State
    Port Pirie, South Australia, Australia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Australia

Indiana Jones path of adventure problem

Hi all. The PoA has been playing up on my IJ for a while so thought I'd better get it sorted.

So I got underneath the playfield to check the poa motor driver board (I have the homepin and couldn't see anything wrong there. led still showing power at least).

Then I got to the opto board which limits the left and right movement and when I use the switch edge test and block off the transmitter/receiver leds I don't get any action on the switch edges.. if i block off the upper and lower holes on the poa the switches fire in the matrix but those optos don't appear to do anything. is that normal behaviour? Didn't seem like it to me.

Wonder where to go next.. dead opto board/optos?

Cheers,

Chris

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1895 Post(s)
    Australia
    Check for a wire off the motor first, That happened to me a few years back.
    Also check the grub screws are tight so the motor shaft isn't slipping.
    My pins: Wild life EM, Top Score Em, Space Mission EM, Target Alpha EM, Cleopatra SS, Pin*Bot SS, Indiana Jones WPC, Black~Rose WPC.
    My Arcades: Funland Rifle EM, Hankin Table 20", Mame 20" Horizontal Cab, 17 in 1 Horizontal 20" cab, Outrun2 sit down game rear projection, Foosball table.

State
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Australia

Motor appears to be all good, it attempts to go left and right in the test. The grub screw was a bit loose last night which I tightened but yeah something is strange. I've adjusted the screw again and it just seems to try and push past the limit, and the opto switches still don't seem to trigger in the switch tests. Are the optos only powered up while the mp is active or are they supposed to be always powered?

State
    Geelong
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Try testing the optos in the path of adventure test? From memory there is something that didnít work in regular tests only in the test for that thing. But I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Australia

Yep that seems to be the case. You can only test the optos when in test mode for the mpf. The annoying thing is that I go into that test, manually adjust the position the of the mpf to be perfect so both left and right optos fire and the mpf doesn't smash into either ramps.. but as soon as it activates in proper test mode with the motor it goes right and immediately smashes into the ramp on the RHS and then knocks the alignment out by loosening the grub screw.

I don't know what else I could be doing wrong. Maybe the grub screw just isn't catching any more and as soon as the motor runs it comes lose and stuffs up the alignment.

State
    Townsville
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Quoted
    769 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddstoys View Post
    Try testing the optos in the path of adventure test? From memory there is something that didnít work in regular tests only in the test for that thing. But I could be wrong

I also think this is this case

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

State
    Geelong
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Ok so the optos are working thereís a motor control board under the playfield which may be faulty

State
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Australia

Yeah I'm not sure. I did have a strangely hacked up motor controller board when I got the machine and while the machine worked I found the poa to be a little temperamental. So I ended up ripping that out and installing the Homepin poa replacement board.

I just don't know if that would be dead already after a couple of years of minimal use really.. but yeah I suppose that could be the problem. I remember asking Homepin a while back when I was having problems again and the consensus was that if the red led was lit and had power and the motor was working then it wasn't the board. I don't really want to buy another replacement board as it will be the same board.. dunno if it will solve the problem.

Maybe I can borrow the orig board from a mate and swap out the Homepin and see if it fixes it.

State
    Geelong
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Yeah try that

State
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Australia

In my mind those optos are there to send a signal to the motor board to stop turning in that direction. So if the opto is working either the signal isn't getting through or the motor board is faulty? If the grub screw is loose on the mpf I don't think that would have anything to do with the arm pushing further past the opto than it should.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information