Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Battle of the Arcades OZ & NZ 2019

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing news mates

We officially have our final two arcades joining in.

Gameroom Essentials from Adelaide are a lock and have nominated Burger Time and Time Pilot!!

Arcadia Christchurch have also confirmed they are competing even though they missed the nomination window.

That means we now have 6 arcades competing. Amazing news!!!

Any of the other arcades we invited are welcome to join in at a later date though they will miss out on their logo being on the t-shirt which we are putting together at the moment.

So the final games list is:

- Metal Slug 3

- Space Invaders

- Ladybug

- Amidar

- Blazing Star

- Final Fight

- Pacman

- Ghosts & Goblins

- Burger Time

- Time Pilot

Pretty amazing list if you ask me. Will put together some final settings and guidelines for everyone post BOTA USA so we can all get practicing in earnest.

Thanks to everyone for their support. This year going to be bigger the ever!!

Going to allow leeching in time pilot? Refer to previous MGL thread we played tp for info

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I personally don't mind the parachute hunting (leeching if you will) - If I recall correctly, I might have been running it back then and allowed it as it is something that TG allows.

Parachute hunting for those who haven't tried it, is not as easy as it sounds. It takes incredible skill to pull it off. I'm for allowing it.

- - - Updated - - -

For what it's worth my initial submissions were played straight up. I had around 300K from memory. Then Spartan went on a leech fest and it was a case of "Red Rag meet Mr Bull."

To be honest I haven't thought about a 30 minute leeching score. Possibly about the same as I got back then but I'd need to check. I'd much rather play it the way the designer intended.

Edit: You actually just collect the guys on parachutes and avoid shooting planes unless unavoidable. Round 2 is the best place to do it. There's a 1500 point bonus plane on that round as well that doesn't count towards planes shot so that one's fair game as well

Yeah Round 2 is the one to do it on. I think I downloaded an INP at some stage, probably MARP or maybe TG when you could still do it for old scores. It was an amazing run either way.

I'll confess I've tried parachute hunting, and I simply can't do it very long. AFAIK, Round 2 does get harder (even on easiest settings) - you can't simply stay on that round forever without having impressive skills. I honestly can't see this BOTA having enough players that can parachute hunt to that level, but if they do, then I say go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes, seems like only yesterday. The MGL round that killed my regular playing of Time Pilot. So how many points can you get in 30 minutes just flying around shooting planes and not finishing the level? Just throw a ball park figure out there

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

At a very very rough guess - I'd be saying you'd get maybe 2 to 2.5 parachutes per minute - so once you get to the max 5,000 - you'll be scoring at 10 to 12.5k per minute assuming you shoot nothing at all. I'd hazard a guess that this is probably not the fastest way to bank points - but I've never put it to practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers and sisters here are the official game settings for BOTA OZ & NZ 2019!!

The majority of games listed are on Twin Galaxies (Arcade) settings. For information on MAME roms please see John McNiell’s post earlier in this thread

Things to note:

• if using multiple 60 in 1 boards each board must be locked to an individual game

• suggest using 60 in 1 where possible to avoid using the incorrect MAME rom

• for Metal Slug 3, Final Fight and Blazing Star please leave on continues so scores can be read, these games often boot straight back to the home screen after losing the last life and you miss a players score, continues obviously not allowed

Amidar (TG Stern ROMset - harder)

• Lives: 3

• Bonus Life: 50000 & 80000

• No continues permitted

• Easily matched with a 60 in 1

Blazing Star (NEO GEO Cart) {TG Highest Score 1 Player}

• Player: 3

• Continue: WITH

• Demo Sound: WITH

• How To Play: WITH

• Difficulty: LEVEL 4

• Credit Indi.: WITH

• Level Indi.: WITH OUT

• Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY Variation! You may freely choose your ship type. Continues are NOT allowed!

Burger Time (TG Points)

• Bonus Life: Every 20,000 Points

• End of Level Pepper: ON

• Number of Persuers: 4

Final Fight (CPS1) {TG Points – Single Player}

• Difficulty Level 1: Normal

• Difficulty Level 2: Normal

• Bonus Life: 100,000

• Lives: 2

• Free Play: Off

• Freeze: Off

• Allow Continue: Yes

• Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY Variation! You may freely choose from any available character. Continues are NOT allowed!

Ghosts ‘n Goblins

• Bonus Life: 20000 70000

• Difficulty: Normal

• Special Rules: Excessive leeching in the cave scene is disallowed! Continues are NOT allowed!

Lady Bug (TG Points)

• 3 Lady Bugs

• Easy Difficulty

Metal Slug 3 (NEO GEO Cart) {TG Points – Single Player}

• Hero: 3

• Continue: On

• Difficulty: Level 4

• Play Time: 60

• Play Manual: ON

• Credit/Level: ON/ON

• Language: English

• Blood: ON or Off

• Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY Variation! You may freely choose from any available character. Continues are NOT allowed!

