Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Arcades OZ & NZ 2019

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Gotta say guys I am so stoked to be joining the action once again this year. These comps have really done a lot in the way of showcasing & raising public awareness of the burgeoning competetive arcade scene that is rapidly growing around Australia. Its so awesome to see so many arcades who also want to help grow & nurture the arcade culture getting on board and rising to the multiple challenges that this comp puts forward to them.

Good luck to everyone who's playing in all states & in NZ!

The games list is epic this year!! I'm still struggling with Armidar even after numerous attempts last Sunday.. Like 15 attempts in a row at one point, but you know, if we were all good at all the games there'd be no challenge.
    - Re-learning Burgertime has been a bit of a struggle too as I haven't played it since I got the pin for it at NW like.. 2 years ago it feels like.
    - After playing Metal Slug a few times, learning some tips & putting them into practice, I'm really glad it also part of the list. I never took the time in the past to work out how the MS games played which always ended up in really quick deaths, but now it feels great to roll through the stages and really have fun with it. The human/zombie mechanic in it is just ingenious too =D
    - I took a little time this time round to learn 2 or 3 of the Pacman patterns - and wow it opened up the game to me on a whole new level, it almost feels like a game within a game when you are trying to nail all the corners & turn-arounds at the exact right moments to keep yourself from getting eaten. I avoided learning the patterns last year due to thinking I'd never be able to remember them, but after 2 or 3 half-hour 45min sessions across the past 10 weeks, 2 of the patterns have stuck in my mind and it saw me cracking my PB 2 weeks back.
    - Always loved Ghosts'N'Goblins ever since playing on C64 as a kid, so looking forward to seeing if I can crack a new PB over the weekend.
    I feel that if I can at least make it to level 3 on each game, I'll be happy.

I really wish I could have put more effort into training for and advertising the event this year but my wife & I sadly underestimated the amount of time & resources it would take to kick off a small business while also working full time and that's been sucking up 90% of our free time lately.
    Hopefully next year we'll have settled in to the new lifestyle and I can bring the same energy back for AUS & NZ BOTA as I did for last years AUS BOTA and, to an extent, this years USA BOTA.

Thanks again for organising the whole event Jimmy!!

See you all on the battlefield (via the streams)!

State
    Vic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    It pains me to say it, but unfortunately I won't be able to compete this year. The lack of participation by any Victorian arcades has been disappointing and has narrowed my options. I'll just have to cheer everyone else on and enjoy the twitch feeds. Perhaps for fun I'll do a run of scores in the games being competed in over the weekend on mame at home and see if I can make a PB or two.

I hope it all goes smoothly and that the competition is close with NZ and South Australia jumping onboard. Have fun everyone!

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
    It pains me to say it, but unfortunately I won't be able to compete this year. The lack of participation by any Victorian arcades has been disappointing and has narrowed my options. I'll just have to cheer everyone else on and enjoy the twitch feeds. Perhaps for fun I'll do a run of scores in the games being competed in over the weekend on mame at home and see if I can make a PB or two.

I hope it all goes smoothly and that the competition is close with NZ and South Australia jumping onboard. Have fun everyone!
    So sad the Vic crew won't play this year.

I'll be down your way in about 7 weeks after getting my arse kicked in the Tetris Aussie champs the week before at 1989 in Sydney - let ne know if you (or any of the Vic crew) want to catch up for way too many drinks and some gaming at Bartronica or Pixel Alley - will be down that way prob around 25th or so of July.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quoted
    704 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post

Sucks there's no Victorian team this year. I went through the same thing last year and ended up doing a run on all the games for the hell of it. In my case it was fun but frustrating. By my calculations I was in front until NIJ came along late and blew me away. On this year's games that won't be the case. Too many games I suck at or haven't played much of

State
    190 Yorktown Road, Craigmore SA
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    287 Post(s)

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Good morning arcade fans

The final teams for today's Battle of the Arcades are starting to roll in.

Netherworld
    • Jon Tannahill
    • Neil Cairns
    • Shaun Ruhland
    • Michael Kibbey
    • Steven Riding
    • Mike Coolican
    • Ben Piercy
    • Tim Bragg
    • The Cleaner
    • Alix Mclean

Pincadia
    • Johnny Bonde
    • John McNeill
    • Shane Sawle
    • Tanya Lowe
    • Adam Vesly
    • Dereck Broadfoot
    • Morgan Kibbey
    • Brad Harman
    • Sean Felgate
    • David Clarke

• Evan Weston
    • Marc Bell
    • Benn Banasik
    • Martin Tain Taylor
    • Matthew Tolhurst
    • Ben Campbell
    • Tom Barbat

Arcadia
    • Darrin Harris
    • Hugh Oliver
    • Iain Jamieson
    • Jason Hoseason
    • Leanne Jamieson
    • Matthew Glanville
    • Metua Ure
    • Soraya Boon
    • Steve Ward
    • Andrew McKenzie

Will post the final two teams, twitch links and scoring links as they come to hand so you can watch all the action.

Twitch accounts to follow

twitch.tv
    /netherworldarcade
    /pincadia

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    @gameroom

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! That setup is amazing