Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

NBN, are you happy? I need help!

I just got the dreaded letter advising me that my awesome cable internet connection is going to be turned off in roughly 6 months.

I am with Optus and I currently get unlimited data, 100mbs, home phone with STD, mobiles and local included for $90 a month non contract! I have been with them for years and have been dreading this letter.

I want to get peoples feedback on your NBN experience, I am yet to see an equivalent NBN plan to mine for the same value and from what i can tell it will be SLOWER! So I am going to pay more for slower internet, really!?!

Anyway, (breathe) which proividers seem to have good speeds at peak times? I have no issue with cable and what I hear about NBN scares me.

Also is satellite any good? I have heard good things about that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just replying so i can track responses, i'm keen to hear NBN stories too.

i can only get 4G internet where i'm living, and NBN is still mid next year.

One thing i noticed is my 4G plan has more data and better speed for same price NBN plan my mum has using a low tier plan with Dodo. That's wacky

Hey Guys,

I have Fibre to the Home with Optus at 100Mb/s and quite regularly hit that speed. I think I pay around $100 per month for it which includes all national calls and unlimited data. i have been with them for nearly 3 years now. Unfortunately a lot of places don't get FTTH and from what I have heard FTTN is really crap.

Dave

I have had Telstra nbn for just under 12 months and it has been horrendous :x

I report to the ombudsman to resolve the first bout of shocking speeds and dropouts.

Started dropping out again about six weeks ago and maybe resolved yesterday, time will tell.....

Won't be long before I am in the same boat and I will lose my 115mbit Telstra Cable.

F*ckers. I care about very few things in this world. The internet is one of them and they've gone and made it worse.

From my tech head mates, I hear good things about Aussie Broadband, as *good* as anything about FTTN NBN.

I am in charge of our comms and all things IT for our company, we have Branch offices in each state and have various connections ADSL, Aggregated copper, copper over ethernet, direct fibre and lastly the dreaded NBN.

Well almost. For the last three months the NBN was being provisioned for our Brisbane office's and it STILL is not working. So far the service providers have managed to knock out the current internet connection 3 times for at least 4 hours on each occasion from errors they have made attempting to provision the set up.

I have staved off request's from staff about getting NBN because there was no Business Grade service , no SLA's and no symetrical services offered in the area in Brisbane we are attempting to get connected.

As far as I am concerned NBN is a cluster f*&(&.

Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck.

Just changed from Telstra cable to nbn recently.

Download speed average 25% less

Upload 50% more

Dropouts every 3 or 4 days

Happy...no

I have had NBN guys in my street frequently these days, I am holding out until the last possible moment and they force me to change. They can go and f*ck themselves.

Ive held off until after schools finished, Cant afford to have problems during exam time. I'm on cable and been told it will remain that way with an NBN service with FTTN or FTTC? Edited by hotty

I'm with Aussie Broadband on HFC. Highly recommend them for service and performance. I'm on 100/40 and normally have around 95/35. I've had a couple of issues which have been NBN rather then AB. But they got them addressed quite quickly. And their call centre is local.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It will all depend on your area, in my area there is high volumes of nbn starters which causes traffic jams all the time. I'm with optus 50mbs for $70 a month unlimited downloads, I have better download rates now (when nbn modem isn't down) with fttc setup. These 50mbs can only be seen when I do a speed test on my pc via Lan connection, wifi obviously won't. When first installed couple of months ago it was shocking from the start with drop outs all the time, they fixed it up but I still get drop out with bad weather for some reason, I haven't paid a bill yet though as they are not providing the service advertised.

I have had Telstra nbn for just under 12 months and it has been horrendous :x

I report to the ombudsman to resolve the first bout of shocking speeds and dropouts.

Started dropping out again about six weeks ago and maybe resolved yesterday, time will tell.....

Exactly the same in my last house. Slower internet speeds and drop outs. Luckily I am currently in between houses in a rental property and still has cable internet. All good until I move into the new house around the corner that is about to have NBN on.

NBN here consisted of steeling the Foxtell cable , because we had it, and tried running the net and the phone down the same line. Bottom line is the landline can go out for days on end, the net can go down intermittently and the Fox is pixalated from time to time.

