Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shorted Matrix Row That Won't Unshort.

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1824 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    Arr OK. I've changed a fair few U20 ULN2803 in the past but they have always been to fix switch Column problems. This is actually the first switch Row shorted to ground problem I have had and couldn't see how U20 would effect a whole Row to become shorted.
    There is another on the Power Driver PCB U19. I'm not sure if it's related but also worth a check.
    My pins: Wild life EM, Top Score Em, Space Mission EM, Target Alpha EM, Cleopatra SS, Pin*Bot SS, Indiana Jones WPC, Black~Rose WPC.
    My Arcades: Funland Rifle EM, Hankin Table 20", Mame 20" Horizontal Cab, 17 in 1 Horizontal 20" cab, Outrun2 sit down game rear projection, Foosball table.

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1824 Post(s)
    Australia
    I was having a look at the schematic on I.J possible other ic's could affect rows are U16~U19 (Lm339) & U11~U15 (74LS240) but which ones?
    Also did you check diodes D2~D18 just in case.
    My pins: Wild life EM, Top Score Em, Space Mission EM, Target Alpha EM, Cleopatra SS, Pin*Bot SS, Indiana Jones WPC, Black~Rose WPC.
    My Arcades: Funland Rifle EM, Hankin Table 20", Mame 20" Horizontal Cab, 17 in 1 Horizontal 20" cab, Outrun2 sit down game rear projection, Foosball table.

State
    Sydney, NSW
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)
    Australia
    Does the power driver board have a relay on it for the flippers? If so perhaps the optocouplers are worth a check? Interesting reading about it here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.ph...pTronics_Games

www.afpinball.com

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1176 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ocyen View Post
    Does the power driver board have a relay on it for the flippers? If so perhaps the optocouplers are worth a check? Interesting reading about it here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.ph...pTronics_Games
    No relay on the driver board. Ive had to change blown optocouplers before on boards like T2. No lane change was the symptom I spotted with opto problems. This machine's symptoms were, other than it booting up with the warning "Ground Short Row 2", was because the machine is Judge Dredd, no way to launch the ball at the start of each ball because one of the Row switches effected is the ball launcher switch. Other than that, the machine did still play.

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quoted
    765 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ocyen View Post
    It’s a fliptronic game so no relay

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1824 Post(s)
    Australia
    So still no closer to an answer as to what's wrong?

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1176 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2544 View Post
    So still no closer to an answer as to what's wrong?
    I gave up and sent the board to Ken. I have already lost bad on this repair, sinking to many unpaid hours into it so the best solution was send it to someone that has a test bench. I have done most of the playfield repairs already and the customer wants the machine back so rather than throw more unpaid hours into the board, send it to the master.

I have another two machines lined up so I just started on them till the board comes back.

State
    Sydney, NSW
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)
    Australia
    Perhaps a short in the connector or even the header pins? Maybe some solder bridging a couple of traces?

Keen to know what the final solution turns out to be...

www.afpinball.com

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    537 Post(s)
    Australia
    so here's hoping for your sake it is the board

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1824 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    I gave up and sent the board to Ken. I have already lost bad on this repair, sinking to many unpaid hours into it so the best solution was send it to someone that has a test bench. I have done most of the playfield repairs already and the customer wants the machine back so rather than throw more unpaid hours into the board, send it to the master.

I have another two machines lined up so I just started on them till the board comes back.
    I totally agree, It's hard when you don't have a test bench.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information