Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

A reintroduction - My Pinball Story

I recently made a PINSIDE account and wrote a story for my profile, which i thought i might as well share here as i never really introduced myself.

G'day - My name's Jason (29). I'm from Townsville, Australia & I've been playing Pinball since 2015.

There were only a handful of places you could play Pinball growing up where I live. My earliest memories of Pinball were of a Twilight Zone at the Minigolf back in the 90's, then again at a small arcade next to a movie cinema in the early 2000's where they had Guns n Roses + others. In 2007, me and some mates were grabbing food near this arcade & saw they were closing down and were auctioning off all the games. We didn't have enough money for the pinnies but we did have enough to buy Gunblade NY - a 90's Sega 2 player shooter. It cost us $700 which we split between the 3 of us. We played it non stop over the weekend and that was the end of that. After a few years this game migrated its way to my house where it sat (and still sits now) broken from transit.

gunblade.thumb.jpg.8f6d1419f1e35223f05cf0a6095b8b25.jpg

Fast forward to December of 2014, my Youtube randomly started suggesting me arcade tours , pinball tournaments & tutorials. The first videos i remember in particular were Johns Arcade 1UP Bar Tour & a PAPA World Championship Qualifier. What stood out to me was the commentary during the Qualifers. I couldn't believe there was so much depth and strategy to Pinball. I instantly drew a connection to Magic the Gathering, which is another niche hobby I play - with a worldwide following, cards that are rare and expensive, high stakes tournaments & in depth strategy. I also couldn't believe that so many people had such a large collection of expensive machines. It seemed crazy to me at the time. I don't know if any of you have seen the Tetris Classic championships on Youtube recently, but that had me hooked in a similar way - exciting, in depth commentary.

After watching videos night after night, i decided enough was enough and started to look for my very own machine to buy (keep in mind i hadn't played a machine since i was a kid). I googled 'Pinball Townsville', and managed to find someone nearby (@robm) that restored and sold machines. I drove to his house and saw a room full of machines - I was like a kid in a candy shop. He only had 2 machines for sale at the time - an Avengers Hulk LE & a Bally KISS - we played them for ages and from memory i think i remember being slightly dissapointed with overall gameplay as i'd been watching too much Bowen Kerins. This didn't stop me however. I've always been one to enjoy hobbies I could play and research without others around to guide me - i enjoy figuring it out as I go. After months of searching, i settled for a Tales from the Crypt off EBAY for $3500 AUD including shipping. I didn't really care if this was a good price, I just wanted to start my Pinball journey.

tales.thumb.jpg.b650807786f0e9a173454abad841d3ac.jpg

In the beginning i think i liked the look of it more than the game itself. It was fun, but i sucked (i still suck now to be fair). I ended up grabbing a Super Mario Bro's about a month later, followed by a WWF Royal Rumble. Still wasn't impressed. Then i found a Lord of the Rings - this game had my attention. Not only was it by far my most expensive purchase, but the progressive rule-set made me want to become a better player - i was finally starting to understand the game.

13567112_1731386077104290_761824338605156797_n.thumb.jpg.2a5eb0e916462d701f473f83108c3eb3.jpg

I own a hippy/piercing/psychic shop in a busy shopping centre where I live. In April of 2015 I decided I was sick of looking at the vacant space opposite my shop & opened up a hybrid Collectables/Pinball/Arcade joint called WZRD Collectables & Retro Arcade. This place was a hit - Townsville hadn't seen anything quite like it. Due to unforeseen events, the shopping centre kicked me out of this space after 6 months. This was a hard hit. I'd overextended into this venture & couldn't stop now. I continued this business outside of the centre but it proved too difficult & costly. By now i had amassed about 13 Pins and 10 arcades - but i was also flat broke. I gave it one last Hoorah in 2016 but ended up getting robbed twice in 2 months, the final nail in the coffin - RIP Wzrd.

1836265650_wzrdcollectables.jpg.071a98238ea13e27d88ee67bdeae2088.jpg

668474131_wzrdcollectablesversion2.jpg.2320190907e0a1a7e3ba04f5e3f1a9d0.jpg

1345811839_breakin.thumb.jpg.01afe0ea83783cd1d2eaccdac223fd8b.jpg

jason.thumb.jpg.69977718c8bb5a125c46c8d0be1ff1ac.jpg

I attempted to put any machine I could into any location I could - a trendy local pub, a jazz bar & the last video rental store Townsville would ever see. It wasn't until Christmas, when our local newspaper had their staff party at the jazz bar. The 4 Pinball machines we had down there (this place is in a 20 stair basement) were set to free play for the party and were the centre point of the event. This started a strategic partnership between myself & the venue manager. in 2018 we transformed this into Townsville's first Bar Arcade; Empire Alternacade - a double hit of nostalgia with the games + 90's grunge atmosphere.

51795593_2120669948244350_6705432212440875008_o.thumb.jpg.8a2437898703705b15cd26d7f345fbb2.jpg

Fast forward to today. Empire is kicking strong, with a second location heading to Mackay (4 hours south) in a weeks time - we are one of Australia's few Stern Army locations with a great league and community. I have a Pinball / Skate influenced clothing brand (Pinhead Australia) & stream with mates once a week. My partner & I had our first son 2 days ago - another Pinhead in the making. Our monthly league is tomorrow so I better head down & tune up the machines. Thanks for listening.

*We later discovered the owner of the Guns & Roses machine bought at the auction lives 5 houses away - which we are currently fixing*

54727357_10156953803635479_8122429519249276928_n.thumb.jpg.4685c526eb309e0dc03ec68706244b3b.jpg

wzrd111.thumb.jpg.986913a2a1607c5feab89ade525e4a74.jpg

18359467_1869976299911933_3535570129691222702_o.thumb.jpg.6841e631a4932e1bbdd1c038e27c63f8.jpg

Awesome story Jason, and thanks to the efforts and expense you have made along with @AlexMc to really get the pinball scene cranking in Townsville. Many people have no idea the headaches, frustration ,expense and stress that organising, repairing, maintaining etc machines can be for local comps and social gatherings. I still remember the first get together i had at my place, 3 AA members and 1 extra! Then the next comp had about 8 people in it, now we are regularly geting 20-40 people at venues around town. Having a public venue has made the hobby so much more accessable to many more people, and we have definitely captured a few more hardcore players in the last 6 months (Chris S, Alex C, Tom C) that are now regulars and pretty good players....speaking of such, i don't agree with your statement about you sucking at playing!!

Oh, and massive congrats on bub, hope all is travelling well and will catch up with you and the rest of the gang tonight.

Cool story. Sounds like things are going better after the earlier setbacks and lots to look forward to.

Congrats on the little one. It's an amazing time that can be challenging at times but very rewarding as you navigate the varying stages of their development. All the best and thanks for sharing.

Great meeting you last week great to hear the little boy has made his way only a day after if I’m reading this right. I’m sure to come visit again love the venue and staff are great at Empire

Great intro story - you've lived a long pinball life in a pretty short time!

Good to see another MTG nerd. also a chronic hobby of mine, played since fallen empires - can't quite believe that set was released almost 25 years ago...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...