Pac-Man (TG Points – Factory Speed)

• Lives: 5

• Bonus Life: 10000

• Difficulty: Normal

Space Invaders (TG Points)

• Bonus Life: 1500

Time Pilot (MAME marathon settings)

• Number of Planes: 3

• Bonus Plane: 10,000 Points & Every 50,000 Points

• Difficulty: 3

If anyone spots any problems please let me know. Shoot any questions you may have also

Also thanks to Gameroom for nominating Time Pilot. Loving it!!!

Also thanks to Gameroom for nominating Time Pilot. Loving it!!!

Ditto - it's a fantastic game (although the sound is just awful on the 60-1) :)

Things to note:

• if using multiple 60 in 1 boards each board must be locked to an individual game

Just to clarify this, which is something I've spoken to Jimmy about in a private chat - there should be no more than one of each game at each venue. So if you have an original pac-man, you can use that, but you can not have another original pac-man or multiboard machine set to play pac-man. At no single time should two people at one venue be able to play the same game :)

Whey! If Gameroom Essentials are playing, this might give some Victorians a conceivably closer alternative than Sydney.

So...where's the nearest bar of choice from the venue? Any South Australian arcaders have any insight? :)

There is the Midway Tavern just 2 minutes down the road.

There is a BWS in the shopping centre but as the carpark is a dry zone, my lease could be terminated if people drinking in the carpark during the event.

I will make some enquiries about getting a limited licence or weekend licence and extend opening times on the Sunday after the event for people to play some pinball, consoles and talk bullshit for a few hours.

- - - Updated - - -

9094B0FB-51D3-41A7-B188-CD61A53999AC.thumb.jpg.7c8275ac4f67906827217d049d0f27a3.jpg

Bought 10 x 32inch TVs for this event. Will have 10 x raspberry pi’s running the 10 games. If there is any lag on any of the nominated games, then will be replaced by a pc for that game.

So much work to do but should be worth it in the end.

There is the Midway Tavern just 2 minutes down the road.

There is a BWS in the shopping centre but as the carpark is a dry zone, my lease could be terminated if people drinking in the carpark during the event.

I will make some enquiries about getting a limited licence or weekend licence and extend opening times on the Sunday after the event for people to play some pinball, consoles and talk bullshit for a few hours.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148106

Bought 10 x 32inch TVs for this event. Will have 10 x raspberry pi’s running the 10 games. If there is any lag on any of the nominated games, then will be replaced by a pc for that game.

So much work to do but should be worth it in the end.

Awesome stuff Danny, going above and beyond.

I haven't used a Pi - but for the majority of games which are golden age, I doubt lag will be an issue.

- each venue may have up to 10 competitors in their team, though only the top 'x' from each team will go toward the team qualifying score

- 'x' is equal to the team with the lowest amount of qualifiers though this number can not be lower then 6

- teams with lower then 6 competitors will still play though may be at a disadvantage score wise

Just a curious about the points scoring now that John Bartkiw has greateously helped out by allowing his cagtournaments website to be used for scoring.

My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that a team can have 10 players but only the top 6 count (assuming the smallest team is 6 players). I think as is my understanding of how BOTA-USA was run, that a players score doesn't count unless they are in this case a part of the the top overall 6 points scorers for their arcade.

E.g. If I am crap at all games, but blow away everyone else in the competition playing Metal Slug - I should get 100 points - but if I'm not within the the top 6 players at the arcade I play at, then my Metal Slug score doesn't count? Is that right?

Just trying to understand as BOTA-USA scoring was a little different to how I first interpreted it.

Just a curious about the points scoring now that John Bartkiw has greateously helped out by allowing his cagtournaments website to be used for scoring.

My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that a team can have 10 players but only the top 6 count (assuming the smallest team is 6 players). I think as is my understanding of how BOTA-USA was run, that a players score doesn't count unless they are in this case a part of the the top overall 6 points scorers for their arcade.

E.g. If I am crap at all games, but blow away everyone else in the competition playing Metal Slug - I should get 100 points - but if I'm not within the the top 6 players at the arcade I play at, then my Metal Slug score doesn't count? Is that right?

Just trying to understand as BOTA-USA scoring was a little different to how I first interpreted it.

Yep and thanks for your help getting John Bartkiw on board mate

And you are 100% correct with how the scoring will work. If you blow away the comp on one or two games, the points won't count unless your overall score puts you in the top 6 (or x) for your team.

Hey mates

Just a quick update and to clear up some confusion, the BOTA finals period on the Sunday will go from 10am to 6pm. Not 4pm as may have been previously communicated (my bad, hope everyone has the time right)

4 MORE SLEEPS!!!!!

Gotta say guys I am so stoked to be joining the action once again this year. These comps have really done a lot in the way of showcasing & raising public awareness of the burgeoning competetive arcade scene that is rapidly growing around Australia. Its so awesome to see so many arcades who also want to help grow & nurture the arcade culture getting on board and rising to the multiple challenges that this comp puts forward to them.

