Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Taito Safari PCB Repair Log

I spent a bit of time looking at the PCB last night and compared the gameplay to the video that has been uploaded to Youtube.

7cmKDkW.jpg

First test of the PCB:

Board issues:

1. Antelope's legs dont move and only travels in horizontal direction. (fixed)

2. Buffalo appears at the side of the screen but doesn't travel horizontally/diagonally. (fixed)

3. Bullet doesn't travel in line with the barrel of the gun (horizontal speed too slow??)

4. Score and timer digits are messed up.

5. Some of the sound outputs are stuck low.

6. Buffalo takes a long time to die.

I did a spreadsheet of all the chip locations to make it easier to note which ones have been checked etc.

fgBab6q.jpg

There is a total of 280 chips on the PCB... :hairpull:

Without a schematic it's a bit harder to follow a targeted approach so I started to check over the simpler logic chips first, starting from 7400 and working my way up the range.

When I got to the 7404's there was one at L11 that had been sockteted from a previous repair and when the chip was checked with a logic probe I could see that it had no ground and was inactive, the legs were tarnished/had surface rust on them.

kgHF44R.jpg

It was removed, legs cleaned and tested (ok) and once replaced the antelopes legs were now moving. (2)

Easy fix (1) ...

I kept working my way up the numbers and found a 7410 at C15 that had a couple of outputs stuck high, after replacing it the Buffalo now moves and both it and the Antelope are now moving diagonally.

When the Buffalo is shot it takes a long time for it to die.

Edited by Kaizen