Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Jamma harness question

thejudge

Question

I just picked up an cocktail arcade that I assume is currently wired as non-jamma as the Capcom board it is running is using a jamma adapter.

I don't know that much about this area but it seems that these Capcom to jamma adapters only work for specific games so, for example, if I try and use a 60-1 jamma pcb I don't think it would work?

Therefore, since I only want to run jamma pcbs, I am thinking that the easiest way will be to rewire the machine with a jamma harness.

I have seem a few on ebay, but is there any particular one that is recommended (possibly in English) and any traps to avoids?

thanks

21 answers to this question

Is the Capcom game an actual JAMMA board? Depending on the game in there, your cabinet 'adaptor' might not be a 'your cabinet' to JAMMA adaptor. It might just be a 'your cabinet' to Capcom adaptor. For example, 1942 and Ghosts n Goblins isn't JAMMA pinout. It's Capcoms unique pinout.

You can wire any cabinet pretty much to use JAMMA games, so you could make an adaptor that plugs into your cabinet and goes to JAMMA. It does depend on how many buttons your cabinet has though. Your cabinet may only have 2 buttons for each player, or even only 1, so you would only be able to play JAMMA games with the same button count. Unless you add extra buttons to your cab.

Is the Capcom game an actual JAMMA board? Depending on the game in there, your cabinet 'adaptor' might not be a 'your cabinet' to JAMMA adaptor. It might just be a 'your cabinet' to Capcom adaptor. For example, 1942 and Ghosts n Goblins isn't JAMMA pinout. It's Capcoms unique pinout.

Yeah, its GnG. So it's not JAMMA but uses the same plug ?

So, based on what you said, if I convert my cabinet to JAMMA then the GnG PCB won't work.

You can wire any cabinet pretty much to use JAMMA games, so you could make an adaptor that plugs into your cabinet and goes to JAMMA. It does depend on how many buttons your cabinet has though. Your cabinet may only have 2 buttons for each player, or even only 1, so you would only be able to play JAMMA games with the same button count. Unless you add extra buttons to your cab.

My cabinet has 2 players, 4-way joystick and 2 buttons for each player.

How do I work out what wiring my cabinet has at the moment, or that that pretty standard, and can these adapter be bought or have to be made ?

I only have a few multi JAMMA PCBs at the moment i.e. 60-1 & ArcadeSD, but it would be good to set this up right to start with.

How do I work out what wiring my cabinet has at the moment

Hey mate, Id assume it would be like this: https://www.arcade-museum.com/pinouts-game/7938.html

You could always use that as a guide and then use a multi meter to confirm 12v, 5v, ground and continuity tester for things like buttons etc. to confirm that your wiring is in fact as per that above link.

If youre intending to reuse that GnG board again in future and didnt want to chop up and rewire the current harness, you could always buy a JAMMA extension harness. Itd have a finger board (which would connect to your current edge connector) and JAMMA connector on the other end - then you can move your wiring around on the extension harness to adapt Capcom GnG wiring to standard JAMMA - then plug your JAMMA pcbs into the extension end only. That way you could remove the extension and reinstall GnG if you wanted into the original harness.

p.s. I found an adapter which works the other way around http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/357/capcom-jamma-adapter.htm , but not the opposite as you are needing.

Thanks @mrjamma & @Holy-SNES for the above replies.

As the GnG board is working now it might be easier the just make an adapter from my current wiring to JAMMA.

So my question is, how do I do this? I assume there is documented pinout info for a JAMMA connector and if so would you know where?

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm a bit new to the JAMMA world :)

Edited by thejudge

Wiring differences

[ATTACH=CONFIG]136281[/ATTACH]

One possible idea with JAMMA extension

[ATTACH=CONFIG]136283[/ATTACH]

Great stuff, this info is exactly what I was looking for.

I'll just order the JAMMA extension and go from there.

Thanks for your help :)

I have got this adapter working now except for the sound.

I was told the sound wasn't working before on the GnG board but it's also not working on my test 60-1 jamma board.

So, I checked the wiring with my MM and it looks OK so just thinking if the speaker could be bad?

Is there an easy way to check this apart from putting in another speaker (which I don't have at the moment)?

The current speaker in there is 8ohm 1.5w, on ebay there some cheap 8ohm 5w speakers from China, would they do.

What about any local supplier recommendations for the speaker, prefer not to wait 3 weeks for a China speaker.

Update:

I pulled a 8ohm 50w speaker out of some thing I have and connected it up and it worked, so the speaker is bad.

The closest Jaycar have in 4" speakers are 4ohm 2w, so I could possibly grab 2 and hooked them up in series.

Edited by thejudge

Wiring differences

[ATTACH=CONFIG]136281[/ATTACH]

I managed to break the connector going to the GnG PCB.

I had a bit of spare time today so I decided to wire in a new connector.

2018-12-22 16.57.42.jpg

I have checked my new wiring based on the pictures of the original connector wiring and they are the same, but I have one difference looking at the above wiring diagram.

The diagram says Pin 22 on the parts side should be counter 2 GND but my connection is to +12v from the Jamma harness?

I just want to see if anyone knows if this is Normal?

If the previous page diagram is correct then that wouldnt right id think.

22 parts side should be a ground for the coin counter left side (if using a coin counter) .

Wouldnt see why it would be 12v

Did the cab already have a connector for that board which youve copied (thus the 12v being there) or are you converting jamma to this board connector from scratch

Might be worth searching online more just to double check the diagram needed for your board in case the one i gound is wrong

Did the cab already have a connector for that board which youve copied (thus the 12v being there) or are you converting jamma to this board connector from scratch

Might be worth searching online more just to double check the diagram needed for your board in case the one i gound is wrong

Yes, it was an existing connector that I copied. I'll search around to see if I can find anything.