Good luck to everyone who's playing in all states & in NZ!

The games list is epic this year!! I'm still struggling with Armidar even after numerous attempts last Sunday.. Like 15 attempts in a row at one point, but you know, if we were all good at all the games there'd be no challenge.

- Re-learning Burgertime has been a bit of a struggle too as I haven't played it since I got the pin for it at NW like.. 2 years ago it feels like.

- After playing Metal Slug a few times, learning some tips & putting them into practice, I'm really glad it also part of the list. I never took the time in the past to work out how the MS games played which always ended up in really quick deaths, but now it feels great to roll through the stages and really have fun with it. The human/zombie mechanic in it is just ingenious too =D

- I took a little time this time round to learn 2 or 3 of the Pacman patterns - and wow it opened up the game to me on a whole new level, it almost feels like a game within a game when you are trying to nail all the corners & turn-arounds at the exact right moments to keep yourself from getting eaten. I avoided learning the patterns last year due to thinking I'd never be able to remember them, but after 2 or 3 half-hour 45min sessions across the past 10 weeks, 2 of the patterns have stuck in my mind and it saw me cracking my PB 2 weeks back.

- Always loved Ghosts'N'Goblins ever since playing on C64 as a kid, so looking forward to seeing if I can crack a new PB over the weekend.

I feel that if I can at least make it to level 3 on each game, I'll be happy.

I really wish I could have put more effort into training for and advertising the event this year but my wife & I sadly underestimated the amount of time & resources it would take to kick off a small business while also working full time and that's been sucking up 90% of our free time lately.

Hopefully next year we'll have settled in to the new lifestyle and I can bring the same energy back for AUS & NZ BOTA as I did for last years AUS BOTA and, to an extent, this years USA BOTA.

Thanks again for organising the whole event Jimmy!!

See you all on the battlefield (via the streams)!

It pains me to say it, but unfortunately I won't be able to compete this year. The lack of participation by any Victorian arcades has been disappointing and has narrowed my options. I'll just have to cheer everyone else on and enjoy the twitch feeds. :) Perhaps for fun I'll do a run of scores in the games being competed in over the weekend on mame at home and see if I can make a PB or two.

I hope it all goes smoothly and that the competition is close with NZ and South Australia jumping onboard. Have fun everyone!

It pains me to say it, but unfortunately I won't be able to compete this year. The lack of participation by any Victorian arcades has been disappointing and has narrowed my options. I'll just have to cheer everyone else on and enjoy the twitch feeds. :) Perhaps for fun I'll do a run of scores in the games being competed in over the weekend on mame at home and see if I can make a PB or two.

I hope it all goes smoothly and that the competition is close with NZ and South Australia jumping onboard. Have fun everyone!

So sad the Vic crew won't play this year.

I'll be down your way in about 7 weeks after getting my arse kicked in the Tetris Aussie champs the week before at 1989 in Sydney - let ne know if you (or any of the Vic crew) want to catch up for way too many drinks and some gaming at Bartronica or Pixel Alley - will be down that way prob around 25th or so of July.

Sucks there's no Victorian team this year. I went through the same thing last year and ended up doing a run on all the games for the hell of it. In my case it was fun but frustrating. By my calculations I was in front until NIJ came along late and blew me away. On this year's games that won't be the case. Too many games I suck at or haven't played much of

Good morning arcade fans

The final teams for today's Battle of the Arcades are starting to roll in.

Netherworld

• Jon Tannahill
  • Neil Cairns
  • Shaun Ruhland
  • Michael Kibbey
  • Steven Riding
  • Mike Coolican
  • Ben Piercy
  • Tim Bragg
  • The Cleaner
  • Alix Mclean

Pincadia

• Johnny Bonde
  • John McNeill
  • Shane Sawle
  • Tanya Lowe
  • Adam Vesly
  • Dereck Broadfoot
  • Morgan Kibbey
  • Brad Harman
  • Sean Felgate
  • David Clarke

• Evan Weston
  • Marc Bell
  • Benn Banasik
  • Martin Tain Taylor
  • Matthew Tolhurst
  • Ben Campbell
  • Tom Barbat

Arcadia

• Darrin Harris
  • Hugh Oliver
  • Iain Jamieson
  • Jason Hoseason
  • Leanne Jamieson
  • Matthew Glanville
  • Metua Ure
  • Soraya Boon
  • Steve Ward
  • Andrew McKenzie

Will post the final two teams, twitch links and scoring links as they come to hand so you can watch all the action.

Twitch accounts to follow

twitch.tv

/netherworldarcade

/pincadia

Gameroom Essentials

• Rob MacAuley
  • Jeffrey Riley
  • Danny Daly
  • Dean Gallaghur
  • Scot May
  • Simon Wotton
  • Bianca Daly