VIC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Australia

Question My first cab minor restoration project

Hi everyone,

Thanks for having me as a new user on the forums!

Today I picked up a Street Fighter II Champion Edition lowboy cab that needs to cleaning up/repair/restoration. I got a pretty good deal on it so not too fussed about its condition. It's in pretty good shape but I'm going to need a little help in getting the thing sorted. You'll have to forgive my ignorance with some terminology as I'm a complete noob, like the only arcade experience I've got is a MAME cab.

Problem list so far:
    • the picture flickers, colours are off and the dimensions need to be tweaked to match the screen
    • some of the graphics are actually missing from the image. For example don't actually appear on the background so all the sounds of fighting are there but the characters can't be seen (see images below)
    • the game pauses with a blue screen and high pitched sound from the speaker then returns to its normal routine

I suspect the monitor/chassis may need a tune or possible replacement and I'd love for this to be all that's required, but hope it's nothing too much more technical. I've checked all connectors and they seem to be ok and there are no obviously blown capacitors etc.

I'm looking forward to tidying up the cabinet to bring it closer to its former glory but will need the help of the experts in this forum.

I've attached a few pictures, hope it's not too many and that they help to a degree!

Thanks for the guru guidance,
    Nick

20190224_181638.jpg20190224_181911.jpg20190224_182308.jpg20190224_182351.jpg20190224_182403.jpg20190224_182425.jpg20190224_182437.jpg20190224_182444.jpg20190224_182521.jpg20190224_182847.jpg20190224_182926.jpg20190224_182932.jpg20190224_183035.jpg20190224_183051.jpg20190224_183057.jpg20190224_183226.jpg
    Last edited by NRB; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:54 PM. Reason: duplicate image

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1358 Post(s)
    Australia
    If you want to get the monitor fixed, the first step will be to learn how to discharge the tube and remove the chassis. It's not difficult, but it can be very daunting for a newbie. It's best done after you have left the cab switched off for a day or so, then the tube will likely not be holding any charge. Still, it's best practice to discharge anyway, and then after discharging, unplug the chassis connections to the tube.

Once the chassis is removed from the cab, you will need to get it repaired. The large majority of us send our chassis to Jomac in Perth, he does excellent work. A chassis service will run you around $95 or so, plus post each way.

Now, the missing game sprites means you have a board fault somewhere. I'm not familiar with that SFII board, it might be a bootleg, not sure. It's not the standard CPS1 Capcom boardset. There are people on here who can repair boards, but it can be a costly process and if the board is a bootleg, it's often not worth it. Someone with more experience with SFII boards will be able to tell you if it's a bootleg or original. Maybe @Womble will know, he's the resident board repair expert. All the Capcom stickers everywhere make me think it could be genuine, but it's not the CPS1 version of CE.

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Australia

Thanks namastepat. I'm familiar with discharging monitors and contacted Jomac last week regarding chassis repair/service. I look forward to hearing what Womble may have to contribute to the discussion.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Australia
    Very nice pickup!
    LAI lowboys are very kool units as thay stand out and dont take much room.
    For its age most likely the chassis is due for a Service. Jomac is the guy I use for this.
    Looking at The Pictures you have posted the last picture with the hardness joiner looks as its not plug in all the way!
    This maybe the reason for some problems?
    Turn the cabinets power off befor trying adjusting this plug! It looks as the lidt side needs pushing in.
    Al.

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Australia

I've removed and reinstalled all the connectors, and took the PCB out for inspection. There appears to be a palm sized area on the rear that has damage (top middle of photo). Maybe that's the cause?
    20190224_204759.jpg20190224_204829.jpg

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    375 Post(s)
    Hmm, I'm leaning towards it being a bootleg, it certainly isn't a CPS1 board that you'd expect for a SFII CE. I suspect those Capcom stickers may be home-made, or done by an Op at some stage to make it look more official.

As for the fault, that palm size mark is an old water mark, may be related to the fault but the board looks pretty clean, even in that area. It's probably the a RAM/ROM/glue logic fault, one that has shut down the output of certain gfx elements. I'd need to poke the oscilloscope at it to make a call on it.

Was this from the Bartronica sale? I nearly went, had to force myself not to.
    Sic transit gloria Atari!

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Australia
    Looks as a chip was replace there! Would think that be ok.
    I would of check the 5v befor thinking its a fault.
    Al.

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Hmm, I'm leaning towards it being a bootleg
    Damn, here I was thinking it was a legit cab. I'm not too concerned though as it was pretty cheap.

I'd need to poke the oscilloscope at it to make a call on it.
    Wish I had the tools and knowledge to do that myself...

Was this from the Bartronica sale? I nearly went, had to force myself not to.
    Not from Bartronica sale, picked it up on Gumtree.

Quote Originally Posted by madal View Post
    Looks as a chip was replace there! Would think that be ok.
    I would of check the 5v befor thinking its a fault.
    I've got a multimeter, so this I CAN do. As stated I'm a complete noob, so where abouts should I be testing the 5V?

Thanks guys, this community's already proving to be fantastic.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1358 Post(s)
    Australia
    The 5V will need to be tested at the edge connector of the board. Problem is, it's running through a harness adaptor and may not be JAMMA standard. A JAMMA pinout looks like this.

jamma_pinout.gif

Looking at the harness that connects to your edge connector, the two red wires at the top would be your 5V. I assume the adaptor harness could be to convert LAI pinout to JAMMA.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    375 Post(s)
    Yeh, it looks like this cabinet is wired as old school LAI, with the extra buttons for the kick harness, and the main wiring goes into an LAI to JAMMA adaptor harness to convert to the board.

As Pat said above, measure at the game board rather than the PSU, although I doubt your issues are related to low voltage.
    Sic transit gloria Atari!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information