Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Air hockey - switches not registering

Hi everyone

I am refurbishing a Roberto Sports air hockey table that I purchased a few months ago. I'm hoping someone can guide me with some troubleshooting advice as I have hit a wall. The table boots up and plays but is not fully functional. The main issue is that the switches are intermittent. That includes the coin door buttons (credit button, coin slot) as well as the programming switches on the board. The first programming switch is entirely non-functional which means I can't access the menu and change any settings. Sometimes the coin switch, credit switch, and start game switch are also unresponsive. I can't seem to pick when and where they work - it just seems that sometimes they do and sometimes not. Sometimes one will work but the other won't. However the first programming button has always been non-functional.

The board was missing some parts from the audio circuit but I've replaced these. I also replaced the programming button in case the button itself was the issue but no luck. I've reflowed solder on the major components including the voltage regulators, programming buttons and header pins, but no improvement. There were a couple of leaky caps which I replaced but this also made no difference. The board seems to work well - just under 12v and just under 24v is output from each regulator to the rest of the game. However I can't pick what could be causing the switches to malfunction. Nothing else looks out of place to me. There is a ULN2803A on the board which I assume is used in controlling the switches. I've tested this and each gate seems OK. Not sure if any other ICs would be worth investigating.

I've attached some pics of the board. I'm hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting. The game manual is very basic and there are no schematics available (I've asked the manufacturer) so I'm shooting blindly at the moment. Thanks for any help!

20180717_073344785_iOS.thumb.jpg.ef4c5116042c484e1ac2923b3fb10309.jpg

20180717_073405051_iOS.thumb.jpg.2ca7611f74eb09d09e0f4ef89fbd45e8.jpg