thread: TAF from scratch

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    274 Post(s)
    Australia

Its the little things you don't realise until you are putting it together.. Had to make a bracket for these plastics, and do the wiring for the vault hole.

At this point I noticed I missed a bumper post, lol.

The Thing ramp needed a new steel flap so did my best to replicate the old one and replace;

Now time for the side rails and backboard. I had two of the rails, but not the main one up the right side so kind of had to make it up as I went. Grabbed some nice Tassie Oak from Bunnings for those, and some ply for the backboard. Thanks for the measurements on the backboard @turbo76 !
    This is the first time I have had to make side rails. FYI Tassie Oak is bloody great stuff to work with!

Gave them an undercoat and first top coat late last night, will give them a light sand and another top coat tonight and they are done!
    WTB: A TRANSFORMER THAT SUIT'S: BR, BSD, BoP, CftBL, DW, FH, FT, GI, HD, HS2, Hurricane, PZ, Slugfest_92, T2, TAF, TAFG, TZ, WH2O. PART NUMBER 5610-12835-00

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    274 Post(s)
    Australia

Timber side rails finished!

Just trying to figure out what needs to be done for the ramp now. Decals and Metal ramp protectors installed..

Bear kick plastic installed as well as one of the switches

Need to mount the rest of the switch's, and run wiring to everything.
    WTB: A TRANSFORMER THAT SUIT'S: BR, BSD, BoP, CftBL, DW, FH, FT, GI, HD, HS2, Hurricane, PZ, Slugfest_92, T2, TAF, TAFG, TZ, WH2O. PART NUMBER 5610-12835-00

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    274 Post(s)
    Australia

Really surprised me how much work was in the ramp assembly. A lot of mucking around with making the wiring loom's (one for the four switches and one for the flashers), mounting switch assemblies, soldering, drilling, etc..

Make new ramp flap for shooter lane. Shooter lane ramp and wire form installed..

Final coat of paint and decal application for the backboard.

Spent way to much time trying to figure out this plastic setup , plus had to make the brackets for the phone plastic, rivet's..

Does anyone know were these plastic's go??

Also struggling to find the left ramp entrance switch bracket. If anyone happens to have one lying around they want to sell me that would be awesome!

Aside from a couple of minor things, the centre ramp lights (need to make plastic) and apron install looks to be all that is left..

State
    Newcastle Australia
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1872 Post(s)
    Australia
    Nice work.
    Inspires me to finish the playfield swap when Iím back home next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Artist Formally Known As #1

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Australia
    Reckon those two plastic pieces are extra and not needed. I have a few !!

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)
    Australia
    lovin' your work @FLEX

few questions...
    1. replacing the blue metal flaps for the ramps, where did you get the mushroom head rivets?
    2. are they aluminium? zinc plated brass?
    3. the bookcase? on the circle that rotates? where you made the bracket....there are some what look like mini metal posts.
    4. are they mini metal posts?
    5. do they go through the playfield with a nut on the other side or self tapping?
    6. can you please tell me the height from the base of the post where it sits on the playfield to the tip of the post?
    7. can you give me a part number for them please?
    Cheers

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    274 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    lovin' your work @FLEX

few questions...
    1. replacing the blue metal flaps for the ramps, where did you get the mushroom head rivets?
    2. are they aluminium? zinc plated brass?
    3. the bookcase? on the circle that rotates? where you made the bracket....there are some what look like mini metal posts.
    4. are they mini metal posts?
    5. do they go through the playfield with a nut on the other side or self tapping?
    6. can you please tell me the height from the base of the post where it sits on the playfield to the tip of the post?
    7. can you give me a part number for them please?
    Cheers
    No worries Rich!;

1. I got these from PSPA, part number 07-6688-18N rivet 3/16 x 1/8 nickel
    2. Nickel plated brass I assume
    3. If you mean the post's on the actual turntable then yes they are, part number 02-4003 from the manual
    4. yes, see above
    5. They go through the turntable and have nuts underneath.
    6. Cant right now, but just go with the above part number and you should be sweet.
    Anything else let me know
    Last edited by FLEX; 1 Week Ago at 04:28 PM.

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    274 Post(s)
    Australia

Had to make the plastic for the Thing ramp, once again just used a piece of acrylic from Bunnings and tried to replicate the original off images etc;

Wiring done and installed.

Had to make a loom for the wireform switch and flasher, tidy up a few things here and there as well.
    I think I just have to install the apron decals, fit the thing, and maybe I am done...?

State
    Ballina NSW
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    274 Post(s)
    Australia

P/F DONE !!!

Just need to track down that left ramp wire gate bracket (looks like Marco's may have one that should work), tidy up (few cable ties) the wiring underneath, and its on to the cab!

Man, completely underestimated just how much work this would be, even though I have done big restore's before, this was on a whole other level.
    Not out of the weed's yet though as the cab still needs to be done, but these are fairly generic and straight forward, unlike the p/f.

Anyone know were this wire form goes, in one of the subway's perhaps?

Time for a big cleanup lol !!

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone advise me what are the correct flipper button switches for a TAF (part number)? They dont reference them in the manual, and in the TAF Gold manual they reference the switches but they are the opto version.
    I do have some spare opto switches though, is it worth using these instead?

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Australia
    Wire form goes up the back near the thing eject
    Sits flat on the playfield

Only just installed it myself the other day

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast