QLD
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Battle of the Arcades OZ & NZ 2019

Hey mates

Save the dates!! June 15 and 16

Invites for Battle of the Arcades OZ & NZ 2019 have been sent out.

Like last year, venues will be asked to nominate two titles for the event. Then depending on the amount of arcades participating we will draw 8 to 10 titles at random for the tournament. We will be leaning on the BOTA USA format more this year and opening up the event for longer game times and more time spent working as a team.

As this contest will be done via honor system, we will also be asking arcades to nominate a tournament director who will be keeping in contact with myself, responsible for keeping track of scores, ensuring all games are on the correct settings and managing the games and participants. We would also love as many arcades as possible to stream their event via Twitch so we can all interact and cheer each other on.

Lot's more details to follow. Go see your local arcade and make sure they get involved.

Woop!!!

51210381_298666957461148_2725827266721349632_n.jpg

Invites have been sent to:

QLD:
    Netherworld - YES
    1 Up Freeplay Arcade - YES
    Pincadia - YES

NSW:
    1989 Arcade Bar - YES

VIC:
    Pixel Alley
    Bartonica

S.A:
    Gameroom Essentials

W.A:
    Player 1
    Palace Arcade

Christchurch:
    Arcadia - YES
    Last edited by Jimmy Nails; 22nd February 2019 at 09:29 AM.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Awesome news.

Start learning how to play Bump 'n' Jump you Netherworld lot

State
    Vic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Fantastic news! I've been keenly anticipating this announcement.

Pixel Alley's management is undergoing a change at the moment; as I know the chap who kindly ran the event for us last year, Drue @Dungeon Master has recently stepped down. He didn't sound optimistic that they would support it this year when I heard from him last, but hopefully the likes of @Arcadinator, @Hayaeti and myself can gently encourage them in the right direction. Wouldn't want to miss this!

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    So what is the nomination process - if we (Pincaida) nominate games, will they be kept secret until all participating arades also nominate?

State
    christchurch
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    WOW good to see Arcadia in Christchurch one of Battle of the Arcade

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimzone View Post
    WOW good to see Arcadia in Christchurch one of Battle of the Arcade
    Been chatting with the owners via email this week, sounds like they are very passionate about the hobby just as all the barcade owners are here in Australia. Gonna be some fun times with the Kiwi's, NZ even has some half decent arcade players - @Barra isn't one of them

@Jimmy Nails - so when is the cut off for the other arcades to reply - and and what is the story with nominations - will they be kept secret until everyone nominates?

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Hey mates. I have an update for you on the state of play for the second annual Battle of the Arcades Oz & NZ.

So far confirmed entrants are:
    Netherworld
    Pincadia
    1 Up Freeplay Arcade
    1989 Arcade Bar
    Arcadia Christchurch

I am yet to hear a word from any of the Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne venues so if you are local to one of those venues and want to get involved please make contact with them. Cut off for venue entry is going to be the end of March. I want to give everyone time but also we need to finalise the games list so we can all get cracking on practice.

On that note!!! Drum roll please....................

The games so far nominated are:

Netherworld
    - Metal Slug 3
    - Space Invaders

Pincadia
    - Ladybug
    - Amidar

1 Up Freeplay Arcade
    - Blazing Star
    - Final Fight

1989 Arcade Bar
    - Pacman
    - Ghosts & Goblins

Arcadia Christchurch
    -
    -

I am loving this list. The modern games likely to really level the paying field

Updated format below. Happy for some feedback but John and Jon and I have played around with this for a while. Most particularly we wanted to expand the Sunday group time and also expand the maximum game time for people to really showcase their skills.

Getting pumped mates!!!!!!

Format:
    - the competition will be played over 8 or 10 unique arcade video games as nominated by each of the arcades
    - each arcade will nominate 2 arcade games for the competition
    - depending on the amount of arcades participating, 8 or 10 games will be drawn at random to decide the titles used
    - at least one game must be included from each arcades nominations
    - nominated games must ideally be common to all the arcades in the competition or be readily available on MAME or 'x in 1' boards.
    - nominated games should be playable with a standard 2, 4 or 8 way joystick and standard buttons
    - no light gun, driving simulator, or other games with special controls can be nominated unless all the arcades have that specific machine
    - each game must be set to TG settings unless different settings are decided upon prior to nominations closing
    - each venue must nominate a tournament director who will be responsible for inputting scores, managing queues and ensuring all games are on the agreed upon settings

