Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Indiana Jones path of adventure problem

cejay

Question

Hi all. The PoA has been playing up on my IJ for a while so thought I'd better get it sorted.

So I got underneath the playfield to check the poa motor driver board (I have the homepin and couldn't see anything wrong there. led still showing power at least).

Then I got to the opto board which limits the left and right movement and when I use the switch edge test and block off the transmitter/receiver leds I don't get any action on the switch edges.. if i block off the upper and lower holes on the poa the switches fire in the matrix but those optos don't appear to do anything. is that normal behaviour? Didn't seem like it to me.

Wonder where to go next.. dead opto board/optos?

Cheers,

Chris

• Answers 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Motor appears to be all good, it attempts to go left and right in the test. The grub screw was a bit loose last night which I tightened but yeah something is strange. I've adjusted the screw again and it just seems to try and push past the limit, and the opto switches still don't seem to trigger in the switch tests. Are the optos only powered up while the mp is active or are they supposed to be always powered?

Try testing the optos in the path of adventure test? From memory there is something that didn’t work in regular tests only in the test for that thing. But I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that seems to be the case. You can only test the optos when in test mode for the mpf. The annoying thing is that I go into that test, manually adjust the position the of the mpf to be perfect so both left and right optos fire and the mpf doesn't smash into either ramps.. but as soon as it activates in proper test mode with the motor it goes right and immediately smashes into the ramp on the RHS and then knocks the alignment out by loosening the grub screw.

I don't know what else I could be doing wrong. Maybe the grub screw just isn't catching any more and as soon as the motor runs it comes lose and stuffs up the alignment.

Try testing the optos in the path of adventure test? From memory there is something that didn’t work in regular tests only in the test for that thing. But I could be wrong

I also think this is this case

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm not sure. I did have a strangely hacked up motor controller board when I got the machine and while the machine worked I found the poa to be a little temperamental. So I ended up ripping that out and installing the Homepin poa replacement board.

I just don't know if that would be dead already after a couple of years of minimal use really.. but yeah I suppose that could be the problem. I remember asking Homepin a while back when I was having problems again and the consensus was that if the red led was lit and had power and the motor was working then it wasn't the board. I don't really want to buy another replacement board as it will be the same board.. dunno if it will solve the problem.

Maybe I can borrow the orig board from a mate and swap out the Homepin and see if it fixes it.

In my mind those optos are there to send a signal to the motor board to stop turning in that direction. So if the opto is working either the signal isn't getting through or the motor board is faulty? If the grub screw is loose on the mpf I don't think that would have anything to do with the arm pushing further past the opto than it should.

On start up it pushes right and stops. Given the optos do seem to working either the motor board is screwed already or the signal isn't getting back down to the motor board from the CPU or Driver.. I haven't traced the wires back to their corresponding connector.. I'll try and do some continuity tests.

I'd try cleaning the optos with a cotton bud. While they may be working, they need to work well. Have you seen the motor go in both directions and not just one direction?. Had to change a couple of those motors in the past when the brushes worn down and one symptom is motor only going in one direction. It seems when they wear, the brushes contact harder in one direction than the other. You can pull the motor apart and turn the brushes around to get a bit more life out of them.

I'll try cleaning the optos and reseating cables thanks. It could be the motor I suppose. It really only seems to want to go right at this stage but I still don't think it should push past its limit when it does turn right.

So I cleaned the optos and reseated the cables and cleaning the optos seems to make the left tilt work properly, but even in test mode the motor seems to just ignore these limits. Tries to push as far as it can on either direction. Right hand push is more obvious as it has a little bit more space before it crashes into the ramp. Must be the motor board I suppose...

If one opto isn't working it won't try driving in that direction. To check the motor is working in the other direction, swap the motor wires over to check. By the way if these motor wires are reversed other than for doing this test, you will have problems as the opto the machine is expecting to see, it won't and the machine will stop trying to drive it at all.

Turn the machine off and back on and see what the machine is saying in it's errors. It should be coming up with something. There is a fair bit of logic going on in the software regarding the Path of Adventure.

Here’s the error. I turned it on and the mpf rocked back and forth almost like it is supposed to but I tried again and it just pushed hard right and stopped.

b58569e6d5013dcf169f24bc79bc9506.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also if I put it in mpf test mode on "continue", it rocks back and forth once or twice and craps out.. rocking right and sometimes staggering back left until it says MPF BAD message.

How about removing the motor gearbox assembly and put some power into the two wires just to check you don't have a damaged gearbox. Those errors are not indicating any faults you should be getting. You may have a damaged tooth physically preventing the motor from turning correctly or maybe the path itself may be binding.

There is also the motor driver board itself through memory and the parts with the copper wire around them have a habit of breaking solder joints on them where they join the board resulting in not enough power reliably getting to the motor.

Getting desperate here. Running out of logical suggestions to tell you the truth.

Indiana Jones path of adventure problem

Thanks I appreciate all the suggestions. I think before I go any further I’ll borrow a set of poa and opto boards and just see if somethings screwy with those. If they don’t make any difference I can only think it’s the motor or the signal from the cpu to the motor isn’t telling the motor to stop immediately... if that’s even possible

He’s a video of what I am talking about. It seems like the left limiter works. Just not the right one. If I start a test and immediately go left it stops at the left limit correctly, but not right it just keeps on going.