Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Horizontal lines on LG LC470WUD monitor

ocyen

Question

Hi all,

I'm trying to fix up a sit-down fish hunter arcade cab that has some monitor issues. This is my first LCD arcade cabinet so I'm still learning how to work on it. I When I first got the game, the monitor would not power up. The problem turned out to be the LCD controller board. I ordered a replacement which appeared to work, but now I get intermittent horizontal lines appearing on the display. Here is a video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgdlTxYSIui8w2aulSMbaJ4faW68. They seem to be a bit worse in one half of the screen. I've tried reseating connectors to no avail. The odd part is that the horizontal lines only appear when the game has booted up. The game runs off a Windows XP machine and there are no lines on the screen when the motherboard boots up or when the system is initially loading. Once it gets into the game, the lines start playing up.

Any pointers for further troubleshooting would be much appreciated!

5 answers to this question

Check the resolution settings. I could be booting fine on low res out of windoz but on high res the game puts out, the lines suddenly appear. I would normally say the panel connections but you have checked them already so now I'm suggesting dropping the game's resolution that isn't to high.

Check the resolution settings. I could be booting fine on low res out of windoz but on high res the game puts out, the lines suddenly appear. I would normally say the panel connections but you have checked them already so now I'm suggesting dropping the game's resolution that isn't to high.

Hi Steve

Good call - I will play around with the resolution settings on the PC. I did also notice that the colours aren't right in the game - it's almost as if it is running in 256 colour mode. But that's probably further evidence for resolution settings to be the issue. Will look into it.

Hi Steve

Good call - I will play around with the resolution settings on the PC. I did also notice that the colours aren't right in the game - it's almost as if it is running in 256 colour mode. But that's probably further evidence for resolution settings to be the issue. Will look into it.

Normally it wouldn't be an issue but maybe that monitor isn't capable of upscaling. Therefore if the data isn't there, nothing will appear on that line. Upscaling simply fills in these lines normally but if the monitor can't do it and the res is to high, you get what you are experiencing.

Be aware the video cards can be locked to the game or vice versa. It was one of the first forms of piracy protection arcade games with PCs used where the game goes looking for the video card type that was only available from the game maker.

That kills many old video games but often the video card stops simply because the cooling fan died, the video card overheats and you loose the picture. We got real good at attaching PC fans to video cards when the original fan died. It was either that or the whole machine was rubbish because the supply of the "one off" video cards was exhausted from the manufacturer.

Alright, I have narrowed this down to the LCD controller board. Last week the LCD controller board stopped working altogether. I'd get no picture at all and the screen would go into a reboot cycle. I took another LCD controller out of a working game and put it in the faulty cab. This got the screen going again. I have looked for a replacement LCD controller board but these are not easy to find. There is one on eBay but the seller keeps saying you need to program the board before it can be used. Not sure what he means and the language barrier makes it difficult to figure out. Do these boards require specific programming to work or are they all plug and play? Is there another board I can get to replace this one or do I need this specific controller? Surely there is a generic one out there that may work.

Finally managed to get this sorted a little while ago. I had another look at the original board and replaced all of the capacitors just for kicks. Turns out, one of the caps must have been bad, because it started working again after that.