Thread: USB Hard Drive Question

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1201 Post(s)
    Australia

I guess my alternative is update the RPi model, one that can power the HDD directly off it's USB ports and then when the RPi is put into standby, the HDD should spin down?.

State
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1425 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    I guess my alternative is update the RPi model, one that can power the HDD directly off it's USB ports and then when the RPi is put into standby, the HDD should spin down?.
    This is what I would do. Have the Rpi, use its in-built options to shut the drive down.

Brad

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1201 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    This is what I would do. Have the Rpi, use its in-built options to shut the drive down.

Brad
    That is pretty much my thinking. Update to a RPi 3 where I have 4 USB ports instead of just two like my model has with ports powerful enough to drive the plug in USB 3 HDD where as my model RPi doesn't. Use the inbuilt BluTooth feature the RPi 3 has instead of the plug in USB BluTooth mine uses for the keyboard connection and that leaves 3 spare USB ports, one of which I use for adding content from Sydney, ( a 32GB thumbdrive) and use one other USB port for the 64GB thumbdrive I use for stored content that isn't on the HDD itself.

But here lies my problem going that way. I loose the safe shutdown script and the full CPU reset feature I added and because it is a RPi 3, my existing OpenLec software isn't compatible and my skills doing software for writing the image are totally non existent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information