Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LED's for Solid State Machines

I've got a Williams Space Shuttle that I'd like to use led's for the Backglass & General Illumination. I thought about buying a few different ones to try but with so many different choices available it would be good to see what everybody is using ?

I'd like it to stand out as well as keep the heat & current draw down on the new connectors & new translite. Cheers.

warm wide wide gives a lovely classic look for gi on 'yellow/orange/etc' games ..

cool white on blue games,

cool or warm white under inserts ( try both see what you like)

if you can see the bulb and want more light than a wide try a frosted. lont be scare to leave some lamps in

you only need about 6 bulbs to test. dont bother buying colors just try some whites.

does space shuttle use 44 or 555 globes? 44 i think ?

Some nice choices there @wiredoug . What I have found with LEDs is they can be very direct when used under the playfield plastics like up around the upper ring. Because you can see the bulbs directly under this ring, you can often get a very bright glare in your eyes when playing. Simple solution, put the bulb in, stand in your playing position and using a black marker pen put a black dot on that side of the bulb to block the glare.

Pretty hard to see the dot but it blocks the direct glare perfectly.

Thanks for the reply wiredoug.

I think it uses #44 's.

It has alot of blue plastics, I thought about blue led's but cool white would look good, maybe just a single wide angle led #44 replacements [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

What you can do if you have lots of blue plastics is mix up blue and white under the plastics to reduce the overpowering blue glow from using only blue

I would recommend just using frosted as it diffuses the light in all applications helping to avoid spotting

In some cases using the same colour led as the insert colour will give you a nicer deeper colour but you may have to experiment

LED's for Solid State Machines

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated, I'll order some of those led's suggested & try some different combinations. I've also heard that you just can't stop at one machine , could be the start of another addiction.

Cheers [emoji106]

Make sure you clean all the black dust from under the inserts lenses too. You’ll get much improved light penetration. I just used cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol.

Make sure you clean all the black dust from under the inserts lenses too. You’ll get much improved light penetration. I just used cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol.

A compressor and airgun work well too and is way faster

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

I did buy a mixture of leds to try & compare against #44 globes.

The big surprise was the temperature

difference on the G.I. connectors. I used 33 leds so far & the G.I. ac input dropped from 84.5 C degrees to 39.9 C.

The G.I. output connector went from 72 C down to 57 C.

With the current draw of 16mA for each led versus 220 - 250mA for each #44 globe.

I didn't have any #47 globes to test but I believe they are around 150mA each.

Ambient temp was 24 C.

I think my 2 SS & 1 DMD machines will get converted to leds but my EM's will stay the same. Cheers.