Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bottom cabinet replacement

• 2 weeks later...

My Star Race chip board cabinet bottom was totally shot with water damage.

I went to Bunnings and got a sheet of 7 ply non structural plywood. They even cut it for size for me which saved me a pile of time.

Using a plywood gave the cabinet tremendous strength and allowed me to rebuild the sides of the cabinet that were affected by water rot.

The seven ply did protrude slightly from the underside of the cabinet but as part of the cabinet refurbishment I rounded out the edges with turbo big and you wouldn't know the difference unless you deliberately looked at it.

I need to replace the bottom of a pinball cabinet. I’ve seen a few threads on this before but can’t find them again. Can anyone remember a good thread?

Method changes slightly depending on whether the old base is still held in good or not and what material was originally used

Basically it’s:

1. Turn cab upside down and chisel out the rebate that holds the base in

2. Turn the cab up the right way and bash the base out

3. Turn cab upside down again and clean up the rebated edges so that the new base fits nicely

4. Sparingly add liquid nails to the rebate sides and fit the new base staples can be added as an option at this time

5. Cut strips of 9mm ply just wider than the step from the base to edges of the cab

6. Glue strips in with PVA glue and clamp well (spring clamps work well for this)

7. After glue is dry trim back the 9mm ply overhang to be flush with cab sides

8. Done!