Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

space invader troubleshooting

lentildude

Question

gday

I have white lines on my Taito spaceinvader L boards. Finally having another look at them over weekend.

Hooked up a new switchmode powersupply but no change in result.

I was looking online at those invader multiboard modules that give you 8 games but more importantly diagnostics

http://arcadeshop.com.whsites.net/si-kit/si-kit.htm

However they seem to be for Midway boards.

Anyone tried it on a Taito board set?

invaders.jpg

15 answers to this question

Yes, they work on a Taito boardset as well, I have one. However you need to burn a different eprom. The eprom it comes with is the Midway version. That will work on your taito board but will be displaying the Midway version.

If you want the Taito version like the original Taito roms, you need to burn another rom & swap that over.

The rom image is on the bottom of this page. (Taito t803d.bin)

http://www.brasington.org/arcade/products/sim/selftest.shtml

well worth buying a multiboard.

thanks, will look for a reseller to buy one, maybe they can preflash it for me

Yes, they work on a Taito boardset as well, I have one. However you need to burn a different eprom. The eprom it comes with is the Midway version. That will work on your taito board but will be displaying the Midway version.

If you want the Taito version like the original Taito roms, you need to burn another rom & swap that over.

The rom image is on the bottom of this page. (Taito t803d.bin)

http://www.brasington.org/arcade/products/sim/selftest.shtml

well worth buying a multiboard.

Looks like you can get the Taito version ready to go here.

Certainly makes it easier than a few years ago when I bought mine & you had to mess around with changing the rom as I mentioned above.

https://www.highscoresaves.com/braze-taito-space-invaders-free-play-and-high-score-save-kit-multigame.html

Edited by richard.m

Post a picture of the upright board. Hopefully you either have the little daughter card or the version with separate TTL. If you have the version that has the unobtanium Fujitsu MB14241 bit shifter you are hosed.

If you have this you are hosed:

SI Fujitsu.jpg

If you have this you can replace the bad chip that has a stuck output:

SI Daughterboard.PNG

There's a third version that has all the TTL from that daughter board built onto the upright board. That one is repairable also.

Post a picture of the upright board. Hopefully you either have the little daughter card or the version with separate TTL. If you have the version that has the unobtanium Fujitsu MB14241 bit shifter you are hosed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144058[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144059[/ATTACH]

There's a third version that has all the TTL from that daughter board built onto the upright board. That one is repairable also.

If his cab still has the original boardset it will be a Taito PCB, the daughter cards posted above are for a Midway PCB.

The LAI Space Invader cabs did have the Midway boards though.

Come on @lentildude, give us a sqizzy! Post a pic! lol.

Most probably is a Taito sound PCB, but don't be surprised if it's Midway hardware with a Taito Sticker/serial number on the PCB... as when this game when viral, Japan got the US to produce boards for it to put in their Taito cabs. I know!!! Outrageous right! :o

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144058[/ATTACH]

I didn't know their was on obsolete chip on the Midway daughter board. I ahve one of those boardsets

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144059[/ATTACH]

I didn't know their was on obsolete chip on the Midway daughter board. I have one of those Midway boardsets as well as the Taito.

The MB14241 chip is certainly rare, their is very little info on them & none for sale anywhere.

...I have white lines on my Taito spaceinvader L boards...

If his cab still has the original boardset it will be a Taito PCB, the daughter cards posted above are for a Midway PCB.

The LAI Space Invader cabs did have the Midway boards though.

He said L boards...

But in any case, Taito used the Fujitsu bit shifter chip too. When you get lines in the screen like that it's a bit shifter failure.

He said L boards...

But in any case, Taito used the Fujitsu bit shifter chip too.

I have two Taito SI L shape board sets & both daughter boards don't have the Fujitsu MB14241 chip?, has is it been replaced using other chips?

Or maybe those chips were used on Taito SI layered board sets?IMG_0011.jpg

I noticed all the ics on this board have been blacktopped to conceal the chip part numbers for some reason?- looks like a factory done thing.

Yeah a lot of Taito boards are like that, it comes straight off with contact cleaner or brake cleaner to reveal the chip numbers. On some of the earler Taito PCBs like Speed Race they use a small griner (Dremel) to remove the chip numbers completely. Edited by Kaizen

I actually have 3 original Taito L boards that I have had for 30 years!

daughter boards 2 are sv0014a and one is sv070001B - I dont see any difference between the model #s

My mother boards are all aa017742a

all original Japanese boards (not rebadged Midway)

My CAB has Japanese instructions in it and Japanese on control panel.

IMG_0792.jpgIMG_0793.jpg

I actually have 3 original Taito L boards that I have had for 30 years!

daughter boards 2 are sv0014a and one is sv070001B - I dont see any difference between the model #s

My mother boards are all aa017742a

all original Japanese boards (not rebadged Midway)

My CAB has Japanese instructions in it and Japanese on control panel.

Nice. Very cool collection of GenuineTaito Spaceys!! :)

With the help of the folk here you should be able to sort it out. Do you know anyone local? I say drop em in to me to have a look at, but I'm in Melbourne. :(

Edited by taito