Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Making metal shiny - tumbler, ultrasonic or by hand?

thesav

Question

How do you all give a good long lasting shine to the metal parts in your machines?

I own an ultrasonic cleaner, but it seems to only be good for removing some dirt, not actually giving any real shine to parts - a bit disappointing really - perhaps someone can give me some tips?..

I've heard tumblers are great, but they seem slow and a little tedious - having to run overnight, or for multiple days at a time and then needing to pluck media from places it shouldn't be.. I'm also not sure what to buy, or where to buy it from in Aussie?

I've also seen various tutorials on people using bench grinders or drills with polishing wheels etc - especially for ball guides etc.

I've currently got 1½ machines to restore, and looking to expand over the coming years. Mostly smaller parts at the moment, but certainly some ball guides and under playfield mounts etc as well.

I'm currently using metal polish and some microfiber cloths coupled with plenty of elbow grease.. I'm really keen to move away from the manual polishing (and give my little IT fingers a rest), and migrate to something easier, more robust and less time consuming..

Thoughts?

21 answers to this question

Sav, it's worth remembering what the various treatments do.

Tumblers and hand polishing are physical (abrasive) treatments. An ultrasonic bath is essentially a chemical treatment. No matter if you use water, an organic solvent or another agent you are cleaning the surface through a chemical interaction (dissolution, ionic or covalent exchange).

Physical treatments will give you the best refinished surfaces generally

Mmm the cordless drill is a good idea I hadn’t thought of.. I like it.

What about a dremel type tool?

What chemicals or additives do you use in your ultrasonic cleaners aside from water?

If I went down the route of buying a tumbler, where would I go about buying one?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Mmm the cordless drill is a good idea I hadn’t thought of.. I like it.

What about a dremel type tool?

What chemicals or additives do you use in your ultrasonic cleaners aside from water?

If I went down the route of buying a tumbler, where would I go about buying one?

The tumblers can be bought at some gun shops. I think Lyman is the brand. I’ve tried polishing using the dremel and it’s pretty painful.

These parts were drill polished - except the flat things.

IMG_4035.thumb.JPG.b2d8e8a3c767f5e2c10dd0229043446b.JPG

Tumbler. Put the nuts back on the threaded posts / screws etc. This stops media getting into the nuts & having to be picked out ( a scribe is good for that). Put it in for 3 days. I think I have walnut shell & corn cob media & put in a bit of liquid polish, like brasso. Same media has been in there for a long time now. Still works fine

As above, depends on plating type also

Tumblers good for polishing

Doing it manually or on a buffing wheel good for polishing

Ultrasonic best for cleaning.

So if your cleaning go Ultrsonic, if your polishing then go the first options

But it also doesn't hurt to have both an ultrasonic cleaner and a tumbler. Sometimes Its good to use both when cleaning allot of annoying dirty small parts, Ultrasonic first and then into the tumbler to polish.

Thanks so far guys, really helpful.

I’ll go grab a polishing wheel or two for my drill tomorrow and try that method this weekend.

I’d still like to buy a tumbler for lots of smaller parts. Though the prices I’ve found online seem a little steep..

Does anyone have a link to what tumbler they bought previously or what you’d buy now? Or even where to buy from?

And where / what media do you buy for tumblers??

Thanks

Thanks so far guys, really helpful.

I’ll go grab a polishing wheel or two for my drill tomorrow and try that method this weekend.

I’d still like to buy a tumbler for lots of smaller parts. Though the prices I’ve found online seem a little steep..

Does anyone have a link to what tumbler they bought previously or what you’d buy now? Or even where to buy from?

And where / what media do you buy for tumblers??

Thanks

Tumblers, Have a read here in my restore thread post #39

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/56496-Paragon-restore/page4?highlight=Paragon

Can anyone help me out on how I’m gonna get this jammed screw out?? What is the shanked nut on the bottom of the playfield called? I think I might need a replacement of both when I’m done......

IMG_0090.thumb.JPG.f37c8d493cbe5b276a4c0a9f654ad1a5.JPG

IMG_0088.thumb.JPG.5e7e4496e6d49518f0cc2633ce4543a0.JPG

[ATTACH]136841[/ATTACH]

IMG_0089.thumb.JPG.664ccf2cbe1b3f1d186de15686c041c3.JPG

Edited by thesav

I finally got to some playfield disassembly today.. phew.. There’s certainly 20-million years of dirt on this bad boy...

[ATTACH]136839[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]136843[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]136844[/ATTACH]

The disassembly went pretty well, however I ran into one hiccup trying to get this particular screw out..

Can anyone help me out on how I’m gonna get this jammed screw out?? What is the shanked nut on the bottom of the playfield called? I think I might need a replacement of both when I’m done......

[ATTACH]136840[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]136842[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]136841[/ATTACH]

I think your talking about T Nut or Tee Nut.

It has spikes that grip into the bottom of the playfield.

Come in a few sizes...

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/4408-01118-01.html

Oops this post was meant for my JP restore there’s. Oops!

Thanks though, any tips on getting that Tee nut off without mangling the screw?

You've got enough meet on that t nut to grip it with a pair of pliers.

If the thread is stuffed try a dob of lube on the thread to get it unscrewed and you'll need a new one and t nut.

You've got enough meet on that t nut to grip it with a pair of pliers.

If the thread is stuffed try a dob of lube on the thread to get it unscrewed and you'll need a new one and t nut.

Got him out. Thanks toads. Just needed a little encouragement & now a replacement...

IMG_0104.thumb.JPG.8133e1b33f1c78707cd5c4063ce06653.JPG

Clean parts first using ultrasonic (rinse & dry immediately, else plating can become etched), then into the tumbler.

When done, another quick dip in the ultrasonic and again rinse & dry. You don't want shiite getting into your tumbling media which then needs to be buffed off the parts and the media replaced often.

Walnut shells & a Lyeman 2500 here, but remember, you can't polish a turd so if there is etching on the parts bin 'em.

Clean parts first using ultrasonic (rinse & dry immediately, else plating can become etched), then into the tumbler.

When done, another quick dip in the ultrasonic and again rinse & dry. You don't want shiite getting into your tumbling media which then needs to be buffed off the parts and the media replaced often.

Walnut shells & a Lyeman 2500 here, but remember, you can't polish a turd so if there is etching on the parts bin 'em.

I appreciate the detailed methodology :) That’s great.

How long do you run your ultrasonic for? Do you run it at a particular temperature? And what do you add aside from just water?

Can't help with that info sorry. Mate has the jewellery cleaner while I have the .357 Magnum shell polisher. I did see him put Aldi paving cleaner in it once. A bit of dish liquid and a Chux will get me a result the same as he gives me.