Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Xbox vs Playstation Virtual reality

So I went to a mates house on the weekend and he says "Oi give this VR stuff a go"

He then puts this PS4 VR headset on me and gives me two hand controllers that look like those sticks they guide planes with.

Next minute I'm stealing some diamond from some pommy gitts and having a blast shooting stuff. Kinda blew me away how cool it was.

So I go home and fire up the pc, check out jb hifi and damn, no VR stuff for Xbox. WTF.

This leads me to a couple questions I have.

Anybody know if Xbox has plans for VR in the near future ?

Or do I bite the bullet and get a PS4 as well as the xbox , I mean it's only money and life's short.

What are the best games for VR atm ?

Cheers y'all

I have nothing to add, except the VR on PS4 is on my wish list. My son had it for a while and the demo's were insane. The Cage Diving Demo where you did bugger all except immerse yourself in the VR.

Well, until that point I had been a doubter. But watching the bubbles float to the surface, seeing the boat in the water above my head etc etc... I was sold...

There is nothing for Xbox at the minute and nothing has been announced at any of the big gaming shows...

Well worth it, wait for a sale. They do come up.

Get the PS4 Pro though, not the standard.

There are 3 demo discs that you can download from the playstation store which will give you a great example of what is available.

For me the best games/no brainers are...

Resident Evil 7

AstroBot

Eve Valkyrie

Doom

Skyrim

Wipeout

The Persistance

Also I think these are great...

Apex Construct

Dirt Rally

Killing Floor Incursion

Megaton Rainfall

Moss

Rigs

To the Top

Windlands

Also want to buy, so cant comment on how good...

Until Dawn

Raw Data

Borderlands 2

Rez Infinite

Driveclub

There was a great VR pack recently that had the headset, camera and 5 or 6 of the best games for like $300. Think it had Doom, Wipeout, Astrobot, Skyrim, VR worlds and maybe one other.

Paging @ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma

Beat Saber is an absolute must own - https://www.playstation.com/en-au/games/beat-saber-ps4/

+1 for Beat Sabre - fantastic game and great workout that the whole family can enjoy. Using music mods like 'beat saver' keeps the game fresh every day with new songs (.... and free :))

I have an Oculus Rift and without a doubt, this is the future of gaming. Even the free games are crazy good - love PokerStar.

Also, just bought a Tpcast so can't wait to go wireless with the Oculus Rift :)

I use an Oculus Rift too, but also highly recommend Beat Sabre.

One game that is good for newcomers is Space Pirate Trainer, which comes free with the headset.

SuperHot I highly recommend. Think the Matrix, where bullets only move when you do.

Blue Effect is one not many have heard of, but scares the crap out of my mates. Involves shooting mechanical spiders and such in a dark warehouse. Laughing now just thinking of some of the reactions and screams.

There are a few decent sports ones too, with Club Cricket being a current favourite. VR Sports Challenge is great too if you've ever dreamed of being an ice hockey goalie or gridiron player. Funny as to watch someone else dive around.

really keen on VR, have played some games on an HTC Vive and it blew me away... but never jumped in. going to wait until the new era of wireless versions of the Oculus and HTC headsets drop which will be this year. the Oculus Quest is slated for early this year, will be interesting to see how it's received and what games are available for it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/26/17906298/oculus-quest-santa-cruz-standalone-vr-headset-price-shipping

The new gen of VR headsets will have full 3D motion and and body tracking built into the headset doing away with the need to use external cameras. the potential for huge multiplayer VR arena games on football fields or in large warehouses will be amazing.

HTC is following Oculus' lead with their new wireless headset the Cosmos:

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/first-look-htc-cosmos

You're not going to get the massive grunt of PC's to run things which is a trade-off.... But not being tied to a PC would be a big plus and the mobile chipset already has a huge pool of software developers and techs, so there will be plenty of talent working on optimising games for it.

Oculus already tried this idea with the Oculus GO, but it didn't have the built in motion tracking, and the system was underpowered... but these new wireless, full motion tracking headsets are going to change the game.

I don't see the big advantage of wireless for full virtual reality personally, as you still need to make sure you don't run into walls or other objects. Will be worth it for augmented reality though. Issue with wireless is as Jed says, the they will not have the computing power to either maintain 90fps, or will have lower resolution. High fps is crucial otherwise your more likely to get virtual reality motion sickness.

I have my Oculus setup in a reasonably large clear space in the man-cave, with the cables suspended from the ceiling using tethered hooks. Previously when the cables were on the ground they were annoying though.

Back on games, I also recommend Thrill of the Fight which is a boxing game. Someone else I know has holes in his plaster wall though from people playing it.

Issue with wireless is as Jed says, the they will not have the computing power to either maintain 90fps, or will have lower resolution.

According to HTC, their new HTC Cosmos headset will have better than 1440x1600 per eye, and will be able to be run on a PC, or in a mobile format. The flip-up screen would be a big plus too.

Cosmos does look good. Hard to find concrete evidence on its specs. Seems like it will initially need to be wired to a PC though, which makes sense as you'd need a beefy graphics card for that resolution. That's always going to be the issue with true wireless independent headsets. The flip-up screen will be handy.

Hopefully the HTC Vive Pro (which has the same resolution as the Cosmos) will drop in price, as I'd love to try it out in one of my car racing motion simulators.

Cosmos does look good. Hard to find concrete evidence on its specs. Seems like it will initially need to be wired to a PC though, which makes sense as you'd need a beefy graphics card for that resolution. That's always going to be the issue with true wireless independent headsets. The flip-up screen will be handy.

Hopefully the HTC Vive Pro (which has the same resolution as the Cosmos) will drop in price, as I'd love to try it out in one of my car racing motion simulators.

Racing is where VR shines I think, especially if you already have a cockpit. Full body immersion. Was blown away by project cars in VR.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Racing is where VR shines I think, especially if you already have a cockpit. Full body immersion. Was blown away by project cars in VR.

[/url]

You really appreciate how steep Bathurst is when going down the mountain in Project CARS with VR.

It's impossible to convey how realistic & immersive some of these VR games can be without experiencing them.

You really appreciate how steep Bathurst is when going down the mountain in Project CARS with VR.

It's impossible to convey how realistic & immersive some of these VR games can be without experiencing them.

I've been around Mt Panorama on my motorbike when passing through, it's a must if you find yourself in the area, even though it has to be at their 60km speed limit.

those downhill corners in the top section of the track before arriving at conrod straight are like falling off a cliff ! Project Cars does an amazing job of recreating it in VR.

but how the guys in the touring cars take those corners at the speeds they do blows my mind !

Sorry I was busy working and puter broke so had to build another.

I bought my psvr for 2 reasons, firstly to play VR car racing as I already had a racing rig and secondly to play VR Pinball. As I was intrigued when I saw the Occulus PinSim (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiZ6dTm_-_gAhVHfCsKHdpHBfQQFjAAegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tested.com%2Ftech%2Fgaming%2F569647-how-build-pinsim-virtual-reality-pinball-machine%2F&usg=AOvVaw1mYGjYXeNx5JDpoJooe-j2), I wondered if I could make one for the PS4. I ended up making one (actually @hotty did the making, I just did the artwork at the end). You can view the whole thread here: https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/85565-Virtual-Reality-(VR)-Pinball-is-the-missing-link-between-Virtual-Pinball-amp-Real-Pins?highlight=

It made it's first debut at @Cursed's last November meet and he's asked if I can bring it again this November. So if you wanna see it, come to his meet.

Like others have said, you can't explain VR to someone who hasn't tried it. You just have to try it for yourself.