State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Australia

Cleaning 'stubborn' marks on playfield

I have an absolutely original Terminator 2 that I am going to sell.

Can people suggest what they use to get more resistant marks out. My playfield has marks in the return lanes that Mr Sheen is not removing.

Three suggestions so far: Novis (not sure what number), metho, Auto polish???

I was originally planning to completely strip and clean the playfield along with every metal screw, rail guide etcetc and led it out.

A mate was over last night. He had a good look at it and suggested that before I do that, offer it up 'as is'. His reasoning was that it's already in excellent unrestored condition and someone may want it this way.

So all I am going to do is give the playfield a good clean - but not strip it - and put it up for sale.

SL370122.jpg

State
    Lake Macquarie NSW
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    Australia
    I would be careful and probably avoid using "auto polish" on any playfield, as most are abrasive, unless using a pure carnauba wax which will simply offer some protection and shine to your playfield after cleaning.

You will find most use Novus 2 then Novus 1. However, keep in mind Novus 2 and above are also abrasive.

IMO I stay away from anything abrasive on the playfield, I have found using Novus 2 in the past that it may "dull" the clear, others may disagree though

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    I would be careful and probably avoid using "auto polish" on any playfield, as most are abrasive, unless using a pure carnauba wax which will simply offer some protection and shine to your playfield after cleaning.

You will find most use Novus 2 then Novus 1. However, keep in mind Novus 2 and above are also abrasive.

IMO I stay away from anything abrasive on the playfield, I have found using Novus 2 in the past that it may "dull" the clear, others may disagree though
    Thx for the comments.
    So what would you use?

State
    Sydney, NSW
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Australia
    The track marks in the return lanes get ground into the clearcoat, so you need to polish them out. My recommendation would be to use Novus 2 or a similar lightly abrasive product.

www.afpinball.com

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ocyen View Post
    The track marks in the return lanes get ground into the clearcoat, so you need to polish them out. My recommendation would be to use Novus 2 or a similar lightly abrasive product.
    Yeh thx for that. The marks are in the clearcoat - but not much - but not through to the paint.

Someone in the repair/restoration said they use Metho in this situation as any excess vaporises. What do ya reckon?

State
    Sydney, NSW
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Australia
    It may do something, but it'll only clean off whatever is on the surface. You'll still need something with a bit of bite to get it fully out.

www.afpinball.com

State
    SE Queensland
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Quoted
    867 Post(s)
    Australia
    If you're selling the game just tidy it up and leave jobs like these to the new owner. Provided you plan to ask a reasonable price for your game, and not a premium, no prospective buyer will worry about a few light marks on the playfield.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

State
    Lake Macquarie NSW
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballcreature View Post
    Thx for the comments.
    So what would you use?
    If it was me and that is the only problem with the playfield, then leave it as is as mentioned above for the new owner to deal with. What you have shown in the pic provided is not going to affect your sale or price of the machine whatsoever.

If you are adamant in removing the marks then try novus 2, only use a tiny, tiny bit, and do not rub with force, or try in an area where it cannot be noticed first to see the effects, it will more then likely be fine, but keep in mind that it is an abrasive product.

All the best with the sale when you finally list the machine

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    If it was me and that is the only problem with the playfield, then leave it as is as mentioned above for the new owner to deal with. What you have shown in the pic provided is not going to affect your sale or price of the machine whatsoever.

If you are adamant in removing the marks then try novus 2, only use a tiny, tiny bit, and do not rub with force, or try in an area where it cannot be noticed first to see the effects, it will more then likely be fine, but keep in mind that it is an abrasive product.

All the best with the sale when you finally list the machine
    I think you are right. Thanks!

I've been working with Mr Sheen again and it's nearly gone. So close.

Damn, you start working on a machine with a view to selling it and then you see just how good it looks

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)
    Australia
    I'd probably use naphtha (shellite) before I tried Novus 2. Naphtha often get crap off that I can't get with just a microfiber cloth.

It shouldn't react with the clear, but I'd test it on an out of the way bit of clear first, like under the apron.

It will remove any wax so you'll need to re wax after.
    Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information