Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Indiana Jones path of adventure problem

cejay

Question

Hi all. The PoA has been playing up on my IJ for a while so thought I'd better get it sorted.

So I got underneath the playfield to check the poa motor driver board (I have the homepin and couldn't see anything wrong there. led still showing power at least).

Then I got to the opto board which limits the left and right movement and when I use the switch edge test and block off the transmitter/receiver leds I don't get any action on the switch edges.. if i block off the upper and lower holes on the poa the switches fire in the matrix but those optos don't appear to do anything. is that normal behaviour? Didn't seem like it to me.

Wonder where to go next.. dead opto board/optos?

Cheers,

Chris

• Answers 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

It might be worth considering that the opto boards each have two circuits so that's four functions. My guesstiment is-

1- Right Flipper

2- Left Flipper

3- Tilting mini playfield left & right

4- Video modes left & right.

I can't see how a pair of leaf switches can do all of the above.

It's just one open/close signal from a single switch from each flipper that drives all of that though. There's the blue-grey on the Left flipper and blue-violet on the right flipper.. that's it. The only thing different in my config is that the 12V supply to the boards isn't connected. Maybe that's why I'm getting a higher voltage read on the 12V going to the PoA area because those 2 boards are missing and not drawing anything... I dunno.. I'm also well out of my depth and frustrated..

It might be worth considering that the opto boards each have two circuits so that's four functions. My guesstiment is-

1- Right Flipper

2- Left Flipper

3- Tilting mini playfield left & right

4- Video modes left & right.

I can't see how a pair of leaf switches can do all of the above.

The boards have 2 circuits each because the boards are also used on games with 3 or 4 flippers.

More questions, this time around crimping. So I got some replacement connectors, can someone help with the crimping steps here? I assume you strip the wire, then position the wire so when crimping the terminal it grips the wire cover but do you need some solder to make sure of a solid connection on the wire itself with the terminal? Then insert the terminal into the connector the right way so it locks and if done right should allow you to push the socket onto a set of pins and grip.

Ughh I make things sound hard..

24d8a79434f2ce0c619405fdc05094f3.jpg

7c650d0f37f579382452192689698b25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s great guys thanks. In terms of technique though you have clamping the terminal onto bare wire though or onto the plastic cover of the wire? Could anyone post a photo of where wire sits in the terminal before crimp and then what it looks like after? Sorry I have tried googling and not finding what I want

Stripped too long. The right most lugs must grip the insulation. The next to right crimp the wire. The next set of lugs (left) do not get crimped at all. The wire should be only a tiny bit longer than the lugs it is crimped into.

IMG_6204.jpeg.9d6d08b0475b35b2b8b48f42bd61c951.jpeg IMG_6205.jpeg.70d1cbe0993a17cbfb653cff59777e61.jpeg

Not a great crimp from me.... but good enough for a Wednesday.

More questions, this time around crimping. So I got some replacement connectors, can someone help with the crimping steps here? I assume you strip the wire, then position the wire so when crimping the terminal it grips the wire cover but do you need some solder to make sure of a solid connection on the wire itself with the terminal? Then insert the terminal into the connector the right way so it locks and if done right should allow you to push the socket onto a set of pins and grip.

Ughh I make things sound hard..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/24d8a79434f2ce0c619405fdc05094f3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/7c650d0f37f579382452192689698b25.jpg

So I’ve restored the connectors.

Is someone able to test their voltage on the J-118 socket on the driver board?

That’s the one that supplies the motor bridge and opto boards on the poa with 12V. Mine reads over 15V [emoji849]

I dunno what’s going on. If I read the 12V unregulated test point it reads between 13 and 14V. Then the 12V on that socket is 15V..

The capacitor for the 12V unregulated has a tiny bit of movement to it.. maybe a dry joint? I dunno.

I’ve done some continuity tests across the board and the traces seem ok but I’ve since spotted this so although some tests appear ok it doesn’t look too good.

24397110d5ec60e664d4972af1e8aa32.jpg

4447709fa44fd1b63f09f200d180e68e.jpg

5ae976f977fafa12cfa28bce2fc984fa.jpg

I might just give up and send my board to Ken for proper testing and bullet proofing.

Transistor Q48 is for the left control gate. Not related to the mini playfield motor. I don't think this is where the issue is. In any case, if the continuity between components is still there, things should work fine.

As for the 12v circuit, it is normal for the unregulated circuit to be over 12v. The regulated circuit should be 12v, or close to it.

I'm concerned about what you're saying about the capacitor for the 12v circuit. Which one are you talking about?