Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

security camera recommendations

looking at installing a wireless security camera. just halfway down the driveway.

not only for my shed but for my ss redline that sits in the driveway.

looking at the signal to be throw back to either my mobile or the mac.

have 2 sensors lights down the driveway. though it didn't stop the little c*nts getting into my ute during the week. though didn't help leaving the ute unlocked.

I have an Arlo pro setup.

Using 4 external cameras and one internal.

Free one week's of recording which is accessible from phone app or web browser, I also have alerts sent to my email.

And the plans aren't too bad of toy want to hold longer then a week or more than 5 cameras.

Lots of configuration options.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by Scotty T

I recommend having at least 4 cam setup at your place.

dahua is the brand you want , I've installed over 50 systems , zero hardware faults in over 3 years , also I wouldn't recommend wireless . I would be putting POE (power over eathernet)cameras In.

Also an additional tip is to have a NVR( network video recorder) with a separate POE injector , that way if the 12v power supply section does burn out you don't need to replace the entire NVR.

Easy to use app plus many other useful features

Totally out side the square thinking here but you can get Trail cams that send a picture or video to your phone or PC when they take a picture or video.

They are totally waterproof, can be battery powered for months or powered by a power supply. Can be set to take pictures or video or both. They take excellent pictures or videos in daytime or black and white pictures or videos at night time.

Motion detection that is adjustable or time laps picture, video settings and of coarse totally wireless with a nice camo paint job.

Like I said, totally out side the square thinking but these are what councils are using to catch illegal dumpers in the bush around my area.

Interested why not recommend wireless.

For me, it's the best option.

Battery last for me when set to 30 sec or record as long as there is motion for around 2-3 months.

One of my cameras that is on the gutter of a two story house has it's own solar panel, never need to charge that battery,

The footage can be saved either on the phone or computer.

Also has geo-fencing and also the ability to arm / disarm when your out of a zone etc.

The one in my back yard lasts about 2-3 months, set on 30 sec recording.

My internal one (still Arlo brand) is POE.

I also have USB in the base unit, so Internet is down the recordings still get save.

Many option but the after market support ion Arlo is great, so can get 3rd party add-ons and 3d printed stuff for them.

Here's my poe camera, recording motion

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/1BF39F4627B82D4A_201809

An External camera (front door)

This one is an older unit, only 720P

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/7CEC8E7F1916F69C_201809

What drive me to this, was I could install myself without much issues.

Modular can build it ip, has an alarm which you can activate yourself.

Records to the cloud and locally.

Wireless, I have the ability to move the cameras around, which I'll do when I'm on holidays.

I'm not saying this is the best option, but it's the best option / comprimse for features and ease of use for me.

Good luck in your choice!

• Super Moderator

Wireless is a phalucy.. You still have to power the camera, so if you're running power to the camera you may as well run some CAT6 data cable to the camera location, and as above look for a POE solution. That is, both power and video running through the same cable run. All cable will run back to a central location where the NVR is located (network video recorder). Ideally where your router is so you can connect and then view via your phone etc. If the NVR is at a different location to the router, you could possibly use Power LAN adapter's. These allow connection to the router via your electrical circuit.

Drop me a pm if you what any more help out suggestions.

D.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Wireless is a phalucy.. You still have to power the camera, so if you're running power to the camera you may as well run some CAT6 data cable to the camera location, and as above look for a POE solution. That is, both power and video running through the same cable run. All cable will run back to a central location where the NVR is located (network video recorder). Ideally where your router is so you can connect and then view via your phone etc. If the NVR is at a different location to the router, you could possibly use Power LAN adapter's. These allow connection to the router via your electrical circuit.

D.

Phalucy?

I disagree.

I've got cameras where I don't need to run addition cables be it Ethernet or power.

I have one in my gym where it would mean external cabling or removing panels / brick etc to run cabling.

It would be like saying you should plug your notebook/ iPad etc into Ethernet / hardwire instead of using wireless as they still needs power?

Anyway, I'm not an installer, have no vested interested in any product just my opinion after I did my research in what suits me the best, and so far in the year I had my setup (also adding an additional camera a few months ago,) no issues.

I'm not going to say one method / system is better than the rest, as I didn't try others.

Only what I read up on and researched.

But will say I have found no issues with wireless and gave me the freedom and ease of setting up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

D.

yer I always found it easier to run a camera cable through the roof than it was to run hard wired power cables to a camera and you dont really want a bunch of cameras just plugged in at the nearest wall plug for obvious reasons,

Might be a different story though if some one had a long driveway and wanted a camera at an electric gate and could tap into that power supply over running cable back to the house. that would really be the only time I would do these so called wireless systems.

Tobe fair, there are also Solar cameras as well, again would be useful for out doors in a location that is a long distance from power source or the dvr,

But You would obviously need to make sure over that distant the camera is able to get reception with the Wifi.

the biggest pro for cabled Cameras to a DVR is they are more stable for recording, and easier to install your self

Edited by jason1