Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Speed Race Fans IC intentifier chart and repair log

Hi Guys,

I was cleaning up and I came across a Speed Race. It's a Fuji version so it has the numbers still present on the IC's, unlike the Taito version where there numbers are removed or painted over. I had a moment so I took a photo then photo-shopped the numbers onto the picture for future reference.

I can be 100% sure about all but three IC's. Those I've labeled with ??? as these have been re-socketed, or were so faint, it was best guess, so can't be 100%

This is something I've wanted to do for ages. @wiredoug @Kaizen @backflipper might be interested in this post.

Cheers!!! :)

Fuji speed race chip placement.jpeg

Edited by taito

Cheers, mine’s running a fuji board now anyway.

Oh cheers!

could you please confirm the following when you get a moment, these were hard to read or were in sockets.:o

IC88. 107

IC80. 10

IC36,IC49,IC50. 93

IC51, IC52, IC64. 10

Cheers

i sold the one i had but the close up pics crackerjack took are on here somewhere with all the chips

since then i came across a full 1977 faxed copy (20 odd pages) of the proper schematic sent from japan to an oper we bought out. one day when im in a good mode ill scan it. hopefully before it all fades away like parts of it already have

its not online .. its probably the only copy left. but its out there still

Sounds great, my eye sight is not very good, so much better to have numbers to read off a page than an IC. Lol.

Update: Oh, misread that... the game schematics!!! Coooooooooooooooool!

And there's this too, could come in handy! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144150[/ATTACH]

i sold the one i had but the close up pics crackerjack took are on here somewhere with all the chips

since then i came across a full 1977 faxed copy (20 odd pages) of the proper schematic sent from japan to an oper we bought out. one day when im in a good mode ill scan it. hopefully before it all fades away like parts of it already have

speedraceschematic.jpg

Edited by taito

i did .. but the 107 at 88 is suspect. might be 157

Ha ha, Cheers! Probably why mine wont run.. Lol. I remember it working but clever me took the chip and forgot to mark the location! :o

Funny! A space Invader plug should work right!?

Won't know till someone else chimes in. :) Be nice to think it's just one chip that's causing the issue... but I doubt it. :) Cheers!

nah thats just cos you're drunk and hooked it backwards

it might be 107 ? im not saying its wrong i just dont know

Is that schematic of the Taito or Fuji board?

So I had the PCB up for sale but no takers, so I decided to fix it instead...

All but one of the chips in the column have been replaced, plus I replace all but one of the 555's. And I got something on screen.

I'm missing that 74279 quad s-r latch so that's holding the process back, but feel I'm not far off now.

Quite a few of the chip legs broke when I removed them, so all new IC's in there now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144262[/ATTACH]

Found a 02 that was not outputting. It had to go, then I got this!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144263[/ATTACH]

Soon after I got an oscillating movement up and down the screen. The beginning of cars. Squares at best.

cars.jpg

line.jpg

lines.jpg

So here's some more of the work I did.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144292[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144293[/ATTACH]

Removed the chips from the row with a white powered film.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144294[/ATTACH]

Will do some more work on this soon. :) In fact it's quite a relief from the the other games I've been working on.

No CPU, or RAM to worry about. Just TTL and discreet components. :)

20190310_164245.jpg

20190310_155248.jpg

ebay3.jpg

I'd been turning the pcb over frequently and I bumped the xtal. It was already wiggly and it snapped off!! Crikey!! That put an end to repairs. I looked around for a 14.13 but didn't have any so I popped in a spare 14.4 but that didn't work. I had an Atari Gran Trak 10, and it had the right xtal, so I used that. Then I was greeted with this....

20190311_182940.jpg

Some progress. Few more tll replaced. It's good to be able to see actual cars moving about. @wiredoug we can be quite sure 88 is a 107. Just got to get the 279 now.

Update: I found 3 more misbehaving IC, all 7410's. Replaced them with new, but I kind of think this repair is going to be difficult without the cab to put it in. I spent ages looking for an output line only to discover it went to the credit board. How the credits are handled is a mystery without the credit board to examine so I may have to leave it there. :cry

Edited by taito

Oh cheers!

could you please confirm the following when you get a moment, these were hard to read or were in sockets.:o

IC88. 107

IC80. 10

IC36,IC49,IC50. 93

IC51, IC52, IC64. 10

Cheers

All correct! Mine are clearly labelled

Thanks mate! That's massive, good to know I'm playing the right pitch. :)

Now I just got to work out what's wrong with it!

No worries! By the way your inbox was full. Can you remind me which of those pcbs you wanted? Theyre in my car now ready to take to work and post