Saturday 10am to 4pm - Internal Comp
    - venues are to hold an internal comp to find their top 10 players for the Sunday Battle of the Arcades
    - players may warm up prior to 10am
    - each player must play all listed games
    - competitors may have as many attempts at each game as he or she wishes within the timeframe, however no single attempt may last longer than 15 or 30 minutes (this is up to the discretion of each venue)
    - all attempts are to be made with 1 credit only, no continues
    - all game scores will be rated with the highest score on each machine awarding the player 100 points, second highest 99 points and so on
    - top 10 players with the highest accumulated rated score across all titles proceed to the team event on the Sunday

Sunday 10am to 6pm - Battle of the Arcades
    - players may warm up prior to 10am
    - each player must play all listed games
    - competitors may have as many attempts at each game as he or she wishes within the timeframe, however no single attempt may last longer than 60 minutes
    - players from all teams will submit scores to a central database using the matchplay.events or another online software tool
    - all game scores will be rated with the highest score on each machine awarding the player 100 points, second highest 99 points and so on
    - each venue may have up to 10 competitors in their team, though only the top 'x' from each team will go toward the team qualifying score
    - 'x' is equal to the team with the lowest amount of qualifiers though this number can not be lower then 6
    - teams with lower then 6 competitors will still play though may be at a disadvantage score wise
    - all scores must be entered live as soon as a game is completed, no sandbagging
    - the end of the tournament is a hard cutoff
    - players must end a current game they are in one minute before cut off. Any games still running after cut off will not be included in final scoring
    - as this tournament runs on an honour system, no excessive leeching or glitch abuse please
    - all attempts are to be made with 1 credit only, no continues
    - the total points of each team member will be added to determine the total points of each team. The team with the highest total points shall be crowned the Australian Battle of the Arcades Champion!
    Last edited by Jimmy Nails; 11th June 2019 at 01:39 PM.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Just an FYI regarding Amidar - we have picked it because it's a cool game and is also on the 60-1, however, the version on the 60-1 is the Stern ROM, not the Konami one. So venues wishing to use MAME instead of a 60-1 will need to make sure they have the correct ROM - we will of course clarify this when the final list is out.

And as for Ladybug, our 2nd submission, it does appear that that the 60-1 doesn't correctly emulate the difficulty - e.g. TG Settings are Medium difficulty, but the 60-1 does not seem to emulate medium correctly. I believe, but am not certain, that all settings for Ladybug on the 60-1 are all the same.... as in Easy on current versions of MAME - I will investigate further, in fact @Barra might have more insight about this already as we are playing it in an online competition at the moment.

Hopefully all venues have access to a 60-1 - they are cheap and pretty common. I know the NZ boys have one, as does NW. If we can use these, it will definitely solve scoring/settings discrepancies.
    @Jimmy Nails - love the ruleset. Only one I'm not a fan of is dropping games. For golden age games, it prob won't make a big difference, but 1 Up is mainly more modern games, and them losing one of their choices would severely handicap them - even more so than they already are because of the higher number of golden age games in the competition. Having said that, at this stage there are "only" 5 arcades playing - so there may be no need to drop a game in any case.

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    @Jimmy Nails - love the ruleset. Only one I'm not a fan of is dropping games. For golden age games, it prob won't make a big difference, but 1 Up is mainly more modern games, and them losing one of their choices would severely handicap them - even more so than they already are because of the higher number of golden age games in the competition. Having said that, at this stage there are "only" 5 arcades playing - so there may be no need to drop a game in any case.
    Yeah mate I agree 100%. I only left this caveat in as if we have all of the potential arcades agree to compete we could be playing up to 20 games and asking every venue to get that many machines ready would be super tough. Plus the comp would take forever hahahaha

Would still love to see a couple more venues join in from the other states. I haven't had a response from Arcadia in a while if anyone is in regular contact with them a gentle nudge on noms would be awesome.

I have been playing Blazing Star at the bar and it's an absolute blast. Love it.

Thanks for your notes on MAME vs 60in1 for the above games. We definitely have a bunch of 60in1's down stairs and they are pretty cheap to pick up as you say.

Getting pumped mates. Trying not to spend too much time on Blazing Star as I should be practicing for BOTA USA

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    For golden age games, it prob won't make a big difference, but 1 Up is mainly more modern games, and them losing one of their choices would severely handicap them - even more so than they already are because of the higher number of golden age games in the competition.
    Pretty even mix so far though, 4 "Golden Age" games, 3 "Credit Munchers" and G&G sort of sits in the middle. Gonna be one awesome competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Nails View Post
    Trying not to spend too much time on Blazing Star as I should be practicing for BOTA USA
    Glad I'm not the only one that's been playing heaps of Blazing Star instead of US BOTA games hahaha.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information