Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dreamcast Dedicated JAMMA mod (AV help needed)

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by cps2luva View Post
    just wanted to say thanks for sharing your progress here, feel like it is a useful resource for anyone who will attempt this in the future
    nice work, cant wait to see the completed result!
    Thanks! it's been great fun.

I do however feel a little guilty of post spam though. Unfortunately, since I'm on mobile I can't edit my posts.

I will return later once I have access to a pc and edit and consolidate all progress into a single post. Goimg to be a fair amount of clean-up but should be easier to read as a single post instead of scrolling through the thread.

Limitations of mobile.
    Sorry for the constant thread bumping.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Australia

May have hit a brief snag.
    Still waiting on the rgb booster. However, I have sent direct rgb/sync to the jamma edge and trialed it through my Astro City. I do get a signal though it is black and white scattered garbage.
    I have put up a brief video (not of the displayed screen) and had a comment in regards to needing to force 60hz refresh.

I figured direct rgb would just be dull and require a rgb booster to fix the brightness but needing to run at 60hz may affect the sync, correct? Trying to work out how to go about hard forcing 60hz output on a PAL unit that already lacks video out.

Shameless self plug of current progress

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Australia

So I guess even on PC I can't remove my double posts and compress the thread :/ bummer.
    Anyway, I've connected the Dreamcast to my CGA to VGA converter.

I was worried about my green line being busted. turns out it's fine.
    I'm getting brief video out and not holding sync.
    Progress is progress though. Getting at least a brief view of some form of a signal through RGB is a GREAT sign of life and a step in the right direction. Hopefully the RGB amp will help to stabilize the sync but I'm still wondering if it's because the PAL unit is outputting at 50hz native.

I have purchased a cheap US NTSC unit from eBay that had dead controller ports. This is a non-issue as It's probably just a blown fuse. Once all the hard work is done in prototyping on this console, I can do a case swap, Mod the US NTSC unit in the same way, and hopefully by the time I'm done, I will have a single unit capable of running off JAMMA AND a TV. (“¿Porque No Los Dos?”)

Very low quality, vertical video. But Progress is progress no matter now small.

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)
    Australia
    I doubt it will help but it's worth a shot, have you tried pressing the AUTO button on the VGA encoder? Experimented with its various settings, resolutions?
    SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
    PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Australia

Yeah, just tried flipping through resolutions. It seems to not like displaying moving video. Displays the static logo fine, when flipping through resolutions on the menu screen and during boot animation it's garbled trash. Something must be going on with sync.20190316_193623.jpeg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information