Is it possible because it's a bootleg PCB it might be wired differently?

Hey mate

A couple thoughts

1. I think itd be worth posting a couple of pics up of the pcb for identification. This is 100% what id be doing as a first step personally.

Sounds a bit messy and uncertain at the moment.

2. Also Are you ditching the jamma idea (for a 60 in 1) and are you making it dedicated for this pcb,

or

will it be jamma wired first, then with a finger board adapter just for this pcb?

Based on above it sounds like you broke your connector (non jamma) and are simply replacing it as is with no jamma involvement or intentions

3. Would love a pic of the connector/harness you were copying. I assume it never worked before though right?

Might want to check where the wire in question actually goes. It could be the 12 volt supply to the coin meter itself. Some of the pre jamma wiring is all over the place usually placed on the pinout to suit the parts located on the board.

When jamma was introduced, the first boards used heaps of jumpers to get the wires in order but over time they started placing parts on the board to actually suit the jamma pinout and they got it right where little to no jumpers were required.

Hey mate

A couple thoughts

1. I think itd be worth posting a couple of pics up of the pcb for identification. This is 100% what id be doing as a first step personally.

Sounds a bit messy and uncertain at the moment.

I am actually trying to sell the PCB at the moment, here is the sales thread with pictures.

I just wanted to fix the connector on the finger board adapter to make it complete.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/97447-Ghosts-n-Goblins-Arcade-PCB-NON-JAMMA

2. Also Are you ditching the jamma idea (for a 60 in 1) and are you making it dedicated for this pcb,

or

will it be jamma wired first, then with a finger board adapter just for this pcb?

I have converted a clone cocktail cabinet and put in a LCD and an ArcadeSD PCB. So I no longer need this PCB.

Based on above it sounds like you broke your connector (non jamma) and are simply replacing it as is with no jamma involvement or intentions

3. Would love a pic of the connector/harness you were copying. I assume it never worked before though right?

Here is the pic of the original connector

2018-12-22 09.35.31.jpg

And a pic of the finger board adaptor.

2018-12-22 11.10.00.jpg

It worked fine before. I was very careful when wiring the new connector it just raised a concern when the wiring didn't match the wiring diagram.

And I now have no way to test it so just wanted to checked before I sell it.

- - - Updated - - -

Might want to check where the wire in question actually goes. It could be the 12 volt supply to the coin meter itself. Some of the pre jamma wiring is all over the place usually placed on the pinout to suit the parts located on the board.

I checked with my multimeter from the Jamma harness through to the end and it is the +12v.

I have also replaced the original connector on the Jamma harness and confirmed the pinout for it.

Strange and even more weird that it was working like that.

I wouldnt have thought a bootleg would have its own individual wiring pattern. I would have assumed it would copy the original boards wiring diagram (i.e. if not jamma, then capcoms wiring as per the previous page which the original board would be using).

I cant really comment to be honest.

Hi @Womble . Just tagging you as I saw a bootleg repair of Ghosts and Goblins you have done recently. Does Judges one look familiar at all?

I can't understand why this thread has become something so complicated! It's become difficult, but from my understanding...

You have a cocktail cab that is wired to a 56 pin connector

You then had a separate adaptor that plugged into this connector and was wired to your GnG PCB (which you're now selling)

You wanted to convert the original connector in your cab to JAMMA (remove GnG adaptor)

What I can't understand is why you did what you did. You broke the original connector, and then went ahead and bought a new connector and wired it up exactly the same way! Why would you do this? Your main goal was to convert this cabinet to JAMMA. When the original connector broke, why didn't you just wire up the new connector to JAMMA pinout instead of writing it the same as your original pinout?

My advise, start again from scratch. Cut the connector off and solder up a new connector, this time making it JAMMA.

From what ive understood - Hes keeping his cab jamma wired now which is working, but wanted to sell the non jamma bootleg gng board with an adapter for someone to use in a jamma cab (and i suppose to test and make sure it all works including a no audio problem previously faced which was likely due to incorrect wiring assumedly) :)

I guess he could sell the bootleg with no adapter as-is (uncertain audio) condition. Guessing wants to sell as confirmed working board would be my assumption

Ahh ok ok I follow now.

So the connector he broke was the connector for the GnG adaptor, not the actual cab connector.

Looks like he's posting in Wombles thread also but, I just checked all of my GnG bootlegs and pins 25/C and 22/Z and bridged on the underside. So the 12V can go to either one. I'm assuming your board will be the same.

So if the audio is working on his 60 in 1 board (he mentioned the speaker was dead) but not on his GnG, then it will be a board issue... Caps, amp, pot, IC's etc.

Ahh ok ok I follow now.

So the connector he broke was the connector for the GnG adaptor, not the actual cab connector.

Looks like he's posting in Wombles thread also but, I just checked all of my GnG bootlegs and pins 25/C and 22/Z and bridged on the underside. So the 12V can go to either one. I'm assuming your board will be the same.

So if the audio is working on his 60 in 1 board (he mentioned the speaker was dead) but not on his GnG, then it will be a board issue... Caps, amp, pot, IC's etc.

Thanks for helping guys.

Yes, I just wanted to make sure that the board adaptor was wired correctly before selling it. @Holy-SNES you are correct there must be a bridge between 25/C and 22/Z because my MM gave me a buzz.

The sound issue was caused by a faulty speaker only as it would work intermittently which has now been fixed.

I just posted on Wombles thread to get his help which he did :)

On with the sale now, looks like going to gummy as no takes on AA