Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Universal Upright conversion

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

Well the retrobrite process definitely brought the original colour back!

Bezel after a clean...

Bezel after about 4 hours worth of UV.

Whilst it looks pretty good, I'll still end up painting it so I can patch a few holes/dents

I attempted to wire wheel one of the rust damaged doors..

After a good hour or so of wire wheeling, the front now has all the paint and rust removed!

I found something that works! Albeit only one speaker.. So a quick change of a speaker and the sound appears to be perfect! The volume knob works too!

Hopefully the next few days, I'll completely strip the cab to start the cutting of the legs this weekend.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    If you take the parts to a powder coating place they will sandblast and coat it for a lot less than it will take you to repair it , just my 2 cents

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newy16216 View Post
    If you take the parts to a powder coating place they will sandblast and coat it for a lot less than it will take you to repair it , just my 2 cents
    How much do you think it'd cost?

What paint do they use? I'd actually be keen on that.

I just want to make sure they use the same colour as what I would be using for the bezel.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    I just had a base for a jap driving cab done 8 pieces was $170 , as for colour Iam sure that won't be problem , I think powder coat is a lot more durable than paint ,

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

I just had a base for a jap driving cab done 8 pieces was $170 , as for colour Iam sure that won't be problem , I think powder coat is a lot more durable than paint ,
    Cool. I might get a quote and see how much it'd cost. If it's under 200, I'm perfectly fine with that. The time and effort and the cost of primer, paint, it'd probably cost more

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Only problem I can see is yours is pretty rusty and when it gets sand blasted might need a bit of loving to make it smooth , it will be cheaper for sure and save you a lot of man hours too

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

New update with the last or so week.

Cleaned out the pcbs and let them out in the sun to dry for a number of days

Tried to see the state of the konami python...

It was absolutely disgusting! I've never seen so much cockroach poo in my life!

I've started wheel wiring more panels to bare metal

I'm going to try and repair the start holes from the control panel it was expanded to 30mm (key word here being "try" - I'm absolutely shocking with any form of metal work and I don't have a welder or the necessary tools)

Since we're talking about me being crap with metal work, I did not have the balls nor did I believe I was able to chop the legs, so I drove to a local metal workshop and asked if they could do 4 straight cuts and 338mm needed to be taken off the bottom..

Few minutes later... We have a sit down!

I need to get a metal bit for my jigsaw so I only have the holes to test the fit..

After screwing the legs on, I couldn't really be any happier! The CP lines up "about" the same height as my astro (I imagine, once I put the feet on with the risers, it'll line up perfectly).

She lines up pretty well to the feet cover.. I've purchased a set of feet from yanton so they'll be much better than this pair.. At least the screws aren't rusted!

Sit down conversion complete!

Now to start filling and then painting process...

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

Yeah a few places quoted me over 550 to do....i would imagine its because they just don't want to do it.

Wheel wire, sand, clean, fill, sand, clean, prime, sand, paint, wet sand, paint, wet sand, paint, wet sand, paint, cut polish it is then

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear that , think they were taking you for a ride , or like you said not interested in the job , I was looking at the metal parts on my universal cab not as much square metres as the jap driving cab , anyway Iam sure you will get it looking mint , like the way you have got the plastic looking with the retrobrite we're to you get that stuff , or did you end up painting the plastic

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

Sorry to hear that , think they were taking you for a ride , or like you said not interested in the job , I was looking at the metal parts on my universal cab not as much square metres as the jap driving cab , anyway Iam sure you will get it looking mint , like the way you have got the plastic looking with the retrobrite we're to you get that stuff , or did you end up painting the plastic
    I will be painting the plastic too... Just so everything is the same colour.

That said, it's just peroxide 40 vol from any hairdresser. The one I got was from hair house warehouse

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information