NBN have been here several times, Foxtell have been here several times and touch wood, this is the first time in the last 9 odd months it has all worked for longer than a month.

That was after the Foxtell guy put an illegal amplifier in the system and said this was the last effort or else he will be recommending satellite for the Foxtell.

Bring back my copper if I had my choice because at least that way we always had a landline that worked all the time.

This is all in an area that is very much bushfire affected. For those that may say just get a mobile phone well it has it's own shortfalls such as if the power goes out, which only a fool can't see that is going to become the normal here in Australia, the mobile towers only have limited battery backup before the local mobile network goes down.

Mike I've told you my story with NBN but I'll tell it again. My suburb was one of the first in Vic to get NBN. I was on the top tier of Optus cable getting 100/25 with 75/125 (peak/off peak) gig a month. I was hesitant at first but had no choice in the end. At the time work was using Exetel for internet (adsl) and they were good so I looked up their prices and found their top tier NBN $40 cheaper per month than Optus equivalent so I went with them, 100/40 unlimited on 2 yr contract. 1 or 2 weeks in I'm on 2/512k [emoji15]. I call support to ask what's going on. Long story short, after a week of testing and escalating, they had no idea why I was getting that speed so they let me off my contract so I could go with someone else. I went straight back to Optus and haven't looked back for the past 3 years (or it might be longer, I can't remember). I'm paying $112 p/m for 100/40 unlimited and have had no major issues like you all have (i don't do phone and all the other stuff but having my mobile with them I also get a small discount). I've had the odd dropout but that was cause some drunk smashed into a pole and there was a major outage in the area etc. But all in all, ever since switching back to Optus I'm loving the NBN. And I'm fttp (Type your address here to show what you are/will be look at heading 'Technology used in your connection': https://www.nbnco.com.au).

I must be the only person without a horror story... unless you count my week with Exetel. But that's one week vs 3 years of constant 100/40. Streaming is second nature to me and buffering? What's buffering... unless I use kodi... I hate kodi!!

Sent from your mums iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Currently renting until my house is finished being built. We have NBN with Telstra FTTN. The speed is currently 42mbit but the drop outs are shocking. At least 2-3 times per day.

Fingers crossed that when I move into our house it will be better as it's going to be FTTB.

At work we've had the NBN (FTTN) for a couple of months now and it's better than the ADSL we had. (46/16 instead of 12/0.4)

The phone system was easy to patch into the modem (2 lines) and we're paying a lot less now than our old ADSL + phone lines.

At work we've had the NBN (FTTN) for a couple of months now and it's better than the ADSL we had. (46/16 instead of 12/0.4)

The phone system was easy to patch into the modem (2 lines) and we're paying a lot less now than our old ADSL + phone lines.

I'm in the same boat as you. We were on a RIM so adsl1 speeds was the best we could do (7/1). Now get get 48/18. We do occasionally get drop outs, but every time we do, I walk down to the service block and sure enough, some contractor had their hands in the pillbox that diverts copper from the RIM to the node.

The shitty copper network is the issue here. When they leave it alone, it works ok. If you rock the pillbox from side to side (which it shouldn't, but does) you can make connections drop. This is in a reasonably new estate too, I can't imagine how bad it is in places with old wiring.

FTTH was a much better idea, and will likely need to happen at some stage anyway.

FTTH in Hobart via Internode, here. I'm getting the 100/40 i'm paying for, with very slight contention at peak evening time, but otherwise zero issues or dropouts save when the connection to Tassie itself is having probs. Launtel have started offering gigabit plans, though i think it might only be for business so far...

Hi c_mario, you probably already know about this service, but I have set up a managed 100/100 connection at work with Telstra over their fibre. We also have the NBN at work and the wall looks like this :-)

NBN.thumb.jpg.8b3ecbdd34e57870d000508509458669.jpg

NBN, are you happy? I need help!

I must be the only person without a horror story... unless you count my week with Exetel. But that's one week vs 3 years of constant 100/40. Streaming is second nature to me and buffering? What's buffering... unless I use kodi... I hate kodi!!

That’s no surprise since you are one of the few lucky ones to have FTTP.

Aldo KODI is ****ing awesome? Only buffering with kodi you should be experiencing is if you’re using some of the lame pirate streaming add ons.