Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Taito Safari

I picked this cabinet up off another member today...

zwBrKid.jpg

After getting it home I found the B&W monitor fuse was blown, no point just replacing it as I'll need to find the cause first (will leave that for another day).

I hooked up a CRT TV for testing and after checking that the PSU was good, I powered the cab up and got this on screen.

da6Nwxp.jpg

The scoring has issues, the legs on one of the animals don't move but it credits up, the hunter moves and fires bullets and hit detection is working.

The 11 x (SN74S287N) PROMs have corroded pins and as they haven't been dumped yet I decided the first thing to do was to dump them before they fail.

TBPg4xK.jpg

AofZuj3.jpg

I didn't want to run the risk of the pins breaking off when I remove them from the sockets so they were removed from the PCB with the sockets and dumped.

They have been uploaded here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=11tfe16FOJnYD1GNfqNT3P8EQehR94PyP) and I'll organise to get them to the Mame Dev team.

Many of the TTL IC's have corroded pins so I'll go through and replace them where needed.

The half silvered mirror has a crack but otherwise in fair condition for it's age and complete/not hacked.

Some more pics...

Vckc4LC.jpg

OwKljye.jpg

p8Pt8jm.jpg

gGiokuQ.jpg

Oy505kA.jpg

kBxCbXP.jpg

9HJHUET.jpg

z7ddAFe.jpg

qizUuxF.jpg

9ufFjCH.jpg

Dy66b5A.jpg

gvltr5e.jpg

FbFuZNC.jpg

1xW9LZt.jpg

• Like 1

I've gotten round to looking at the monitor, a couple of 220uF caps on the terminal strip mounted next to the flyback were way out of spec so they were replaced.

See video below for what it's doing, I've bought most of the caps for the chassis and will be pulling them and testinng them before replacing.

Any thoughts about what's happening? You can see the score at the bottom shows briefly before everything bleeds out and the the score and animals are faintly visible but black instead of white (inverted). The squeling noise is from the audio on the PCB (will get to that later).

Edited by Kaizen

I've only been at the BnW for a while....

I'd start by turning your brightness down and your contrast up and see what happens.

Have a conservative play around with the adjustments, but most probably is a component fault(s) somewhere.

Can you get hold of a schematic? Probably not that easy eh?

Edited by taito

I did a bit on the cab today, worked out the pinout which I'll clean up and put into electronic form later...

PCB and Cab Wiring

WBdOF9Q.jpg

Sound PCB

YY6oQ5b.jpg?1

I also spent a bit of time on the sound boards, worked out which ones do which sound, made up a harnes for testing them and found two LM3900's that were faulty.

All sounds are now working on the test rig but there are issues with the game PCB, a couple of outputs are stuck low, the only sound that does work when in the cab is the 'Hunter Attacked" sound.

I also took some snaps of the bezel and backdrop.

MIgO1FS.jpg?1

wvtuzwk.jpg?2

I did a bit on the cab today, worked out the pinout which I'll clean up and put into electronic form later...

PCB and Cab Wiring

WBdOF9Q.jpg

Sound PCB

YY6oQ5b.jpg?1

I also spent a bit of time on the sound boards, worked out which ones do which sound, made up a harnes for testing them and found two LM3900's that were faulty.

All sounds are now working on the test rig but there are issues with the game PCB, a couple of outputs are stuck low, the only sound that does work when in the cab is the 'Hunter Attacked" sound.

I also took some snaps of the bezel and backdrop.

MIgO1FS.jpg?1

wvtuzwk.jpg?2

That bezel is in amazing condition, though the backdrop looks like it was drawn by a 6 year old.

Not many earlier Taito games than this one. Guessing when you get this working you could call yourself the Safari champion by default.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

• 2 years later...

FbFuZNC.jpg

Hi do you still have the PCB/cab?

I got an Italian bootleg/licensed PCB for this game... It's missing an IC at location C6 or C7 (I have to double check) just below 2 74192.

If you still have it can you tell me waht IC it is.

THANKS